Is it a good thing Facebook and Twitter are dying out?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Both platforms are losing daily users more and more as time goes on. Several news outlets have covered this in just the last few weeks. Facebook is now facing criminal investigation for leaking private information and Twitter has gone too far with political toxicity and division so people are just not using it like before. I personally have not touched Facebook in nearly 10 years. I hardly use Twitter other than for my websites.

I somehow feel this is a good thing. Online communication is great. I have spent enough time on forums to know. But the thing is, forums and social media are two different animals entirely. Forums are social networks which focus on one main niche where social media is more personal and focuses directly on the user and what they want. For many people, that is just too much. I have seen families destroyed because of Facebook, people losing jobs because of Twitter... It is just a giant mess.

I hope this serves as a lesson to people and future generations to keep online privacy in mind and understand online common decency when communicating with other people.

• Agree
Reactions: Yoshi

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
Yes. In reality, social media probably makes a lot of people depressed. Not just because of opposing political views. There's a lot of backstabbing on social media. For example, most of your friends on Facebook aren't actually mutual and people can also take it too personally, like you said.

• Agree
Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I have seen some people get real nasty, even before this mainstream political obsession. I always called Facebook "Fakebook" which is in good reason. People pretend to be happy or interesting on there. They like to show off what they do or have been doing to try and make their life look amazing but the reality is, most people who spend hours every day on Facebook or even Twitter just aren't happy. Some are, I am sure but from where I am sitting... I don't see too many who are. I have seen some pretty sad psychological studies and mental health ones done on the overuse of social media. It isn't pretty what they were finding.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I think people who don't have social media or hardly use it actually have more productive lives. I have had three Facebook accounts in the past, all of which I deleted. I'm never going to create another account on there again.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Yes. Decentralize the internet. It's a scary proposition that so much of the internet's traffic is directed towards only a handful of services and it's a bit scary how much information those services acquire about people who volunteer it to them. I have a Twitter and Facebook account, but I don't actively use them and prefer things like forums for my online social interactions.

Also, the obsession people have with social media in general is unhealthy. Checking Twitter every 2 minutes to see if someone has posted something about whatever they've recently posted, or getting genuinely upset if someone doesn't like something they like or post about. It's a ridiculous obsession, and that we're at the point now where we've created a generation that only know this sort of internet, and that have that level of obsession about what people say to each other on the internet, that they're essentially lost when you take their phones away. It's sad, and it's something that really needs to change.

• Agree
Reactions: Yoshi and Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Yes. Decentralize the internet. It's a scary proposition that so much of the internet's traffic is directed towards only a handful of services and it's a bit scary how much information those services acquire about people who volunteer it to them. I have a Twitter and Facebook account, but I don't actively use them and prefer things like forums for my online social interactions.

Also, the obsession people have with social media in general is unhealthy. Checking Twitter every 2 minutes to see if someone has posted something about whatever they've recently posted, or getting genuinely upset if someone doesn't like something they like or post about. It's a ridiculous obsession, and that we're at the point now where we've created a generation that only know this sort of internet, and that have that level of obsession about what people say to each other on the internet, that they're essentially lost when you take their phones away. It's sad, and it's something that really needs to change.
What is sad is it makes a generation that already has an issue with narcissistic behavior worse. You should like yourself sure, but you shouldn't be so obsessed with yourself you forget other people exist and have value too. I know these will get replaced with some other form of social media eventually but it will be an app-based one (one that doesn't have a physical accessible URL) and that might be better for the internet. I am not sure if it will be better for people though. Time will tell.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I think it's good for forums that they die ;)

I deleted (actual delete, not deactivated) my facebook over a year ago. Best thing I did in a long time and I will never go back. It's so toxic and I think social media has made the Internet a very boring place. People don't like to have discussions or debates anymore. Nor do they like or accept when their opinions are challenged with new information. Facebook and twitter have greatly contributed to the dumbing down of the world, in my opinion. I only have a twitter account that I use and it's not my personal life, but my public persona for my stream. I don't even use it all that much, either.

• Agree
Reactions: Beerus and Yoshi

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I don't know if anyone here heard the Etika story. I never watched his stuff but I have heard in passing that he was struggling with mental health and it was down to social media, not being able to balance it with offline life. The last video he posted he said he hoped his story served as a lesson to others to not let social media dominate their lives. It is tragic that a person feels the only way out is to end their life. Most of the focus is in the gaming community and I think it should stretch further than that. Not just gaming YouTubers or streamers but those active and addicted to places like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and so on. This kind of stuff should not be happening.

If anyone out there is struggling with their mental health, they should be urged to get off of social media platforms for awhile.

• Agree
Reactions: LividJay

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I don't know if anyone here heard the Etika story. I never watched his stuff but I have heard in passing that he was struggling with mental health and it was down to social media, not being able to balance it with offline life. The last video he posted he said he hoped his story served as a lesson to others to not let social media dominate their lives. It is tragic that a person feels the only way out is to end their life. Most of the focus is in the gaming community and I think it should stretch further than that. Not just gaming YouTubers or streamers but those active and addicted to places like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and so on. This kind of stuff should not be happening.

If anyone out there is struggling with their mental health, they should be urged to get off of social media platforms for awhile.
I heard about it but didn't know who he was. Sad as hell though. Nobody should feel like they should have to take their own life for the pain to go away.

• Agree

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I watched some of his stuff because he collaborated with Achievement Hunter a bit, and that gave me a glimpse into him, so I watched a bit of his stuff. Not a massive fan, but he did make halfway decent content most of the time. It's a shame it happened, but I'm also not entirely shocked. Addiction to social media is a genuine thing for people that grew up with it, so I can understand how it can take over the lives of someone who gets too involved with it. The worry about views, likes, negative ratings or comments, and so on. If you treat the internet as a genuine means of socializing, you're going to do yourself some serious mental harm. I think there should be hours of operation for those massive social media sites so people have to get away from it for a period of time. Staying away from them, learning to socialize properly, and not being able to obsess over your latest tweet...it would bring a few people back to reality.

• Agree

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I watched some of his stuff because he collaborated with Achievement Hunter a bit, and that gave me a glimpse into him, so I watched a bit of his stuff. Not a massive fan, but he did make halfway decent content most of the time. It's a shame it happened, but I'm also not entirely shocked. Addiction to social media is a genuine thing for people that grew up with it, so I can understand how it can take over the lives of someone who gets too involved with it. The worry about views, likes, negative ratings or comments, and so on. If you treat the internet as a genuine means of socializing, you're going to do yourself some serious mental harm. I think there should be hours of operation for those massive social media sites so people have to get away from it for a period of time. Staying away from them, learning to socialize properly, and not being able to obsess over your latest tweet...it would bring a few people back to reality.
I didn't experience my teens or even early 20's with it. I joined Twitter in 2007 and thought it was stupid and deactivated my account only to sign up again in 2011. I never used it like many do which is probably a good thing. I can't imagine being a teen or even 20 something having accounts on all platforms and having to keep up with it all the time. Especially for people who are somewhat popular or famous online. I think mental health awareness needs to be more mainstream so people can learn ways to cope and when they should walk away from social media. Heck, make an option to ban yourself for 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, or 3 months on all social media platforms. That way, once it is done it is done and they can't go back even if they have the urge to. There is nothing wrong with taking a break, it should actually be encouraged.

• Agree
Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Yeah, I'm not sure when I signed up for a Twitter account, just that I have one. I don't use it, except to browse breaking news every now and then. Same with Facebook, I basically only use it when everyone remembers I exist on it once a year for my bday and I feel obligated to respond to them. I've never really "gotten" the social media thing, at least the social media that people have today. I consider forums and email to be the original forms of social media, and I much prefer them to a tweet or a facebook post.

I will say again that I genuinely believe that the social media sites (and even the streaming sites like Twitch) should have hours of operation, or a tracker on each account that automatically blocks them for a 48 hour period after viewing so much in a specified amount of time. It's ludicrous that people spend as much time as they do on social media and it's no surprise at all that this is why people end up with the warped views that how you act and interact online is how you should act and interact in reality. It's something that needs to be cracked down on. I hate that the massive conglomerated sites exist in the first place, but since they're not going away anytime soon, at least regulate them more appropriately.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Yeah, I'm not sure when I signed up for a Twitter account, just that I have one. I don't use it, except to browse breaking news every now and then. Same with Facebook, I basically only use it when everyone remembers I exist on it once a year for my bday and I feel obligated to respond to them. I've never really "gotten" the social media thing, at least the social media that people have today. I consider forums and email to be the original forms of social media, and I much prefer them to a tweet or a facebook post.

I will say again that I genuinely believe that the social media sites (and even the streaming sites like Twitch) should have hours of operation, or a tracker on each account that automatically blocks them for a 48 hour period after viewing so much in a specified amount of time. It's ludicrous that people spend as much time as they do on social media and it's no surprise at all that this is why people end up with the warped views that how you act and interact online is how you should act and interact in reality. It's something that needs to be cracked down on. I hate that the massive conglomerated sites exist in the first place, but since they're not going away anytime soon, at least regulate them more appropriately.
I think a good step at this point would be to teach kids, like 10+ the importance of self control when it comes to online entertainment. Kids and dare I even say most teens shouldn't even be on social media. Adults should really take the responsibility of not abusing online websites as a whole. If we start throwing in regulations and laws, the internet will get messy real quick. I don't like telling people to do with their time so I wouldn't want it done to me or anyone else. There just needs to be a more public awareness of how damaging social media is to many, many people out there in terms of mental health. Problem is, these social sites won't address it because they would lose massive amounts of money if big numbers of people stopped using their sites.

I miss the Myspace and AIM days of the internet. Nothing was mainstream and day to day socializing, at least 80% of it was done in person or on the phone. When socializing online became the "norm" is when everything got out of hand. We have a lot of people out of touch with general communication now. A lot of right is wrong and wrong is right too. Just not good for communities as whole.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
You're not wrong, it should be the parents that help keep kids in check with social media, and I also completely agree that there should not be kids or most teens on social media. It's a predator's paradise and easy pickings for the manipulative types that lurk in the darker parts of the world. I'd stand behind a means to regulate usage in terms of hours, though. Not what you do or watch, but how much of it. A simple timer and then an automatic block to send you back to reality doesn't interfere with the site itself, and it doesn't introduce laws and regulations (often set by people who know NOTHING about it) that just screws everything up. That's just me, though, someone who doesn't really do modern social media.

Yeah, back when AIM was all you had, most people hung around for an hour or two at most and then went off to do something. Now, people are constantly on social media checking on what people have said, how what they said is doing, or watching who is streaming what. It's ludicrous considering all of that used to be what we "nerds" did with our time. I was a strange person for liking the internet and spending time playing games back then...now, I'm the norm. It's a weird shift that happened...

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
You're not wrong, it should be the parents that help keep kids in check with social media, and I also completely agree that there should not be kids or most teens on social media. It's a predator's paradise and easy pickings for the manipulative types that lurk in the darker parts of the world. I'd stand behind a means to regulate usage in terms of hours, though. Not what you do or watch, but how much of it. A simple timer and then an automatic block to send you back to reality doesn't interfere with the site itself, and it doesn't introduce laws and regulations (often set by people who know NOTHING about it) that just screws everything up. That's just me, though, someone who doesn't really do modern social media.

Yeah, back when AIM was all you had, most people hung around for an hour or two at most and then went off to do something. Now, people are constantly on social media checking on what people have said, how what they said is doing, or watching who is streaming what. It's ludicrous considering all of that used to be what we "nerds" did with our time. I was a strange person for liking the internet and spending time playing games back then...now, I'm the norm. It's a weird shift that happened...

There is actually a program that can do that. I can't remember what it is called but it will put a timer on specific websites and then block you from it after so long. It is meant to help parents watch over their kids but I think adults need it more these days.

I get what you meant now though. It would help to have boundaries. At the same time, it is very unlikely to ever be a thing because it would cost these sites money and that is all they care about. So much of the political pandering is down to money too. Not because they actual give a crap about people. I am sure some people who work for these companies do but I doubt many at the top of the pyramid give two shiny nickles what anyone feels, thinks, or believes.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: