News Cops Tackle 73 Year-Old Grandmother with Dementia while Picking Wildflowers on the Side of the Road

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan

It's come to light that last summer police followed a woman walking home who had been accused of shoplifting from a local walmart, they had their lights on and it appeared the woman did not notice them. When she finally stopped to pick wildflowers, officers asked her why she failed to stop, at which point she gave them a blank expression, said something unintelligible and then attempted to move away. Officer Austin Hopp then grabbed the 73 year-old woman, Karen Garner who has dementia, shoved her to the grass and pulled her arms behind her back, wildflowers still clutched in her hand. A second officer arrived to assist with the arrest, as Officer Hopp shoved her arm into a painful upward position. Officers repeatedly threw her to the ground before hogtying her and placing her in the back of a police vehicle where she cried repeatedly "I'm going home." Garner was transported to the hospital several hours later where it was reported she had a dislocated shoulder, a fractured humerus bone, a sprained wrist, and a multitude of bruises across her body. Garner's family is now suing the the police department "While Garner’s children were doing their best to keep an eye on her, she slipped out to Walmart the afternoon of her arrest, Schielke said. Later, Garner wound up wandering out of the store without paying for Pepsi, a candy bar, a T-shirt, and some stain-removing wipes—worth less than $14 altogether." The Walmart security staff called police after retrieving the items from Garner and refusing her attempt to pay. She was charged with theft of less than $50, obstructing a peace officer and resisting arrest. The charges were then dismissed in August. "The intense encounter with police has still left its scars, though. Garner’s children have told Schielke that she’s able to find some peace playing solitaire, listening to music, or doing crafts at a memory care facility, but has otherwise become withdrawn and mistrustful. They noted that in the past, Garner was the ultimate, crafty home-maker, who loved to go to concerts and play cards."

In spite of her having shoplifted, which you can almost guarantee was unintentional, this article has my blood absolutely boiling. It hits very close to home, so I know how scared this woman was while she was being manhandled by these officers. I understand they likely thought she was just a crazy woman, but when you have a 5 foot tall, 80lbs elderly woman who appears to be mentally impaired and she's resisting because she's terrified, you DON'T FUCKING TACKLE THAT WOMAN AND WRENCH HER ARMS BEHIND HER BACK. You ignorant fucks. Have an ambulance come, place her on a hold until family can be located and let her go on her way. It's patently obvious when someone has dementia and they don't know what they're doing. Learn the signs, you fucking morons. Dammit I hate these kinds of things. I'm terrified it's what's going to happen to my mother if she ever gets out on her own. She can't communicate effectively, she's frail, she's "stolen" $14 worth of things, which they recovered before the police encountered her...just what the fuck? Train these officers on how to recognize dementia, and how to interact with someone who has it!

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I need to add a WTF rating. Holy crap that is just awful. I mean... I legit have no words. He could have broken her hip or any other bone very easily.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I watched the first three minutes of the body cam video and nearly broke my phone in rage. Those miserable fucks had no right to treat her that way. I respect the police, I do, I think most are good people who have their reputation tarnished by a few bad apples, but this is plain wrong. 100%. She's 5' and 80lbs, the cop was easily over double her weight and significantly taller and he's got the nerve to throw her to the ground and then shove her against the police car like that? That's unreasonable use of force at best, and damn near assault at worst. I hope the family get some justice out of this, although what that would be I have no idea. Monetary gains aren't really going to help her, are they? Probably help the family, though...so there's that...

• Agree
Reactions: Beerus

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
This is from the YT video:

Ms. Garner is 73 years old and suffers from dementia and sensory aphasia, which impairs her ability to verbally communicate and understand others’ communications. She is five feet tall and weighs 80 pounds. On the afternoon of June 26, 2020, she was walking through a field to her home two blocks away, picking wildflowers, bothering no one, when Officer Hopp pulled up behind her, and called out to her to stop and talk to him. When she indicated she did not understand him, and turned to continue walking home, he grabbed her and violently assaulted her, twisting her arms behind her back, throwing her to the ground and handcuffing her. Just eight seconds passed between Officer Hopp reaching Ms. Garner and Officer Hopp throwing her tiny body to the ground and putting her in handcuffs.

Defendant Officer Jalali then arrived and assisted Officer Hopp in violently and needlessly dislocating Ms. Garner’s shoulder, fracturing her humerus, and spraining her wrist. Then they threw her onto the ground again and hog-tied her. Throughout this attack, the only thing the terrified, disabled and injured Ms. Garner was able to utter was “I’m going home!”. She cried out these words over 38 times. Supervising officer Sergeant Metzler arrived on scene in the middle of this event, approved of the brutality, helped his subordinates to cover it up, and then directed that Ms. Garner be denied access to medical care for her injuries afterward. He kept his own bodyworn camera deactivated and failed to write a report afterwards regarding the use of force, both in violation of Loveland Police’s written policies.

Despite the visible dislocation of her arm from her shoulder, and Ms. Garner’s repeated complaints of pain while on scene and in the several hours she remained in their care and control that followed, none of the defendant officers nor anyone else at the Loveland Police Department ever sought medical care for Ms. Garner, in violation of Loveland Police’s written policies regarding use of force and injuries. No one ever obtained mental health assistance for the observably mentally disabled Ms. Garner. Instead, the officers handcuffed her to a cell at the station for over 2 hours, keeping her isolated and terrified, in extreme pain, and then deposited her at the Larimer County jail where they lied and said she was uninjured, which ensured she continued to not receive medical treatment for another 3 hours.

Loveland’s justification for all this? Ms. Garner was suspected of having exited a Walmart without paying for $13.88 of items. Forgetting to pay for items at a store is one of the most common and well-known symptoms witnessed in elderly persons suffering from dementia. Nearly 20 percent of all adults of Ms. Garner’s age or more are suffering from some form of dementia.

On 4/14/21, Ms. Garner filed a federal lawsuit alleging civil rights and ADA violations against Loveland for this incident. What little freedom and happiness Ms. Garner enjoyed in her life as an elderly adult with declining mental health was, on June 26, 2020, obliterated by the Loveland Police Department. She has become withdrawn, depressed, afraid to go outdoors. She has lost most functional use of her left arm and now requires assistance to shower and get dressed. The district attorney’s office completely dismissed the case and charges against her. And despite the entire event being captured on bodyworn cameras, not one officer or supervisor involved in the violations of her civil rights at Loveland has been disciplined.

“Ms. Garner’s experience with Loveland Police is not about bad apples,” says her attorney, Sarah Schielke. “It is about culture. And the culture in Loveland is one of lack of care, lack of humility. Loveland Police officers have enrobed themselves with a completely unaccountable authoritarian superiority. They demand total obedience and submission from everyone – including the disabled elderly – and if you don’t immediately capitulate, they will make you pay for it.”

“This is not community policing. This is community terrorism,” says Schielke. “Ms. Garner is one of the most vulnerable members of our community – a mother, a grandmother, a tiny, frail human with cognitive disabilities – and they treated her like an animal.” “And,” adds Schielke, “if this is what they’re doing to a terrified elderly lady with dementia, what do you think they’re doing to everyone else?”

Handled so fucking wrong.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Yeah, this is not okay.
All I can see when I watch that video is my own mother and how she'd react in the same situation. It's absolutely terrifying to think of that.

If this is considered ok by this department, then this department needs to be replaced, removed, whatever. This is a disgrace, and if this is how they're treating an elderly woman with dementia, what the hell are they doing to people more capable?

• Agree

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I want these cops to go through what this poor woman went through. I want this very badly. I want them confused, scared, disoriented, and then approached by someone much bigger than them, manhandled, bones broken, and left to sit with that pain for hours without help. The more I learn about these assholes, the more I want them punished.

It's just come to light that these assholes celebrated -- CELEBRATED -- after arresting a 73 year old, 80lb woman with dementia as though they'd just captured Charlie Manson or something. In surveillance footage just released by Karen Garner's attorney, the two primary cops responding, Hopp and Jilali, can be seen fist bumping, with Hopp asking, while watching the body cam footage, "ready for the pop," referring to the moment he dislocated her shoulder. When Jilali asked how he thinks it went, Hopp responded with "went great" and that they "crushed it." Garner was then left COMPLETELY ALONE in a cell for hours before family were contacted. Confused, scared. Fractured bones, dislocated shoulder, sprained wrist. NOT A SINGLE SIGN of anyone getting help for her until her family were finally notified and then they came and got her. Fuck these officers. These are not good people, not good police officers, and hopefully soon will not be officers. They have no business whatsoever being in a position of authority if that is how they treat the most vulnerable of people. This makes my blood boil, I can only imagine how it makes the family feel looking over this.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Why aren't more people outraged over this? People are outraged over a cop shooting a girl who was trying to stab someone else but not this? There are some real assholes in blue but we need to stop acting like they only act this way to black people. If a cop is a dick, he/she is a massive dick to everyone. This kind of stuff needs to stop.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
They even transferred her to the jail with a note that said NO INJURIES! NO FUCKING INJURIES! And if you look at the pictures at the end of her bruising, it's so damn bad. This gets me because it hits home, but surely anyone who watches this with a shred of common decency left in them will be outraged by it. It must. I don't know why this isn't a bigger deal, because this is absolutely awful. They need to be fired, charged with assault and thrown in jail. This cannot be ok. Ever. The Police Department even said they'd never heard of this incident until the lawsuit was filed, but you hear them in the video saying it was going to goto Blue Team, the system that deals with use of force situations, so the PD itself lied. It's so wrong.

• Agree

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
They even transferred her to the jail with a note that said NO INJURIES! NO FUCKING INJURIES! And if you look at the pictures at the end of her bruising, it's so damn bad. This gets me because it hits home, but surely anyone who watches this with a shred of common decency left in them will be outraged by it. It must. I don't know why this isn't a bigger deal, because this is absolutely awful. They need to be fired, charged with assault and thrown in jail. This cannot be ok. Ever. The Police Department even said they'd never heard of this incident until the lawsuit was filed, but you hear them in the video saying it was going to goto Blue Team, the system that deals with use of force situations, so the PD itself lied. It's so wrong.
They should get the same treatment as the other cops that had to go to trial and face prison time for this. It is just not okay.

• Agree
Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
  • Agree
Reactions: Super Kami Guru

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
As much as that would bring justice it depends on a few factors. 1.) Is the DA willing to charge them? 2.) Does the family want to press charges? 3.) Maybe a deal was cut between the top brass and the DA that if they resigned they wouldn't pursue criminal charges against them. I know it's shitty and it doesn't bring closure, but it's a possibility that one or all of these things went down behind the scenes.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
download.gif

• Funny
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking: