How did you get into anime?

Drewan

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan
So, I was just wondering how everyone got into anime?

I got into anime a long time ago. Hmm, I guess 10 years ago or even more. I saw my first one at TV and loved it. But sadly, they stopped to show it. Then, some years passed and watched them online. How about you?

Tekkin

Saiyan Warrior
By a friend actually. He was into all sorts of anime. I basically got thrown to the wolves when I met him. My all time favorite is obvious since I joined here but I enjoy other anime as well. I never thought I would be into anything like this but it is such a huge thing in the west now that I don't have to hide it so much anymore. Although, my family still teases me over it. lol

Goku

Saiyan Grunt
So, I was just wondering how everyone got into anime?

I got into anime a long time ago. Hmm, I guess 10 years ago or even more. I saw my first one at TV and loved it. But sadly, they stopped to show it. Then, some years passed and watched them online. How about you?

1998 when Pokemon 1st Debut in the USA. It was my 1st Anime I ever watch. I think I was 7 years old at the time. Of course are year later I would get in to Dragonball Z. :)

Reactions: Tekkin

Ryuk

Saiyan Grunt
My older brother watched Death Note when I was younger, I enjoyed it too and got more into others as well.

Reactions: Tekkin

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
It's quite weird, actually. My dad was really into Voltron (the original Dubbed version). He never watched any other anime as far as I know. But that's what really started it for me and I branched off and explored so much more anime.

Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Realized I never answered this. lol

I started with Pokemon, Digimon, and the like before and after school. I started watching the more adult themed anime on Toonami shortly after. I watched Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Big O, Cowboy Beebop, Tenchi Muyo!, Outlaw Star and a few others.

Reactions: Punkhead

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Realized I never answered this. lol

I started with Pokemon, Digimon, and the like before and after school. I started watching the more adult themed anime on Toonami shortly after. I watched Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Big O, Cowboy Beebop, Tenchi Muyo!, Outlaw Star and a few others.
You actually sound a lot like me. Toonami is how I found out about Dragonball Z. Also, Cowboy Beebop (and Trigun) are all-time favs of mine.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
You actually sound a lot like me. Toonami is how I found out about Dragonball Z. Also, Cowboy Beebop (and Trigun) are all-time favs of mine.
Cowboy Beebop is my favorite anime overall but DBZ is a very, very close second. Cowboy Beebop was very short in comparison but I think that is part of its charm.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Cowboy Beebop is my favorite anime overall but DBZ is a very, very close second. Cowboy Beebop was very short in comparison but I think that is part of its charm.
Agreed. There have been so many anime I've watched over the years that ended after 13 or so episodes...I hated it but at the same time it really made the experience all the better. Especially with a lot of unknowns and what not.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Agreed. There have been so many anime I've watched over the years that ended after 13 or so episodes...I hated it but at the same time it really made the experience all the better. Especially with a lot of unknowns and what not.

That and they captured the whole bounty hunters in space perfectly.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I was actually a member of the Dragon Ball forum on Neoseeker in the late 2000s, and I got into Dragon Ball during that time period. My ex friend got me into Naruto and Bleach back when I was a teenager too. I also joined Naruto Forums and I got into One Piece since it was hot on that forum during that time period. Those were the four series that served as my gateway to Anime and Manga.

Reactions: Beerus and LividJay

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
I vaguely remember watching the Ocean Dub of DBZ at some point in the 90's. I forget how it was even broadcast on TV at the time. Then in the late 90's I stumbled across two VHS tapes at my local video store by mere chance. It was Ghost in the Shell and Armitage the 3rd. Consider my teenage mind blown by the cyber punk genre. It spiraled into Toonami with Gundam Wing, Ronin Warriors, Sailor Moon, etc. I was stationed in Japan in the Air Force in the early 2000's so I got my hands on some raw materials and even got to watch Gundam Seed in it's original broadcast, even though I had no idea what anyone was saying.

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
My second earliest memory is seeing a commercial for Dragon Ball Z and going "I need to see this". So that's how I got my start, though it wasn't until much, much later that I actually began engaging with anime as a medium rather than just a few shows on Toonami. Essentially that was because of Fullmetal Alchemist. One my brother's friend favorite anime was FMA 03, and so we ended up watching that. Fast forward to them making Brotherhood, and I hated the new voice actor for Al and stopped watching it immediately. But a year or two later I realized I was being stupid and shallow and would end up binging the series in a couple days, and how much I loved that series is what got me seeking out other anime, and it's now my favorite medium.

Reactions: LividJay

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
It was Toonami and Toonami Midnight Run, I think that is what it was called, and the shows that drew me into anime was The Big O and Gundam Wing, and later Bepop, Deth Note, G-Gundam, which is my favorite anime of all time, and so on.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: