SPOILER! Goku almost gets the universe destroyed...again

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I just got around to reading DBS vols 14 and 15. Goku didn't learn from the mistake with Cell and his over-trusting nature...he gives Moro a senzu bean after wiping the ground with him and almost gets the entire universe destroyed. Yeah, there were some cool moments, but, it's just furthering my disdain for this franchise at this point.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I feel like they were trying to do some sort of fanservice here but I am not sure for who. Nothing will compare to DB and DBZ at this point, at least not to me. This is why I try not to compare DBS to them. I get it though. They are trying the same things they knew got reactions from fans and making Goku look a damn fool again.

Reactions: LividJay

Giga Hertz

The beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair
Super Saiyan God
I just assumed they were asked to pad the story out a little more.

That said, if anything good came out of that arc, I loved the sequence of panels when he went full UI - I had Faulconer's Super Saiyan theme playing in my head the whole time. :krillinpalm:

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I feel like they were trying to do some sort of fanservice here but I am not sure for who. Nothing will compare to DB and DBZ at this point, at least not to me. This is why I try not to compare DBS to them. I get it though. They are trying the same things they knew got reactions from fans and making Goku look a damn fool again.
It was just awful. I actually cringed and was almost shouting at my screen, "What the fuck are you thinking, moron!?"
I just assumed they were asked to pad the story out a little more.

That said, if anything good came out of that arc, I loved the sequence of panels when he went full UI - I had Faulconer's Super Saiyan theme playing in my head the whole time. :krillinpalm:
That, indeed, was pretty bad ass. It actually reminded me of Goku's first time turning SSJ. They were similar circumstances.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
It was just awful. I actually cringed and was almost shouting at my screen, "What the fuck are you thinking, moron!?"
Goku hasn't had any real character growth when you think about it and they set him back when they do this stuff even more. I just don't get it.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Goku hasn't had any real character growth when you think about it and they set him back when they do this stuff even more. I just don't get it.
yeap, we've seen almost every other major character in the series grow. Not Goku, though. In fact, it seems like he's devolving.

• Agree
Reactions: Beerus

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
Goku may still love fighting in Super, but he is NOT the pure hearted character we know him as in Z.

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
This is a common criticism of the arc and I get it, but I personally didn't have any issue with it. I have a different major issue with Moro arc's ending lol, but I don't know if that's covered in the volumes you got so I'll keep my mouth shut on that front. I will however give my perspective on the Goku thing.

I think the biggest problem with it is that it's a narrative repeat (not one I minded since they set it up earlier in the arc), but I don't really think Goku was being stupid there. Selfish and reckless? Absolutely. Stupid? Not so much. Is there a distinction there that matters? Probably not to most, but to me.

For starters, sparing enemies has gone over incredibly well for Goku in the past, Cell's not the only experience he has to pull from. Piccolo and Vegeta work wonders for him, and the first time with Frieza didn't backfire in any way either. & the Moro case situation is actually closer to that. Goku gains control over a powerful new transformation and decimated his opponent, clearly out-classing them. Goku didn't mop the floor with Cell, they were seemingly evenly-matched but Goku knew he was weaker than Cell and believed in his son too much.

The problem with Cell was Gohan, when Goku told Gohan to finish Cell off, Gohan brushed him off saying he was going to make him suffer more. Compare that to the Moro situation, when Whis tells Goku to finish him off, Goku immediately goes for the killing blow, he just didn't get it off before Moro did the thing (I don't wanna spoil that). That's learning a lesson from Cell, listen to the wiser fighters when they tell you to finish things.

Also, you mention over-trusting, but I don't believe for one second that Goku actually believed Moro would keep his words on the senzu bean offer. When Moro does the hand or the end thing, Goku is shown clearly shocked by those actions, but when Moro attacks him after eating the bean, Goku doesn't even react. He totally did that to show Moro how out-classed he was, as a manipulation tactic to hopefully get him to agree. And when he says no again, Goku does go in for the kill (though gets distracted fairly easily by a simple question).

BUT

The main reason I didn't have an issue with it is the alternative was Goku stomping Moro and ending the arc with an easy victory. They spent so much time on Vegeta's character arc, I would've hated if all that amounted too was Vegeta gets bodied so Goku can save the day again. This way Vegeta was able to use his power to play an instrumental part in Moro's defeat, as well the other helper. Reading monthly, I was more worried about this all just defaulting to Goku does everything, so I was relieved when I saw they gave an opportunity for Vegeta to shine instead.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: