Goku is the main hero and main antagonist of DBZ and DBS

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
This is somewhat of a controversial topic. Some people may not agree with it, but hear me out...

Now I may have mentioned this before on here, I am not really sure but looking over the context of Dragon Ball, especially DBZ and DBS, a lot of the trouble that happened dealing with the Earth was down to Goku and his desire to constantly get into fights and never completely destroy the enemy. Piccolo was spared. Raditz was killed by Gohan. Vegeta was spared. Frieza was spared (at least in my eyes). The Androids were not taken care of. Gohan killed Cell. Buu was not properly handled when he should have been (again, Goku's fault) so he eventually too was spared. Beerus was antagonized by Goku for a fight. Future Trunks killed Zamasu. Goku ultimately made the selfish choice to put every universe's existence on the line by bringing it up to Zeno. I'm not even mentioning the movies here either but you all know who was to blame for most of it....

All the danger that surrounded these cases was down to Goku's obsession with fighting and no will to actually destroy anyone. Now I get that this makes the story what it is and ultimately, many of these characters shifted to the good side after having known Goku but it still doesn't make him a "hero". In fact, Vegeta is more of a hero when you look at his history and how much he had to overcome to get to where he is now. Goku has remained the same for the entirety of the story with only power levels increasing.

...Not to mention it but Goku is a horrible husband and father. There. I said it.

Goku is the main antagonist and anti-hero of Dragon Ball while seemingly still being gifted the label of hero. Nothing against Goku or the series, I have fully enjoyed it all (even GT to a lesser extent) but let's be real here... Goku is kind of a dick. lol

• Agree
Reactions: India Actual

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
I'll give it to Toriyama though, writing a flat character arc for your protagonist is IMMENSELY difficult. It's why Goku is gone and out of the action for like 2/3 of Z. If he was around all the time the other characters wouldn't have any growth whatsoever. I think we can apply this same formula over to Super and it's troubles, well, at least partially. If Goku was removed from the main plotline for any period of time then it would be up to other characters to shoulder the burden. Think about all the incredible storylines we missed out on involving Vegeta and Gohan just because Goku is freaking alive!!!!

If they were smart when Super returns they would figure out how to send Goku away for awhile and not just killed him. Like send him to a different universe for awhile or something then have Earth and/or Universe 7 attacked. I know Vegeta has been his right hand man as of late and I'm happy he's getting more screen time but he needs some more character growth. It would be an immense disservice to just have him fall into the role of being a father and part-time hero.

Goku doesn't have any character flaws either other than his burning desire to fight everything he sees. A good character needs a flaw to make them not only relatable, but something for them to strive to overcome.

I'm going to pitch my own characters briefly to be a self-serving A-hole but here I go....

Korian - Wounded warrior. Suffers from an abandonment complex. Strong desire to protect his loved ones and never lose his family again. Stems from the loss of his parents.

Shihori - Emotionally driven character, quick to react. Experienced bouts of PTSD and substance abuse. Realizes flaws and needs to put in actual work to overcome them.

Kitsune - Depressed alcoholic. Lost her family due to her own hubris. Suffered from long bouts of depression with suicidal thoughts. Meeting Korian helped bring her around somewhat. Still works to battle her demons.

Sorrel - Hot headed survivor. Raised on the streets, giving her a kill or be killed attitude. Reacts somewhat passionately in adverse situations. Has a foul mouth. Passed the trait on to her daughter. Works to overcome her irresponsible nature and become a better partner and mother to her children.

I'm not saying it's easy, but it can be done to make interesting characters that aren't perfect. Try it sometime Dragon Ball writers, maybe you'll surprise us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
If they were smart when Super returns they would figure out how to send Goku away for awhile and not just killed him. Like send him to a different universe for awhile or something then have Earth and/or Universe 7 attacked. I know Vegeta has been his right hand man as of late and I'm happy he's getting more screen time but he needs some more character growth. It would be an immense disservice to just have him fall into the role of being a father and part-time hero.
I'd be down for a Vegeta OR Piccolo run, heck even both. Let them shine.

Goku doesn't have any character flaws either other than his burning desire to fight everything he sees. A good character needs a flaw to make them not only relatable, but something for them to strive to overcome.
His flaw is the reason for the series. He is addicted to fight club!! :tough2:

Reactions: India Actual

Kid Goku

VIdeospiel-Man Website IS Out! Enjoy Chapters 1+2!
Super Saiyan 4
When it comes to Z Vegeta is the main antagonist causing all trouble in the Saiyan arc some in freeza and cell and most of it in the Buu arc!
also antagonist is the wrong word i mean an antagonist is soimeone the audience is suposed to hate and that doent apply to goku even the Husband thing is a bit iffy considering how unsympathetic Chichi can be!

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I disagree. Dragon Ball isn't as complex as Attack On Titan, where the main character there really actually is the main protagonist and the main antagonist.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: