General Politics Thread

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin

They say we guard our banks better than our schools. That should have changed years ago.

Even if we took guns away tomorrow and made them illegal, people looking to do terrible things would still find them. They still find and use them in the UK and other countries where they have been banned for a long time. The school systems in America are broken. We have terrible education, terrible teachers (not all but too many of them are), under-funding, terrible culture, and a lack of security across the board.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I guess a border patrol officer was the one who rushed into the school and shot the shooter. Everyone else was waiting for backup... For real? He happened to be nearby. Imagine how many more lives would have been lost had he not done that. The dude deserves a medal.

• Agree
Reactions: India Actual

Giga Hertz

The beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair
Super Saiyan God
I guess a border patrol officer was the one who rushed into the school and shot the shooter. Everyone else was waiting for backup... For real? He happened to be nearby. Imagine how many more lives would have been lost had he not done that. The dude deserves a medal.
Definitely did what they should have done in Parkland...

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Our active shooter training we go through teaches us that we run to the sound of gun fire and neutralize the threat. Even if there are dead bodies or wounded people crying for help. You go it alone or grab as many firearm wielding buddies as possible to go handle business.

For this agent, he went it alone, but he was BORTAC which is basically Border Patrol's SRT. He had advanced training and clearly children being murdered motivated him to take care of business. It wasn't easy, he was wounded in the process, but you're absolutely right that the shooter needed to be stopped. His heartrate was probably 200, his stomach may have been twisted with nausea at the sight of all the carnage, but he did his job. He should be honored even though he will probably deny any platitudes.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Our active shooter training we go through teaches us that we run to the sound of gun fire and neutralize the threat. Even if there are dead bodies or wounded people crying for help. You go it alone or grab as many firearm wielding buddies as possible to go handle business.

For this agent, he went it alone, but he was BORTAC which is basically Border Patrol's SRT. He had advanced training and clearly children being murdered motivated him to take care of business. It wasn't easy, he was wounded in the process, but you're absolutely right that the shooter needed to be stopped. His heartrate was probably 200, his stomach may have been twisted with nausea at the sight of all the carnage, but he did his job. He should be honored even though he will probably deny any platitudes.
So the cops waiting around was bad like I imagined it would be? I get wanting to wait for backup but the dude was already firing off. In that case, one would assume whoever is there rushes in.

Reactions: India Actual

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
So the cops waiting around was bad like I imagined it would be? I get wanting to wait for backup but the dude was already firing off. In that case, one would assume whoever is there rushes in.
I can only speak for my agency, but it is my understanding that it is national policy for MOST departments to just rush in and attempt to neutralize the threat by any means necessary. So yeah what happened in 2018 was very bad and likely resulted in more death. What happened yesterday likely saved more lives because there's rapid intervention.

As an aside, this is what we can do to help prevent tragedies like this in the future.

Reactions: Beerus

Giga Hertz

Super Saiyan God

That was the shooting from 2018?

I can't keep up with them or remember the details. I probably just block them out over time.

I can only speak for my agency, but it is my understanding that it is national policy for MOST departments to just rush in and attempt to neutralize the threat by any means necessary. So yeah what happened in 2018 was very bad and likely resulted in more death. What happened yesterday likely saved more lives because there's rapid intervention.

As an aside, this is what we can do to help prevent tragedies like this in the future.

Not only that, but there were two cops from another county training nearby who rushed over to go in and do it, but the Sheriff stopped them.

• Informative

Giga Hertz

Super Saiyan God
I can see why the kneejerk is to ban guns, but good gosh I wish people would stop and think about how things can be fixed locally.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
I can see why the kneejerk is to ban guns, but good gosh I wish people would stop and think about how things can be fixed locally.
Like..........spending billions on mental health care instead of funding foreign countries that couldn't give a shit about us. Looking at you Pakistan!
watching i see you GIF

• Agree

Giga Hertz

Super Saiyan God
I think that's where more even-tempered Left-leaning people and Right-leaning people should come together and actually have the discussion of what should be done and why federal government can't possibly fix this.

As a Christian, it also really bothers me that a lot of Christians (or those who call themselves such) default to "the government needs to fix this" rather than addressing the fact that bad people are bad and no legislation can fix that.

Giga Hertz

Super Saiyan God
And don't seem to make the connection that some of the scarier policies enacted under their guy could be abused if Trump or someone similar is re-elected.

Not that they will, but they seemed to be afraid of Trump doing the very things the Biden administration is doing.

Giga Hertz

Super Saiyan God
"You cannot have a mass shooting, or any other kind of shooting for that matter, without guns. It is the one and only thing all shootings have in common."

A now-more-left-leaning Christian friend of mine on Facebook posted this. I decided not to engage because I don't have the energy. And she has kids, so I get why she'd feel hit hard by it. But the only thing real thing they have in common is some messed up people have some really bad heart problems.

I think of POD's Youth of the Nation (after Santana School shooting) where they pretty much address the actual issue: there are kids hurting, suffering because they're not being raised or treated properly. There would be so far less of this if people actually reached out to hurting kids, if there weren't so many broken families.

And I can understand wanting to be upset at the weapon that did it. Especially when it's a powerful scary weapon. But the fact is it's all just a tool and symptom of the actual problem that continues to go unaddressed.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
The more strict the gun laws, the more crime rates go up. This is why places that seem to have the most gun control have the biggest instances of public shootings. Look at every city in America for an example. Guns are not the problem. Bad culture and mentally unstable people create these issues.

Also, I am not sure if anyone saw this or not but there was a planned shooting by two middle schoolers from that school to take place in 2022. This was reported in 2018. They were planning it 4 years prior. The fact that these schools had not been better secured for that reason alone makes me question so much.

The shooter posted on Facebook he was going to kill his grandma. After he killed her he said he did it on Facebook. Then he said he was going to a school to shoot kids... Again on Facebook. You know, the place that will ban you over a meme.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
For contrast:

aNPqbDr_700b.jpg

When people respect guns and know how to use them, they can actually stop people from dying. Well, stop non-criminals/non-insane people from dying.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: