Do Saiyans have an addiction problem?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
We primarily see this through Goku. He acts as if he can't get enough battles and fights from people. This started becoming noticeable during the Saiyan Saga when he stopped Krillin from killing Vegeta just so he could fight him again. I am not complaining about that though, loves me some Vegeta, but it seems like a foolish thing to do. When Goku was on Namek, he proclaims that he will never forgive King Kai if he removes him from the planet while it was being destroyed. Another more recent act was when he ignored King Kai for the 100th time when it came to Beerus and challenged him.

I know Saiyans are a warrior race and lighting, gaining strength, and conquering is in their blood. While Goku may have got bonked on the head as a child that effectively made him more friendly and passive, he can't escape the constant need to fight. We see this with Vegeta as well but his deals more with pride than anything. I know they say "royal Saiyans" have a different kind of bloodline. He is more intelligent and more geared at family lineage because of this. I feel like he has toned things down quite a bit and can control these urges better thank Goku.

It almost seems as if Saiyans as a whole have an addiction problem. Like they are so addicted to fighting and power, they are willing to put anything at risk just to win a fight. Even Goku with his kind heart has put his friends and family in harm's way time, and time again. We can even see this in Trunks (as a child) and Goten. Gohan and Future Trunks seem to be the only ones who differ from this. We even see this drive to fight in Pan in GT.

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I think it is common in Saiyans that don't make use of their Ozaru forms, at least that's how it seems. Taking the Bardock movie as an example, the Saiyans were simply doing their job and wiping out a planet in their Ozaru form and then it was as if it was just a job, because it was. They got stronger from fighting, but none of them seemed to be obsessed with gaining power or getting into yet another fight. Goku for sure has this addiction for power and getting to the next goal, and Vegeta has an addiction to keeping up with the Kakarotdashians, but I don't think it's common, per se, for all Saiyans, otherwise there would have been Super Saiyans even under Freiza's rule, because they would just keep getting stronger and stronger and eventually tap into it.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
keeping up with the Kakarotdashians
:haha:

There could be something to that though. Maybe going into their ape smash form keeps them more relaxed/calmer in some ways. Vegeta even seemed more obsessed with power after he lost his tail. And Gohan lost his as a child which could explain why he doesn't care so much about gaining power.

• Agree
Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
:haha:

There could be something to that though. Maybe going into their ape smash form keeps them more relaxed/calmer in some ways. Vegeta even seemed more obsessed with power after he lost his tail. And Gohan lost his as a child which could explain why he doesn't care so much about gaining power.
Yeah, it just seems like the Saiyans that transform into Ozaru don't really seem as driven to get stronger and stronger. They get stronger, because they're Saiyans, but they don't seem as pushed to get to their peaks like non-Ozaru Saiyans do. Small sample size, I suppose, but that's how it seems to me.

Reactions: Beerus

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
Goku also spared Vegeta because of the state he was in. Krillin killing him at near death while attempting to escape just didn't sit right with him.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
There's something to be said about their individual personality traits. Goku seems to be driven by pleasure and enjoyment that he gets from the thrill of battle. Vegeta on the other hand has his pride in himself and as of Super his family. I feel like all Saiyans are driven individuals whether they're full blooded or not. It just manifests differently from person to person. I tried to look into this subject as deeply as I could since I undertook my writing and I even consulted with Derek Padula on the matter.

He went on to say in his own findings that Toriyama indeed intended for it to be a core trait of the Saiyan race that they live for battle, but it's not their sole driving character trait, but a building block per say. It's why Goku and Vegeta operate as parallel foils to one another. They're alike, but different in how they approach things.

I broached the subject with my own characters to explore if half-breeds can exhibit the same traits as their Saiyan parent and indeed they can. Shihori has even gone on to manifest it physically that during the course of an engagement she showed her opponent that her hands were shaking. They laughed as they thought this was an expression of fear, but she went on to correct them and said it was excitement from the heat of battle. That physical manifestation of anticipation and eagerness. Like how some people pace or wring their hands together.

Kid Goku

VIdeospiel-Man Website IS Out! Enjoy Chapters 1+2!
Super Saiyan 4
I think the meta reason for this thing is that toriyama wanted to use vegeta and didnt know how to let him escape its similar to the yamcha is a cheater thingy!

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: