Was Namek a monstrously large planet or do we bloat the power levels?

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
I was just thinking about Frieza's feat of blowing up Vegeta vs blowing up Namek.

He was in his weakest state of roughly 400,000 when blowing up Vegeta instantly.

He was in his strongest (But weakened by damage) state of at least 100,000,000... 250x stronger... and barely managed to cause a fissure strong enough to blow it up.... after 5 minutes.

This means that, somehow, Namek was 300x more resilient than Vegeta.

Whether that's due to core-composition or size, I can't say. Either way, 300x is a pretty massive difference.

That's worsened by the observation that Frieza wasn't even putting any effort into blowing up Namek, while he clearly put some oomph into the blast to destroy Namek.

_________

This has me considering an overhaul of my power level list.

Just hear me out here.
What if Goku was FAR more damaged than we think by the time he launched the Spirit Bomb at Frieza and what if that Spirit Bomb did FAR more damage than we think?

It's fairly arbitrary, but if you put base Goku right before SSJ at 10,000 and Frieza post-Spirit Bomb at 400,000 the resilience of Namek makes more sense.

Last edited:

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Namek likely had a much larger core and because it wasn't stripped of resources so heavily like planet Vegeta, it was likely more stable and stronger. My guess to why it took more power and energy is just that. Namek was a healthier planet overall. Also, I think they downplayed and rushed what was going on for planet Vegeta's destruction.

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
Namek likely had a much larger core and because it wasn't stripped of resources so heavily like planet Vegeta, it was likely more stable and stronger. My guess to why it took more power and energy is just that. Namek was a healthier planet overall. Also, I think they downplayed and rushed what was going on for planet Vegeta's destruction.

But the difference is still way too stark. Those factors can only make so much of a difference. I don't think it's 500x

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I did a bit of digging and according to the English version of the anime, it was compared to being the size of Earth. This was not stated in the manga or original version of the anime though.

Apparently, there is something else to this to. Frieza held back on Namek. He didn't want to destroy the planet right away because that would mean he would be killing himself as well. This is why it appears that Namek "took more power" to destroy in comparison to planet Vegeta when it didn't. He destroyed it in a way to allow him to have time to (in his mind) kill Goku and leave before it got completely destroyed. He basically fractured the core of the planet, he didn't destroy it outright.

Reactions: Blockinlick

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
I did a bit of digging and according to the English version of the anime, it was compared to being the size of Earth. This was not stated in the manga or original version of the anime though.

Apparently, there is something else to this to. Frieza held back on Namek. He didn't want to destroy the planet right away because that would mean he would be killing himself as well. This is why it appears that Namek "took more power" to destroy in comparison to planet Vegeta when it didn't. He destroyed it in a way to allow him to have time to (in his mind) kill Goku and leave before it got completely destroyed. He basically fractured the core of the planet, he didn't destroy it outright.

That does make sense. Actually, he gives it 5 minutes likely because he's done it that way before. Which makes it make even more sense.

Reactions: Beerus

POOHEAD189

Saiyan Grunt
I don't think it's a power difference, but an effort difference. Vegeta was blown up callously because Frieza was not in the blast radius.

Notaka

Saiyan Grunt
Frieza didn't destroy Namek because he was afraid that he'd kill himself and thus subconsciously held back. Goku even called him up on that.
Chapter: 320 (DBZ 126), P9.2
Context: after it turns out Planet Namek didn’t blow up
Freeza: “Chih…! Did I suppress my power too much…?!”
Goku: “It’s because you were afraid of getting caught up in the planet’s explosion yourself…You screwed up. Though thanks to that, I survived…”

As to whether Namek is larger than Earth or not, it's hard to say. But there are way less Namekians than Earthlings, so, maybe Namek is smaller?

mattu

Saiyan Grunt
Frieza didn't destroy Namek because he was afraid that he'd kill himself and thus subconsciously held back. Goku even called him up on that.
Chapter: 320 (DBZ 126), P9.2
Context: after it turns out Planet Namek didn’t blow up
Freeza: “Chih…! Did I suppress my power too much…?!”
Goku: “It’s because you were afraid of getting caught up in the planet’s explosion yourself…You screwed up. Though thanks to that, I survived…”

As to whether Namek is larger than Earth or not, it's hard to say. But there are way less Namekians than Earthlings, so, maybe Namek is smaller?
Their population was reduced because of a supermassive storm that raged for a really long time, which was the reason Kami/Piccolo were on Earth.

Giga Hertz

The beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair
Super Saiyan God
Their population was reduced because of a supermassive storm that raged for a really long time, which was the reason Kami/Piccolo were on Earth.
Also repopulating was entirely done by Guru. I'm assuming he can't just spit out eggs every day.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I think Freeza just wanted the satisfaction of (possibly) killing Goku before Namek blew up.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: