Television Anyone else think Family Guy tanked?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I remember loving Family Guy back in the day but in more recent years, the episodes are unrecognizable. The characters seem like horrible versions of themselves.

I think the quality started going down hill around season 5 or 6. I think the last time I actually watched the show and had any interest in it at all was like 2008. I haven't watched a full season since then and I think the last season I saw an episode from where I watched in full was from 2012. Whatever season that was, I lost interest after the 3rd episode.

Since then, I haven't even thought about it unless someone else brings it up or a see it in a meme. They ruined the characters by taking their worst traits and exaggerating them. Peter was once a clueless doof and now he is more of an asshole. Louis was a loving and forgiving wife but she became more and more about sex. Brian was a somewhat deep depressive type and became a dirty drunken marriage wrecker. Meg was a typical growing teen and is now just the toilet seat of the show that everyone wipes their asses on. Quagmire... Well, he is nothing but a sex addicted rapist. I think the only ones that improved had to have been Stewie and Chris but this was because their characters were lacking so much before and even with improvements, both are just as awful as the show is now. The rest of the characters in the show are forgettable at best.

I only just realized that American Dad is still airing new episodes. I thought the show was canceled in like 2011. I preferred that show over Family Guy but I am afraid to watch anything from 2012 onward at this point because that might have been ruined too.

I don't know if it is me getting older or what. Maybe the show and shows like it were never that great to begin with? Or maybe they did tank and a lot of people don't want to admit it. I don't know a single adult who still watches Family Guy and enjoys it. It seems like their target audience is ages 12 to 19 anymore.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I still regularly watch Family Guy. I appreciate the simple (and sometimes not so simple) humor. It's definitely gone downhill and the characters have definitely adapted to the times. But for me, it's still watchable.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I still regularly watch Family Guy. I appreciate the simple (and sometimes not so simple) humor. It's definitely gone downhill and the characters have definitely adapted to the times. But for me, it's still watchable.
I might have just grown out of it then. I did the same with South Park, though South Park is a monster in its own right and has gone up and down for years now. Do you watch American Dad?

• Agree
Reactions: LividJay

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I stopped watching Family Guy after Brian "died". I believe Family Guy ended up getting the Simpsons' effect. Both shows were wildly popular and really good back in the day, but after a certain point (The Simpson's Movie, Life Of Brian), they lost a heap of popularity and quality.

South Park is the only one still going strong, IMO. Both in popularity and in quality.

Last edited:

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I stopped watching Family Guy after Brian "died". I believe Family Guy ended up getting the Simpsons' effect. Both shows were wildly popular and really good back in the day, but after a certain point (The Simpson's Movie, Life Of Brian), they lost a heap of popularity and quality.

South Park is the only one still going strong, IMO. Both in popularity and in quality.

I think Simpsons should have ended with the movie. The show sucks so bad now. At least to me. And South Park has had good seasons and bad ones but they manage to come back from bad ones. I mean a few of their more recent ones you can tell they put a lot of thought into them even though potty humor is at the forefront. Addressing political and social issues by laughing at them works well for the show. The most recent one I can think of is "Macho Man" identifying as a woman and beating all the women at everything. It shows how unfair this is to women in sports to allow biological men to compete with them and the way they did it, it made it funny while addressing the core of the issue.

I don't remember when Brian died. I don't know if i was still following at that point but I do know that what's his face, Seth whatever has said in the past that the show just isn't the same anymore and you can get the impression of them just doing it for the sake of money and the network wanting more. I get that some people still enjoy it, but I kind of just outgrew the characters and couldn't really make a connection with them anymore. It was never up there for me in terms of adult cartoons. I preferred American Dad over it.

My top adult cartoons are Futurama, King of the Hill, Archer, and American Dad (though I don't know how the newer episodes have been). Venture Bros is another good one and I do like South Park when they have a solid season.

Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Family Guy plateaued, they absolutely did. It used to be a great show, had some seriously funny moments, but now it's so forced and hard to watch it just doesn't feel watchable. The Simpsons still has its' moments, but they also plateaued and have outlived their purpose. Shame, because Futurama was a much better (IMO) show at the time they killed it off, could have gone at least another season or two, and yet they killed it off while The Simpsons keeps going. If they can see that Futurama needed to end, why can't they see that The Simpsons needs to go, as well? Move on, make a new show with new characters (not Disenchantment, that was...no...). American Dad was the same, it was funny for a good while, had some great episodes, and then just like Family Guy, it reached a point where they were just trying too hard, forcing too much and introducing plots that were just not funny or interesting to watch. I love Patrick Stewart, amazing actor, but Bullock just became such a horrible character to watch after a while because his lines were so forced for the whole "OMG listen to what Patrick Stewart said!!" effect.

The shows that did it right were King of the Hill and Futurama, and I'll give South Park credit for not being quite where The Simpsons and Family Guy are, but they're pushing things towards that end, as well. King of the Hill ended when it needed to end and in a way that made sense, the show was funny throughout, had a chance to develop some great characters and had some bigger emotional moments, as well, and then it ended. Futurama was awesome, had some incredible emotional moments and some absolutely hilarious moments throughout the whole show, and while I feel it ended a bit prematurely, it ended in such a perfect way, as well. You get the closure, but you also get the "man, I want more of that!" feeling.

Family Guy definitely needs to figure themselves out or end the show, they're just not good anymore.

Reactions: Beerus

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Family Guy is shot. South Park is very back and forth. I miss King of the Hill terribly and Mike Judge needs to do another show damnit! Now that Bojack is completed on Netflix I just stick to Rick and Morty for my adult animated comedies.

Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Family Guy is shot. South Park is very back and forth. I miss King of the Hill terribly and Mike Judge needs to do another show damnit! Now that Bojack is completed on Netflix I just stick to Rick and Morty for my adult animated comedies.
Forgot about Bojack. That was another good adult cartoon.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: