Video Games Top 5 (8) Switch game recommendations

scoutterSSJ

Saiyan Grunt
5. Pokémon Sword & Shield
share_icon-fb_en-us[1].jpg

With it's incredibly high number of different monsters, it's deep gameplay mechanics, it's very easily approachable gameplay design and it's undeniable charm, Pokémon is always among the top-tier RPGs of each generation.
No game offers such depth while being so kid-friendly, but that also has a bit of a drawback: it's on the easy side until you reach the post-game or decide to invest on the meta-game.
It's open ended approach to gameplay (you can focus on collecting or on being the strongest -or both if you sink enough hours-) allows for skilled players to have a good challenge with a bit of imagination (I only kept totally evolved pokémon from Gym to Gym, starting with a new team that I couldn't change until I beat the next gym without of course knowing of which type it was going to be).

Excellent RPG that will allow you to sink dozens and dozens of hours. It's only below the other RPG on the list because the main story will never force you to dive deep into the gameplay mechanics and only the multiplayer aspect of the game (if you want to get any competitive at lest) is designed around some of the more hidden aspects of the game.

4. Splatoon 2 & Smash Ultimate
6532038d071bc0ef0422a35130694f66[1].jpg

When it comes to those 2 games, I think they're very close in the sense that they're "conservative" sequels of very original games that still makes them unique.
Smash Ultimate is perfection, just anything any smash fan could desire and then some more.
On the other hand, if Splatoon 2 isn't as complete as a package, the first one was such a fresh and original concept that still hasn't been replicated in any other game so the sequel is still absolutely fresh and unique, and I'm not as "tired" of the formula as with Smash after 4 prior entries of the series (ultimate is the 5th one).

Of course, both of those games have the Nintendo seal of quality in terms of gameplay: very easy to pick, very deep and hard to master.
Excellent games.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive edition & Bayonetta 1 & 2
maxresdefault[1].jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles is my favourite classic (in structure) JRPG game of all time. With it's fantastic characters, incredible settings (that will only be more beautiful in the Switch version), incredibly deep gameplay mechanics (you can configure your characters in dozens of aspects, some of which are directly tied with the secondary quests which automatically makes them more rewarding than in your usual JRPG) and a well written & interesting plot with it's own share of legit good twists.
The definitive edition hasn't been released yet, but this spot is almost deserved just going with an upscale of the original, let alone if the game has even more quests & zones to explore.

On the other hand, Bayonetta 1&2 (two of the best hack&slashes ever, if not the best 2) for the price of 1 game is also such a incredible offer in terms of enjoyment per buck invested.
Bayonetta's gameplay is as deep as any Nintendo game can be, and it shows during both games coupled with amazing set-pieces (especially in Bayonetta 2).

2. The legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild
maxresdefault[1].jpg

BoTW is one of my favourite adventue games not only on the switch, but of all time.
But also as a fan of classic Zelda, I missed the more elaborate dungeons the series delivers to us. That being said, Breath of the wild achieves things I thought unthinkable in an open world videogame (the level design in this game is WILD, pun intended) and it's open-ended exploration approach with all the gameplay mechanics carefully designed around it will always make it an atemporal masterpiece.
This game will surely impact how open worlds are designed in the future (it's mad success proves the public don't need open worlds to be designed in the traditional ways) and it deserves every bit of praise it has gotten.
It can be improved though, because we know Nintendo can do better dungeons, and now we know they can do excellent overworlds as well.

1 Toki Tori 2+ & Super Mario Odyssey
71W2sTLufnL._AC_SY445_[1].jpg
super-mario-odyssey-switch-cover[1].jpg

So, what can be better than an atemporal masterpiece? Well, two other atemporal masterpieces, of course.
Toki Tori 2 is a puzzle game that will never have competitors in it's genre&design unless Toki Tori 3 is released I'm afraid (I wish more games would learn a lesson or two from this one).
It's the nintendo way of doing videogames (commit to a few simple ideas and develop interesting gameplay around them) taken to the utmost extreme.
So, what does Toki Tori 2+ that no other game I've ever played managed to do? Easy: it has the best level design of any videogame I've ever seen, and it evolves one of my favourite genres -the metroidvania one- in a way I never thought was possible! Because yes, Toki Tori 2+ is a PUZZLE-METROID-VANIA.
But it's not just a simple puzzle-metroid-vania (that alone would make it unique enough already), it goes further evolving the genre becasue this game doesn't have any upgrades for your character (you will only be able to stomp at the ground or tweet) and it chooses to guide you through the scenario by teaching you how to interact with it.
In other words, if your usual metroid-vania game will always start with a very branching path but will limit your progress with unlockable doors that will require you to look for a certain item, Toki Tori 2+ approach is more linear at first glance but once you learn what you can really do, it suddenly opens completely in a way no other game has ever done.

It's also one of the more rewarding games when it comes to 100% it, as it's collectibles (some golden pieces you collect all over the scenario) are always hidden at plain sight (and for the few ones that you can't see, there's a tracker that tells you in which direction to go to find them) and always behind an interesting puzzle (in fact some of the hardest puzzles are there to prevent you from 100%ing the game, not to progress into the main story).

Timeless masterpiece which is available in every single console & steam as well. It's only flaw is that until the game clicks with you and you really understand how it works, it may be not as engaging as the other games of the list.
But it goes much further in terms of level design and originality than it has any right to do, so it deserves this shared 1st spot.

And now Mario Odyssey, what can be said about this game? It evolved the 3d platforming genre witht he cappy thing in a way I think that for Nintendo, all 3d marios will have to incorporate that mechanic from now on.
The sheer variety of gameplay scenarios that can be achieved with it is perfect for what 3D Mario always wanted to be: a playground where you could have tons of fun exploring and doing diferent platforming related things.

Mario Odyssey has found the "gimmick" that will allow Nintendo to make dozens and dozens of different games and with different gameplay innovations just by implementing new enemies or new environmental hazards (the sheer combination of hazards and enemies you can possess can already make a ton of fun, new gameplay scenarios) and all that besides any other crazy idea Nintendo can come up with.
It's only drawback is that it's a bit on the easy side if you don't pay atention to the fact that every level has at least an alternative "speedruning" route that gives the more experimented players the ability to complete the objectives while also having a great time.

If only they upped a bit the difficulty of the normal obstacles it would be the absolute best 3D Mario game that could be created, now it's just the absolute best 3D Mario game that has been created surpassing one of the best games of all time (SM64). Crazy.

And that's my top10 for the Switch. As you may have noticed, I value gameplay above anything else and that's why a lot of the games of the list are from Nintendo themselves.

PD: One spot of the list would normally be reserved to RE:Remake, because it's simply one of the best games of all time and the best survival horror game of all time, but the Switch port is not as good as it should be (it even has loading-time problems not present in the original GC game!).
It's still one heck of a game and it should still be bought by any Switch owner that doesn't have a PS4/XBO or simply wants to play it portably, it's just that fucking capcom was a bit lazy with it (it's still better than the attrocious RE:0 port at least).

Regards!

Last edited:

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Smash Ulitmate is my favourite Switch game, if not my favourite game period. I never played Xenoblade Chronicles, but it's definitely excited to change that once it releases on the Switch. Breath of the Wild is great, and Super Mario Odyssey is my favourite 3D platformer. Never even heard of Toki Tori 2 but you've definitely piqued my curiosity, I may have to look into that (though I'm not huge on Metroidvania's but they way you describe it's structure sounds more interesting to me).

Reactions: scoutterSSJ

scoutterSSJ

Saiyan Grunt
Smash Ulitmate is my favourite Switch game, if not my favourite game period. I never played Xenoblade Chronicles, but it's definitely excited to change that once it releases on the Switch. Breath of the Wild is great, and Super Mario Odyssey is my favourite 3D platformer. Never even heard of Toki Tori 2 but you've definitely piqued my curiosity, I may have to look into that (though I'm not huge on Metroidvania's but they way you describe it's structure sounds more interesting to me).
Yeah, any game on that list can be number 1, in fact, even games not in that list (Mario & Rabbits or Mario Kart 8 for example) could be someone's number 1 and I would see it as a very valid pick-up.
Regarding Toki Tori 2, believe me, it's an absolute masterpiece. I think it's very discounted now but even if it isn't, at 15€ you're getting the most ambitious puzzle game that is 100% logic, 0% luck. Because of how the puzzles are designed, it's very difficult you'll come to a solution just by randomly doing things. You can only perform 2 actions, but it's amazing how many interactions are possible with any given animal and how the game really is designed to take full advantage of complex interactions between two or more species.

And since it's not a tecnically very demanding game (I find it beautiful enough though), it's perfect for the switch since it's tecnically 100% on pair with any other version of the game.

Regards!

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: