New Year, New Me!

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
:dead:

So, normally this time of year, the gym's are packed with "New Year, New Me" folks. These are the folks who made their new year's resolution to get back in shape and go to the gym for a few weeks.

Anyway, I'm sure most if not all gyms are currently shut down due to the ongoing pandemic. Anyone planning on doing any home fitness?

What really sparked this thread for me is that growing up, I was always the tall-ish, skinny kid. My metabolism was insane and it was difficult for me to gain weight. By the time I was 13, I started working out. Now, when you have almost no body fat, it's easy to get that 6-pack and have shredded looking arms. Into high school, I started gaining noticeable mass. I went from 145 lbs in 8th/9th grade, up to 165-170 of pure muscle.

Years had passed and I was less active while also having an office job. My metabolism slowed down by my late 20's and the pounds started packing on. I'm now in my late 30's and it's really showing. My face is pudgier and I have the ole beer belly. I'm what they are calling skinny-fat: look skinny in clothes, but when you take them off...yeah. I had recently stepped on the scale and saw that I was up to 208 lbs, the most I've ever weighed in my life.

With that said, I'm not trying to be a "new year, new me" person...but I need to do something. What makes matters worse is the pain I have in my neck and shoulders. It makes working out very difficult and very painful. There may be some pinched nerves or other issues. I just don't know. I did 2 months of physical therapy a couple years back, but it didn't really help. It only removed some pain for maybe an hour and then it was back. Acupuncture actually lasted a whole day.

Anyone else trying to get back into it? General fitness thread here.

Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I can't say I'm going to be one of those new year, new me types, either, but I definitely want to shed some of the unwanted quarantonnes I've packed on during my apathetic isolation. Will it happen? Hopefully, I'd like to be more active in general and get away from gaining, as it's exacerbating my health problems, so...yeah...time to get my lazy ass doing stuff.

Reactions: LividJay

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I know the pains of wanting to workout/stick to something and having your neck and shoulders ruin it. Have had neck problems since my teens. I too tried physical therapy and it didn't help. I found that using ice on a regular basis and a TENs unit helps a lot but still, one wrong move and I am in pain for days. It sucks. I try to find things I can do that don't bother my neck/shoulders. Walking is one of them. Another is rebounding. I just need to get into the habit of sticking to either or both. I am not a lazy person but I if I make something a habit, I have a hard time breaking it.

I'd like to lose some weight, put on some muscle, and just generally feel better. I am 32 and feel like I am 50 have the time. Not good! So yeah, I am trying. Not because it is the new year but rather, I am going to be 33 soon and I want to feel better. Sick of being in pain.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I know the pains of wanting to workout/stick to something and having your neck and shoulders ruin it. Have had neck problems since my teens. I too tried physical therapy and it didn't help. I found that using ice on a regular basis and a TENs unit helps a lot but still, one wrong move and I am in pain for days. It sucks. I try to find things I can do that don't bother my neck/shoulders. Walking is one of them. Another is rebounding. I just need to get into the habit of sticking to either or both. I am not a lazy person but I if I make something a habit, I have a hard time breaking it.

I'd like to lose some weight, put on some muscle, and just generally feel better. I am 32 and feel like I am 50 have the time. Not good! So yeah, I am trying. Not because it is the new year but rather, I am going to be 33 soon and I want to feel better. Sick of being in pain.
Several years back I was doing some crunches. I went outside to go meet up with my then-girlfriend to walk her in and out of nowhere it felt like I was hit in the back with a bat. It knocked the wind out of me and after that, I couldn't turn my head without a terrible pain. This was the first of a few times where this has happened to me over the years. Different things will trigger it, sometimes just sleeping wrong. I think it's a pinched nerve. In fact, much of my pain seems to be related to nerves. But yeah, like you said, the pain can really kill any motivation you have. Every now and then my shoulder has pain just from lifting a coffee mug.

I want to try to do HIIT and TUT workouts, but not sure if my body is going to allow me to. I, too, am sick of being in pain.

• Informative
Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Several years back I was doing some crunches. I went outside to go meet up with my then-girlfriend to walk her in and out of nowhere it felt like I was hit in the back with a bat. It knocked the wind out of me and after that, I couldn't turn my head without a terrible pain. This was the first of a few times where this has happened to me over the years. Different things will trigger it, sometimes just sleeping wrong. I think it's a pinched nerve. In fact, much of my pain seems to be related to nerves. But yeah, like you said, the pain can really kill any motivation you have. Every now and then my shoulder has pain just from lifting a coffee mug.

I want to try to do HIIT and TUT workouts, but not sure if my body is going to allow me to. I, too, am sick of being in pain.
My issue is mainly in my occipitals. Those are the big nerves at the base of the skull. I used to have to go to a doctor once a month to release the pressure on them. I get dizzy, terrible migraines, and sick to my stomach. Mine deals with tension. I will tense up without realizing it, then my shoulders pull-down and strain my neck. I also have bad posture. I am a mixed bag of aches and pains. My neck issues got worse when I let my cousin's mother adjust me. Against my better judgment, mind you. She was high off her ass at the time. That was when I was 21. Did therapy when I was 23. Nearly 10 years later, still have issues.

HIIT can be great if you can be careful with it. You can do some of what I was doing. It started messing with my lower back so I had to stop.

Check out Adrian Bryant's youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AdrianBryant - It is all at-home workouts and I know they work. I just have to find a way to stick with them. I did the one in the video below. Did it 3 times in one week and dropped 8 pounds like it was nothing.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
My issue is mainly in my occipitals. Those are the big nerves at the base of the skull.
I may have issues there, as well. Cracking my neck as much as I have over the years probably wasn't good for that.
I get dizzy, terrible migraines, and sick to my stomach.
That sounds terrible. Luckily, I don't have that problem.
My neck issues got worse when I let my cousin's mother adjust me.
Bad Beewus! Bad!
Check out Adrian Bryant's youtube channel:
Do you look like the fella on the left? :yaoi:

• Funny
Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I may have issues there, as well. Cracking my neck as much as I have over the years probably wasn't good for that.
I did that too. I used to crack it several times a day, it was a very bad habit and why my doctor thought I developed issues in the first place.

Do you look like the fella on the left? :yaoi:
Yes, I look like a very thicc man. :ugg:

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Yeah, feels great when you do it...but probably not a good thing to do. I do my entire back all the time, too.

Never know these days...:glare:

I still enjoy cracking my back but I can't do that as easily as my neck. Took me a good 4 years to stop the neck-cracking habit. Now if I do it, my neck and head hurt for a week. Very good deterrent for not doing it anymore lol

And this is true, you never know. But alas, I am a hobit like Kim K. lol

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I still enjoy cracking my back but I can't do that as easily as my neck. Took me a good 4 years to stop the neck-cracking habit. Now if I do it, my neck and head hurt for a week. Very good deterrent for not doing it anymore lol

And this is true, you never know. But alas, I am a hobit like Kim K. lol
Every now and then I do it wrong and I feel a burning feeling at the base of my skull and I get a slight headache.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Every now and then I do it wrong and I feel a burning feeling at the base of my skull and I get a slight headache.
The burning/tingling, anytime I feel that I get ice and lay down. I know I am in for a bad time if I don't. It feels great when it is done right but I never do it right and regret it lol

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I started taking an FDA approved weight loss medication called Phentermine. Two weeks in and I'm losing weight like crazy. I'm not even exercising either, LOL. Phentermine is the most popular as well as effective weight loss drug in America, and is very cheap. It increases your metabolism, suppresses your appetite, and makes you more energetic.

If you want to try it out without getting prescribed, just go on Amazon and order a bottle or two: PHENTERMINE: Effective Pill to Rapidly Lose Weight in few weeks and Enjoy a Healthy Life: Gilbert, Mark: 9781072830580: Amazon.com: Books

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I started taking an FDA approved weight loss medication called Phentermine. Two weeks in and I'm losing weight like crazy. I'm not even exercising either, LOL. Phentermine is the most popular as well as effective weight loss drug in America, and is very cheap. It increases your metabolism, suppresses your appetite, and makes you more energetic.

If you want to try it out without getting prescribed, just go on Amazon and order a bottle or two: PHENTERMINE: Effective Pill to Rapidly Lose Weight in few weeks and Enjoy a Healthy Life: Gilbert, Mark: 9781072830580: Amazon.com: Books
Interesting. The next time I talk to my doctors I'll bring it up with them and see if it would work with the medications and treatments I'm on...I could use a little help in getting the ball rolling, for sure!

Reactions: Yoshi

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
Interesting. The next time I talk to my doctors I'll bring it up with them and see if it would work with the medications and treatments I'm on...I could use a little help in getting the ball rolling, for sure!
Definitely. I plan to take walks a lot with my brother and my dogs once I get under my BMI range for obesity.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin

That is just a book, not the pills.

• Informative
Reactions: Yoshi

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Yeah, I figured that out after I posted it. That was also after Super Kami Guru quoted my post, so I didn't feel like editing it... LOL.

giphy.gif

• Funny
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky: