Goku used Hakai?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I know there are a lot of differences within the anime when compared to the manga but I have got to say, this is a pretty hefty one. The fact that he was able to use a God of Destruction's move is quite insane. While in the manga, he didn't do it as good or as accurately as Beerus, he was still able to perform the move to a certain degree.

It is also stated that his power gets severely drained from using it so there is a handicap involved which makes it more believable. If he was able to retain his power like Beerus, it would mean Goku was way too OP and it would honestly tarnish him as a character. Zamasu ends up using Mai as a shield to stop Goku's attack showing how unskilled he is in using it. When Beerus uses it, there is no time to act against it.

I am curious what you guys think of this. Should it have been included in the anime? Should Goku have been able to use it at all?

dsgdsg.jpeg

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I thought it was pretty epic and it would have been great if Goku did it in the anime, as well. I think it's natural for him to pick it up considering he has trained with Whis and sparred with Beerus.

Reactions: Beerus

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Even though he copied the move by seeing it, it was quite cool. Realistic too how it took all his focus to pull it off. I did something similar in my writings that was inspired by this moment.

Neo Xeron

Saiyan Grunt
Do you guys think this is a hint that Goku will become a destroyer? It's a huge stretch, but meh, might be possible.

Carnotaurus

Roar!
Super Saiyan
But what if he masters it? Will he use it? We all know that when Goku grew up, he had trouble killing his enemies, even if the lives of his friends and family were at stake. Be it out of mercy or simply to keep a "back-up" challenge. So, I don't know, this technique seems a bit contradictory to his morality, or even to the morality of the show itself. It will give him an unfair advantage over his enemies and I don't think it would go unnoticed by the gods. They will likely point it out or even turn against him, given how dangerous it is. I think just leave the obliteration to the GoDs hm? Just my two cents.

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
It's weird, if this moment was included in the anime I would have no issue with it but in the manga it bothered the hell out of me. Probably the only issue I have with the manga version of the Zamasu fight. First of all, Goku's earliest established trait was his ability to quickly pick up on stuff, there was the Kamehameha obviously but even in chapter one he quickly learns how to drive Bulma's bike so I don't have any issue with the idea that Goku could use Hakai by witnessing Beerus do it but the thing is, in the manga continuity he never witnesses Beerus performing it. In the anime it would've been fine since Goku accompanied Beerus when he Hakai'd Zamasu (one of the most BAMF moments in all of Dragon Ball) but Kibito replaces Goku in the manga, so Goku never sees Beerus perform it.

Now, you can argue that Goku simply saw Beerus perform it elsewhere off-screen but I don't see when Beerus would've performed it with Goku around. As far as we've seen, Beerus hasn't been destroying anything, and if he was I. why would he take Goku with him & B. He didn't need it to destroy planets. There's no real logical reason why Goku would've seen that move (considering the moves power it's not like Beerus would just whip it out without just cause) and even if you can believe the premise that he did see it off-screen, that's not satisfying from a narrative standpoint. You shouldn't use off-screen never alluded to moments as justification for a new ability or power-up. If Goku seen it previously in the arc, then him using it would've been awesome with what's been established with Goku's character. But instead, we just get introduced to a technique that Beerus has in context without Goku around but that does not work as a build-up for Goku being able to use it. Establishing the presence of an ability alone does not constitute as seeding Goku being able to use it.

Basically, the anime did the leg-work that would've made Goku using it being an awesome nod to the character and a great moment but chose not to have him do it while the manga had him do it without doing any of the prep to make it actually work.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
It's weird, if this moment was included in the anime I would have no issue with it but in the manga it bothered the hell out of me. Probably the only issue I have with the manga version of the Zamasu fight. First of all, Goku's earliest established trait was his ability to quickly pick up on stuff, there was the Kamehameha obviously but even in chapter one he quickly learns how to drive Bulma's bike so I don't have any issue with the idea that Goku could use Hakai by witnessing Beerus do it but the thing is, in the manga continuity he never witnesses Beerus performing it. In the anime it would've been fine since Goku accompanied Beerus when he Hakai'd Zamasu (one of the most BAMF moments in all of Dragon Ball) but Kibito replaces Goku in the manga, so Goku never sees Beerus perform it.

Now, you can argue that Goku simply saw Beerus perform it elsewhere off-screen but I don't see when Beerus would've performed it with Goku around. As far as we've seen, Beerus hasn't been destroying anything, and if he was I. why would he take Goku with him & B. He didn't need it to destroy planets. There's no real logical reason why Goku would've seen that move (considering the moves power it's not like Beerus would just whip it out without just cause) and even if you can believe the premise that he did see it off-screen, that's not satisfying from a narrative standpoint. You shouldn't use off-screen never alluded to moments as justification for a new ability or power-up. If Goku seen it previously in the arc, then him using it would've been awesome with what's been established with Goku's character. But instead, we just get introduced to a technique that Beerus has in context without Goku around but that does not work as a build-up for Goku being able to use it. Establishing the presence of an ability alone does not constitute as seeding Goku being able to use it.

Basically, the anime did the leg-work that would've made Goku using it being an awesome nod to the character and a great moment but chose not to have him do it while the manga had him do it without doing any of the prep to make it actually work.

That does seem a bit strange considering he would have to see the move preformed to learned it which we see he did in the anime yet he doesn't perform the hakai. Maybe it was just an oversight?

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I will never get into the Super Anime, but the Super Manga is something I might consider reading one day.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I will never get into the Super Anime, but the Super Manga is something I might consider reading one day.
The manga wasn't so bad. The Japanese sub of the anime isn't terrible, but the English dub is just deplorable. If I ever have to hear Sean Schemmel's version's of Goku's, "I'm an idiot, so I'll laugh", laugh...I might cut off my ears. I think you know which one I'm talking about...where he scratches the back of his head and his eyes turn into arches and sort of does a nervous like laugh. :poop:

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Sean Schemmel's version's of Goku's, "I'm an idiot, so I'll laugh", laugh...I might cut off my ears. I think you know which one I'm talking about...where he scratches the back of his head and his eyes turn into arches and sort of does a nervous like laugh. :poop:

I actually pictured it before you started explaining it so it was like you read my mind. lol

Reactions: LividJay
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: