Started watching Attack on Titan and I have a theory: They're Faeries :D

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
Two things stuck out to me right away during the first episode of AoT. First, the way their "ODM Gear" works breaks the laws of physics and makes little sense. Second, the size of the Titans while still being closely humanoid also defies (What I've learned at least) limitations and understanding of physiology.

I'm supposed to believe that
-These grappling hooks stick more than half the time (Let alone the 99% of the time they stick in the show)
-Their body weight distribution doesn't make them flop head forward and backwards or sideways when they're yanked
-The yank of the gas-propulsion doesn't damage their body, cause shock, whiplash, hit their feet, etc
-Finally that despite all of the above, they can whip around on them like a gymnast on a pole and always stick a grapple on something every time they need to.

Everything about these things is so impractical and anti-science. The reality is that this gear would yank the user unpredictably and they'd have almost ZERO control over the velocity or direction and end up crashing into the ground, a wall, or the Titan 99% of the time... and that's not adding the damage the rig itself will cause the user OR the excessive G-forces applied that will harm or kill the user.

---On to Titan physiology.

I've learned a bit about two subjects. One, the difficulty if not impossibility of giant walking humanoid mechs, and two, the subject of "Will humans get bigger?"

As far as humanoid mechs go, we've learned two things in attempts to do it:

1. That the larger a body, the more exponentially strength is needed to move it in gravity. So the distribution of muscle mass to organs, skeleton, & flesh would become larger and larger... exponentially.

In mech terms, this means the larger you try to make a mech, the more power you need to move it exponentially. Once a mech is over 15 feet tall, it requires an absurd amount of power to move and even with top-notch technology, the ones we've produced move very slow AND aren't humanoid shape, which would require even more power and advanced tech. At 45 feet tall (The tallest non-Colossal Titans), the amount of power needed would be produced by no less than something like Tony Starks ARC Reactor.

In order to produce an amount of power that immense through flesh & muscle mass... well, to cut right to it, it can't. There's a threshold where the muscle will reach a zero-efficiency state due to its size vs gravity. There's simply a limit to how powerful a muscle can be at some point and its WELL below the size of most Titans.

2. Michael from VSauce explains this one in this video

Basically, because of the muscle issue I outlined beforehand, the size of humans will not get much bigger than we are now.

So right out of the gate, the show is scientifically ignorant.
I mean, at least shows like DBZ, Bleach, & Naruto use supernatural powers and whatnot as a premise, but Attack on Titan so far hasn't hinted anything of the sort...

So I propose the theory that it's not so much that the Titans are big as much as the humans of their world aren't actually human, they're smaller... like Faerie small and the Titans are merely actual human size. This actually makes the ODM Gear at least halfway more feasible AND explains the physiology of the Titans. LOL

Reactions: Beerus

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
...since I didn't touch on it, I will say that so far, Attack on Titan is a really good show so far. (I'm on episode 27).

It takes macabre, horror, and bloody gore to a new level for anime, which is why it has an adult rating. It's actually refreshing. It doesn't feel like your typical anime where it's just the same supernatural power shtick with the same tropes over again. The character stereotypes aren't there (There's always a lecherous old man and a female that's aggressive and loud-mouthed, for instance) and the plot points are wholly original. The animation is top-notch as well.

So I'm not nitpicking to bash the show, I just thought it was amusing how scientifically flawed it was right from episode one.

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
Well I don't know about all that...but I loved the show until season 4 and I stopped watching.

I'm at season 4 now (And can't continue, because I don't want to watch the sub) and I'm conflicted about where things have gone.

I feel like Eren & Armin killing all of those innocent people was just a bit out of character, especially Armin. It's become clear that the show doesn't want to have "good guys" anymore. Now it's just a bunch of selfish assholes fighting each other wallowing in eye-for-an-eye mentality. No ones positions or actions are justified anymore.
One could argue that Eren & Armin are given little choice. They are facing all-out war with the rest of the world, so they can either sit back and wait for the whole world to pounce on them or they can bring the fight to them... but I still don't think the "I don't care if I just brutally murdered thousands of innocent people" approach is a requirement for that.
It feels like bad guys fighting bad guys now and I don't know if I want to keep watching that.

Reactions: LividJay

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
...since I didn't touch on it, I will say that so far, Attack on Titan is a really good show so far. (I'm on episode 27).

It takes macabre, horror, and bloody gore to a new level for anime, which is why it has an adult rating. It's actually refreshing. It doesn't feel like your typical anime where it's just the same supernatural power shtick with the same tropes over again. The character stereotypes aren't there (There's always a lecherous old man and a female that's aggressive and loud-mouthed, for instance) and the plot points are wholly original. The animation is top-notch as well.

So I'm not nitpicking to bash the show, I just thought it was amusing how scientifically flawed it was right from episode one.
Ive never thought about it like that but it would make a ton of sense. But if we're outlining issues, how about the fact that the titan bodies appear from nothing? How do we explain that one?

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
Well I don't know about all that...but I loved the show until season 4 and I stopped watching.
I hear the series goes through big changes as it progresses. I hope it maintains the quality by Season 4 for me personally.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I hear the series goes through big changes as it progresses. I hope it maintains the quality by Season 4 for me personally.
I may give it another try at some point. It was just that season 4 was so utterly boring to me that it couldn't keep my attention.

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
I may give it another try at some point. It was just that season 4 was so utterly boring to me that it couldn't keep my attention.
Season 4 is definitely worth the watch. Its stats boring, but the fights and the character development are out of this world. If you enjoyed other seasons of aot, give this one a chance and you won't regret it.

Reactions: LividJay
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: