Television Has anyone here watched Seinfeld?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
It is considered to be one of the best TV shows to date and I have never watched a single episode of it.

However, me and Jay started watching Curb Your Enthusiasm recently and love it. I know, two different shows but I can't imagine Seinfeld being better than this show.

I am just curious if it is as good as people claim it is.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Yeah, long time ago. A lot of my friends watched it when we were in 5th/6th grade. Not sure we really understood the humor back then, but it also had humor that was easy for us. I did start re-watching not too long ago, but it was at night while I was going to sleep...so the "watch" part of re-watch isn't necessarily true.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I've seen episodes, it's fine. Probably not better than Curb Your Enthusiasm, but it has its moments. Worth a watch, at least. Just don't picture Michael Richards going on his rants while you watch Kramer...
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I mean Curb is relatable adult humor and it is an HBO show. Seinfeld was probably only relatable to people who lived in NYC and maybe Jewish people/families. Funny enough, I always thought it was Steinfeld, not Seinfeld LOL

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I mean Curb is relatable adult humor and it is an HBO show. Seinfeld was probably only relatable to people who lived in NYC and maybe Jewish people/families. Funny enough, I always thought it was Steinfeld, not Seinfeld LOL
I enjoyed Seinfeld back in the day, but I agree it's really specific humor. I very much enjoyed Jason Alexander as George.

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
I've seen most, if not all of Seinfeld over the years. One of the best sitcoms of all-time definitely imo, George Costanza is one of my favourite characters in any sitcom. Curb Your Enthusiasm is definitely better though lol. Makes sense too, George was based off Larry David after all, a full show around Larry David was always going to be great.

Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I've seen most, if not all of Seinfeld over the years. One of the best sitcoms of all-time definitely imo, George Costanza is one of my favourite characters in any sitcom. Curb Your Enthusiasm is definitely better though lol. Makes sense too, George was based off Larry David after all, a full show around Larry David was always going to be great.
We are on season 5 now and the show is so well written. Every episode has a story that is connected. Like everything that happens gets connected at the end in such a funny way. He is a good storyteller.

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
We are on season 5 now and the show is so well written. Every episode has a story that is connected. Like everything that happens gets connected at the end in such a funny way. He is a good storyteller.

That kind of stuff is present in Seinfeld too, though on a smaller scale. A lot of episodes in Seinfeld will have all the individual plot lines converge together by the end, the way the separate plotlines end up weaving with each-other and connecting is perhaps the biggest strength of Seinfeld. It's best episode are structurally stronger than most sitcoms, Larry David's seemingly always had a knack for that stuff.

It is stronger in Curb again, especially with Curb's serialized storylines every season (except one, I'm pretty sure one was mostly episodic) so there can be season-long plot beats & comedic pay-offs, all while still maintaining the episode specific ones.

Season five's probably my least favourite season tbh, but I will say my second favourite character in the show is introduced next season. I won't say anything else though.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
That kind of stuff is present in Seinfeld too, though on a smaller scale. A lot of episodes in Seinfeld will have all the individual plot lines converge together by the end, the way the separate plotlines end up weaving with each-other and connecting is perhaps the biggest strength of Seinfeld. It's best episode are structurally stronger than most sitcoms, Larry David's seemingly always had a knack for that stuff.

It is stronger in Curb again, especially with Curb's serialized storylines every season (except one, I'm pretty sure one was mostly episodic) so there can be season-long plot beats & comedic pay-offs, all while still maintaining the episode specific ones.

Season five's probably my least favourite season tbh, but I will say my second favourite character in the show is introduced next season. I won't say anything else though.
I mean if Seinfeld is the more PG version of Curb, I can see why it is considered the best sitcom in history. A lot of stuff on Curb they would not be able to do on another network. HBO is pretty ballsy. The last two episodes we watched made jokes about Christ and suicide bombers in the war. Looking at the ratings of the episodes on IMDb, even the lowest-rated episodes have been enjoyable. This is down to good writing I suppose.

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
I mean if Seinfeld is the more PG version of Curb, I can see why it is considered the best sitcom in history. A lot of stuff on Curb they would not be able to do on another network. HBO is pretty ballsy. The last two episodes we watched made jokes about Christ and suicide bombers in the war. Looking at the ratings of the episodes on IMDb, even the lowest-rated episodes have been enjoyable. This is down to good writing I suppose.

Yeah, PG version of Curb is a pretty fair description of Seinfeld imo. The riskiest episode Seinfeld every done was probably the Contest, which was about the main characters making a bet to see who could go the longest without masturbating if you never heard about it (as it's probably the most well-known episode).

One thing I do want to mention about Curb if you haven't heard about it, but it's not strictly scripted. The scripts for Curb episodes are just story outlines, the dialogue is basically all improv'd based one where they know the scene needs to go. Jeff Garlin has said at most he has one line of dialogue written for him per episode, but otherwise it's all improvisation. It's amazing how well this works.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Yeah, PG version of Curb is a pretty fair description of Seinfeld imo. The riskiest episode Seinfeld every done was probably the Contest, which was about the main characters making a bet to see who could go the longest without masturbating if you never heard about it (as it's probably the most well-known episode).

One thing I do want to mention about Curb if you haven't heard about it, but it's not strictly scripted. The scripts for Curb episodes are just story outlines, the dialogue is basically all improv'd based one where they know the scene needs to go. Jeff Garlin has said at most he has one line of dialogue written for him per episode, but otherwise it's all improvisation. It's amazing how well this works.
Wow, I had no idea! That is pretty insane and shows a lot of the acting ability of the people on the show. So do they all do this? Like every character?

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Wow, I had no idea! That is pretty insane and shows a lot of the acting ability of the people on the show. So do they all do this? Like every character?

Yep, everyone on the show is improvising their dialogue. Back to Jeff Garlin, he's said that the Curb Scripts tend to be *seven* pages long, mostly being the story outline and almost none of it being dialogue. For reference, most sitcom scripts tend to be at minimum, around 25 pages long. Cheryl Hines has also talked about this, and I'm pretty sure Larry David has too.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Yep, everyone on the show is improvising their dialogue. Back to Jeff Garlin, he's said that the Curb Scripts tend to be *seven* pages long, mostly being the story outline and almost none of it being dialogue. For reference, most sitcom scripts tend to be at minimum, around 25 pages long. Cheryl Hines has also talked about this, and I'm pretty sure Larry David has too.
That is probably what makes it such a good show. I love improvised comedy when it is done right.

Giga Hertz

The beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair
Super Saiyan God
I've been a fan since a kid in the 90s. It's worth watching at least once. Or 20 times.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: