Thinking through the high gravity of certain planets in Dragonball's Universe.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I don't think they ever quite explained it.

Gohan also appears to be the only human/saiyajin hybrid that had special potential that was ever explicitly discussed (his rage boosts).

I mean, sure Trunks and Goten were strong and got to super saiyajin level pretty young, but that could easily be chalked up to their being saiyajins and everybody around, including the humans and the namekian being at absurd levels of power. Knock em around a few times in spars and ensure they get healed and zenkai boosts will set the little rugrats on a course to catch up.

Of course, i'm also just ignoring Toriyama's inability to be consistent about anything and his far greater interest in things being "cool" than making any kind of sense.
Maybe a lot of Gohan's powers come down to being trained with Piccolo as well. Or perhaps, he was just more Saiyan than human. I did read the DNA is not always equal. In some cases, children will be more human than Saiyan and vice versa. Who knows though cause like you said, Toriyama is just not consistent.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Maybe a lot of Gohan's powers come down to being trained with Piccolo as well. Or perhaps, he was just more Saiyan than human. I did read the DNA is not always equal. In some cases, children will be more human than Saiyan and vice versa. Who knows though cause like you said, Toriyama is just not consistent.

Gohan might be genetically more Saiyan than human but he's near absolutely human when it comes to culture and personality. The rage boosts might come from his Saiyan heritage but it just might be due to an unexplained instability that some hybrids inherit. Like you said Toriyama is inconsistent as hell.

My personal opinion is that there are far too many factors to take into account as to the "What" of the issue. It all boils down to the person at large, for instance, Vegeta's pride gets in the way. Like Whis said in Super he's too stiff and he tends to overthink. Goku doesn't have the same sense of pride but it manifests in his desire to overcome greater and greater challenges. He's also far too aloof for his own good. The guy in my avatar up there is hampered by his idealism which manifests in a do-gooder mentality. This stems from a repressed trauma he experienced as a child. As he got older it became more narrowly focused as a desire to protect his family but he'll always be that guy to throw himself in front of danger to protect his loved ones, anything be damned. They all share a common thread amongst Saiyans like wanting to fight, hunger, and attraction to strong willed women, but each one of them has an individual character fault.

I think all their children are much less "broken" than they are but still retain some questionable traits. Gohan is very book smart but he's naïve to a lot of the real world due to a sheltered childhood. Future Trunks is probably the most well rounded even though he's suffered the most out of anyone. He adapted to survive which made him the man he is today. Present Trunks is cocky due to his privileged upbringing. We can only hope he grows out of it. Shihori gets overly emotional in the heat of the moment which clouds her judgement. Their second born children are more grounded which should give us hope that their parents are capable of growth and made their mistakes with the first round of kids.

Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Present Trunks is cocky due to his privileged upbringing. We can only hope he grows out of it. Shihori gets overly emotional in the heat of the moment which clouds her judgement. Their second born children are more grounded which should give us hope that their parents are capable of growth and made their mistakes with the first round of kids.
It is funny you point this out, I noticed this and I am honestly not a fan of him. I think losing his father (Future Trunks) humbled him. I mean, he never got to know who he was. It was just him, Bulma, and Gohan and I think the close relationship with Gohan also humbled him.

Kotoroshinoto

Saiyan Grunt
In the first generation cross from otherwise purebred strains, the offspring will always be 50% one lineage and 50% the other.

AFTER that, all bets are off. on a population scale and across multiple children, you'd get approximately 50% genomic remix, so its roughly accurate to call Pan 25% saiyajin, but in reality, she could be anywhere in the range from 0% to 50% depending on which chromosomes she inherited from her father, and it gets more complex even than that, as we don't really know which parts of the genome are responsible for saiyajin traits. its possible that every saiyajin in the show is effectively 100% saiyajin (even if the genomes are technically not) if all of those traits are dominant and have been fully passed onto their offspring.

We'll never get a full answer to this, nor do I actually want the author to try, Toriyama has no expertise in genetics and development and so whatever response he gives is likely to give me a migraine.

Reactions: Beerus

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
In the first generation cross from otherwise purebred strains, the offspring will always be 50% one lineage and 50% the other.

AFTER that, all bets are off. on a population scale and across multiple children, you'd get approximately 50% genomic remix, so its roughly accurate to call Pan 25% saiyajin, but in reality, she could be anywhere in the range from 0% to 50% depending on which chromosomes she inherited from her father, and it gets more complex even than that, as we don't really know which parts of the genome are responsible for saiyajin traits. its possible that every saiyajin in the show is effectively 100% saiyajin (even if the genomes are technically not) if all of those traits are dominant and have been fully passed onto their offspring.

We'll never get a full answer to this, nor do I actually want the author to try, Toriyama has no expertise in genetics and development and so whatever response he gives is likely to give me a migraine.

Would it be fair to say that in that 50% there is variance for certain traits? Like how Gohan had a tail and none of the other half-breeds did?

Kotoroshinoto

Saiyan Grunt
that wouldn't make sense for a first generation cross.

the real explanation is the silly man forgot his own character rules.

We can always chalk it up to the tail having been pre-emptively removed off screen.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Unless they bring SSJ4 into the main continuity it’s a moot point anyway. The days of Oozaru have long since been numbered.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: