Dragon Ball Super Beerus' 70% statement. Was that anime filler?

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
In Battle of Gods, Beerus states that he had to use 70% of his power to fight Goku at the peak of the fight.

I'm guessing that's just anime filler, because it's contradicted by virtually everything you learn during the ToP.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Toei writers just pulling things out of their ass. It’s like that with most all the anime only stuff.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
There are a lot of contradictions in the anime. I think things are written in and then forgotten about. This is why it would be better for them to stick closer to the manga.

scoutterSSJ

Saiyan Grunt
In Battle of Gods, Beerus states that he had to use 70% of his power to fight Goku at the peak of the fight.

I'm guessing that's just anime filler, because it's contradicted by virtually everything you learn during the ToP.
Nope, that line was also in the movies and Toei simply incorporated it into the series.
The problem here is that between the movies and the serialization of Super's manga Toriyama decided to retcon a few things from the movies. That's what has been retconned in the manga from the very beginning:
1. Bills being that close to SSJGod Goku.
2. SSJGod powers being incorporated into Goku's base state completely (the base state gets stronger but still below any SSJ form, and the SSJGod transformation becomes available to Goku instead).

The problem with the anime is that it began following the logic of the movies and in the end it had to end following the "logic" of the manga (well, trying to do so at least, because Toei's writters are awful) so the first sagas contradict a lot the last ones.

Regards!

scoutterSSJ

Saiyan Grunt
I've probably said this too many times...the inconsistency in Super is terrible.
The anime is bullshit in terms of consistency, to the point I say that you don't know DBS if you hadn't read the manga. The manga has it's own share of flaws (mostly in this moro saga) but it's a much, much more coherent version of the story.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
The anime is bullshit in terms of consistency, to the point I say that you don't know DBS if you hadn't read the manga. The manga has it's own share of flaws (mostly in this moro saga) but it's a much, much more coherent version of the story.
Admittedly, I have not read any of the manga. Something I've been wanting to do for sure.

Giant Saiyan Penis

Saiyan Grunt
After the fight, Whis said Beerus had lied about using 70%, if I remember correctly. Or it could be he lied about using 100%. I can't remember which.

scoutterSSJ

Saiyan Grunt
Admittedly, I have not read any of the manga. Something I've been wanting to do for sure.
I totally recommend it you. It's not perfect by any means, but I enjoyed it a lot the first time I was reading it having seen the anime before. It was like discovering what Toriyama really had on mind for those arcs and nearly every single plot-point seen in the anime which I found bullshitty was changed or fixed (Trunks' asspulled powerups, Trunks doing the mafuba, KKx10 on top of SSJB not killing Hit in the spot, to give some examples).
It's also fairly short and won't waste your time (the Battle of Gods movie is adapted super-fast and RoF is literally skiped even if it's acknowledged inside the continuiti of the series).

Regards!

Reactions: LividJay

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
After the fight, Whis said Beerus had lied about using 70%, if I remember correctly. Or it could be he lied about using 100%. I can't remember which.
It just seems like come the ToP (I know this bit was from the movie though), Goku reaching ultra instinct put him close to Beerus' full strength. Based on the reactions in the anime anyways. He still wasn't stronger than him even at that point. So I would say Beerus lied about using 70% and used less than 50%.
I am horrible with power stats though so :gulp:

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
In the anime, due to how Kaio-ken was introduced, Beerus couldn't have been using more than 1% or so against Bog SSG Goku. It's insane.

Yeah, food for thought

SSJG = 1 = 70%
SSJB = at least 2 (Some think it's 50)
SSJB Kaioken x20 = 40
40 = 28x stronger than Beerus at 70% lol

The theory I read that I like is that SSJG really was MUCH stronger than SSJB. Beerus' statement that Goku's strength wasn't much lower after losing it is the part you'd have to ignore.

scoutterSSJ

Saiyan Grunt
You'd think it would be the other way around but that is color haired Saiyan logic for you.
Well in fact the SSJB was always meant to be SSJ on top of SSJG powers, so even when the anime did a very poor job of portraying it (until the ToP saga I would say the SSGod was portrayed as a stronger form because of how badly written the anime was) it was always meant to be that way.
In the manga on the other hand there's no doubt that the SSJBlue is stronger than the SSJGod.

Regards!

• Informative
Reactions: Beerus

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Blue is stronger because it's Super Saiyan stacked on top of the god power. Theoretically, they could stack the higher Super Saiyan forms on top of that but it betrays two current schools of thought. 1.) That SSJ2 and SSJ3 are just mutations of SSJ and put more stress than necessary on the body. 2.) SSJ can be trained to be just as strong as SSJ2 and SSJ3. For example, like how Future Trunks' SSJ2 was just as strong as SSJ3 because he mastered the form. If you keep training you'll get stronger and stronger.

All of this not withstanding SSJ4 because it only it exists in GT and Super Dragon Ball Heroes which is a PV for a video game. Until we see someone use it in the main series it's going to be "less canonical" than SSJ or SSB. Regardless of this fact, MSSJ4GA!
:cheeky:

Reactions: Beerus

Notaka

Saiyan Grunt
Wait, was it in Super? I remember it being in the original movie.

Looking back at some posts, I see something about Whis claiming Beerus lied, so that's probably the writer's excuse. It doesn't really make sense because Goku keeps on getting heaps and heaps stronger yet it takes until Ultra Instinct for him to be "maybe" stronger than Beerus.

Reactions: Blockinlick
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: