TCG's have been a big part of my life

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
I have roughly 14,000 - 15,000 cards total

8,000 Magic the Gathering

3,000 Pokemon (Half Gen 1 and half from a few years ago)

1,000 Yugioh (All of them old school Battle City & Duelist Kingdom era)

1,200 Dragon Ball Super TCG

1,000 Force of Will

200 Dragon Ball Z Panini TCG

20191020_005843.jpg
20191020_005954.jpg
20191020_005931.jpg
20191020_005859.jpg
20191020_005824.jpg
20191020_014054.jpg
20191020_014205.jpg
20191031_004402.jpg

Reactions: Punkhead

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Very nice collection! I was big into TCG when I was younger, and actually started a side-hustle at school at one point, earning about $100/day trading and selling pokemon cards when series 1 was brand new. I stopped all things TCG (magic, pokemon, db, etc.) about a year and half after the first Pokemon set came out, because I moved away and didn't have the friends or outside connections to really push forward with it like I did prior, so I haven't done much of any TCG collecting in decades. Still have my old Pokemon cards, I know that much, but beyond that...not sure if any other sets survived.

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
Very nice collection! I was big into TCG when I was younger, and actually started a side-hustle at school at one point, earning about $100/day trading and selling pokemon cards when series 1 was brand new. I stopped all things TCG (magic, pokemon, db, etc.) about a year and half after the first Pokemon set came out, because I moved away and didn't have the friends or outside connections to really push forward with it like I did prior, so I haven't done much of any TCG collecting in decades. Still have my old Pokemon cards, I know that much, but beyond that...not sure if any other sets survived.

Yeah, the "no friends playing" situation is pretty much where I'm at too.

The only game I still actively have interest in playing is Magic.

I know several people who play and have cards, but getting them together to actually show up and play seems impossible.

So they just sit there nowdays. It's a shame.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Yep, it's very difficult to keep the interest level up when you don't have that creative outlet for it and the fellowship of others doing it, as well. I know a couple of people that play the online TCGs, and that's an alright experience, but it's not the same thing. You don't get that rush of opening packs, building decks, holding those cards in your hand...there's nothing tactile, it's all...click click click. So, it's an ok substitute, but nothing like the real deal.

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
Yep, it's very difficult to keep the interest level up when you don't have that creative outlet for it and the fellowship of others doing it, as well. I know a couple of people that play the online TCGs, and that's an alright experience, but it's not the same thing. You don't get that rush of opening packs, building decks, holding those cards in your hand...there's nothing tactile, it's all...click click click. So, it's an ok substitute, but nothing like the real deal.

I think the worst part about playing online is that you're always "playing meta". There are no casual sub-groups or social circles where the not-tryhards and low budget players can enjoy a more varied and ever-changing meta.

You're just thrown in with all of the tryhard "Spikess" who blow thousands of dollars and only care about winning. Which creates a stale meta where you always encounter the same few deck strategies 9/10 times or more.

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
I came up with this satire article awhile back.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I think the worst part about playing online is that you're always "playing meta". There are no casual sub-groups or social circles where the not-tryhards and low budget players can enjoy a more varied and ever-changing meta.

You're just thrown in with all of the tryhard "Spikess" who blow thousands of dollars and only care about winning. Which creates a stale meta where you always encounter the same few deck strategies 9/10 times or more.
This is very true, it's hard to find a casual match because you'll almost always get the tryhards. It takes the fun out of the game, and it's not like you're having fun playing them, because the banter is either non-existent or it's all tryhard trolling. No fun.

Reactions: Blockinlick

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
This is very true, it's hard to find a casual match because you'll almost always get the tryhards. It takes the fun out of the game, and it's not like you're having fun playing them, because the banter is either non-existent or it's all tryhard trolling. No fun.

With the way Magic: Arena is set up, it's completely random.

They pretty much took Hearthstones UI concept and adopted it for Magic.

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
I like all of these, and seeing them old Yugioh cards brought me back...to when Yugioh was a simple game and not over complicated like it is now.

Reactions: Blockinlick

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
After, XYZs is where everything got really complacated to me personally, but yeah that does sum it now

One issue that needed fixed from the beginning was the lack of fusion viability. They should have fixed that before adding other types of summons.

The fact that Polymerization was needed was short-sighted to begin with.

My friend & I experimented on making fusion viable without the need of cards like Cyberstein.

We made it to where you can do fusion without Pokymerization, BUT, Polymerization allows you to fuse from your hand.

This alone still didn't do enough to open up viability much (It only made it more possible), so we also made it a special summon that can't be negated and trap cards can't be activated as response.

That worked really well. We were playing BEUD, Meteor B. Dragon, B. Skull Dragon, Thousand Eyes Restrict, etc.

It was really really cool.

• Informative
Reactions: Punkhead

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
One issue that needed fixed from the beginning was the lack of fusion viability. They should have fixed that before adding other types of summons.

The fact that Polymerization was needed was short-sighted to begin with.

My friend & I experimented on making fusion viable without the need of cards like Cyberstein.

We made it to where you can do fusion without Pokymerization, BUT, Polymerization allows you to fuse from your hand.

This alone still didn't do enough to open up viability much (It only made it more possible), so we also made it a special summon that can't be negated and trap cards can't be activated as response.

That worked really well. We were playing BEUD, Meteor B. Dragon, B. Skull Dragon, Thousand Eyes Restrict, etc.

It was really really cool.
Man, you can make fusions so many different ways now, and that is all pretty interesting

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I never got into the Manga or the Anime, but I played Yu-Gi-Oh! a lot in my teens. One of my ex friends introduced it to me and we played it together. I also got into a Yu-Gi-Oh! club when I was in High School and originally just three people, including me, started the whole fad.

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
I never got into the Manga or the Anime, but I played Yu-Gi-Oh! a lot in my teens. One of my ex friends introduced it to me and we played it together. I also got into a Yu-Gi-Oh! club when I was in High School and originally just three people, including me, started the whole fad.

You should watch the first two seasons of the anime.

-but you go into it accepting a few things

1. That virtually all disputes can be and are settled by a damn card game.

2. That thanks to the "Power of Friendship" and "The Heart of the Card", Yugi always wins via Deus Ex Machina... ALWAYS.

If you can manage to stomach that, it's a pretty damn good show.

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
How much would you part with that Yu-Gi-Oh! collection for?

I wont ever part with them. They're childhood memories.

...but if I humored the hypothetical of my wife giving me an ultimatum to sell them, they'd probably only be worth at most $200 USD.

Like Pokemon, most of the oldschool cards have only gone down in value, with a select few special cases being worth a lot.

My most expensive Yugioh cards are Dark Paladin @ roughly $20 and Harpies Feather Duster as roughly $30.

Behind those are those 1st Ed God cards that go for roughly $7 a pop.
However, with them being the first legal God card prints in 1st Ed, they should only go up in value from this point.

My parting price would be like $10,000 lol... but their worth isn't that much.

Reactions: Giant Saiyan Penis

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
I'm tempted to grade those Pokemon Promos though, namely the Ancient Mews.

They go for $100-150 a pop if graded 9.7 or better. I'm pretty confident they would, and quite possibly all 10.0.

Word has it, my friends grandfather who collected Pokemon cards, always wore gloves handling them and always immediately sleeved & hardshelled (Toploader sleeves) any cards that were either rare, valuable, or special.

So these Mews have never been touched by human hands.

It would cost me $20 a piece to grade them though.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: