Dragon Ball Z Who was the weakest link of the entire series?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
In terms of strength and character building alone, who would you say was the weakest link?
For the longest time, I thought it was Yamcha. It is fairly obvious why... :dead:
However, after watching Dragon Ball (yes, I watched them out of order like a typical American lol) I changed my mind on this. He was always kind of a "weak jock" in a sense. He was cocky and full of himself but often came up short and never really took responsibility for it. He wasn't necessarily weak but more a less playing to his character's role.

Who do I now think is the weakest link? Well... Tien.

LonelyWindyEidolonhelvum-small.gif

Time and time again he was shown to be strong but sold short. Knowing how he started and what he came from in Dragon Ball, I would expect him to be on par with Piccolo or at least fairly close to him. He fell way behind and it really didn't make sense to me. His strength was shown at some points like during the Perfect Cell Saga but overall he just felt like a weak link to me. I know some people may argue Krillin was more of a weak link but the background and character building of Tien in the past just makes me think he should have been better. Not to mention we went how many sagas without seeing his Four Witches Technique!?

Who would you consider the weakest of the Z fighters?

Last edited:

Tekkin

Saiyan Warrior
I wouldn't say it was either of them. To me, it was always Krillin. He seemed to progress only far enough to be included in the adventures. He trained with Goku as a freaking kid, one would think he would have become more than he did. I know he's human and limited in comparison to Piccolo or Goku but come on. I would also throw Chiaotzu in here if he was more relevant in the series.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
Yamcha has more character development than Tenshinhan for sure. Yamcha was around longer in the series longer, and he also knew his place as a Z Fighter in Dragon Ball Z seeing how he wasn't as headstrong as Tenshinhan when it came to rushing into a fight where he was outclassed. He also very likely didn't cheat on Bulma like she implied (something like that just isn't in his character), and he even took Bulma dumping him for someone like Vegeta at that point in the series like a champ, and they were in a relationship with each other for over a decade. Tenshinhan's character development ended right after the 22nd Budokai Arc. After that, he's just Goku's rival in Part I, and a supporting fighter in Z. He also doesn't have any feelings for Lunch obviously even though she's crazy, but then again so is Bulma.

I do think Yamcha is always the first to lose in the battlefield, however. He loses all three Budokais during the first rounds, although he put up a good fight against Tenshinhan, and held his own against Kami at the end of the match once he knew what he was actually dealing with. He dies first in the Vegeta Saga (against the Saibaman mind you, which the other Z Fighters took care of with ease), almost dies against Gero while they were in the city and not the battlefield, and doesn't even fight in the 25th Budokai, while Krillin does and Tenshinhan has the excuse that he went on his own journey to never see the Z Fighters again. Meanwhile, Tenshinhan was always the second strongest Z Fighter after Goku during Dragon Ball. He also manhandled the Saibamen and while Nappa toyed with him, was still a legitimate challenge to him and even sacrificed himself against Nappa, who guarded himself against the Kikoho. He also upgraded the Kikoho after the Saiyan and Freeza Arcs and the attack became strong enough to hold off Cell and later strong enough to deflect Boo's ki blast against Dende and Mr Satan.

When it comes to character development, Tenshinhan is the weakest link, and when it comes to being a Z Fighter, Yamcha is the weakest link. Yamcha and Tenshinhan actually have a lot of similarities as characters in the story though and you can tell they have a mutual respect for each other as fighters and as people.

Krillin is the most useful of the three Earthlings both as a Z Fighter and as a Character. I actually think that should be obvious to anyone who's watched or read Dragon Ball.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Beerus

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I have a lot of love for Tien. He went through a lot of personal development early on in Dragonball and became a great ally. He continued to train and become stronger but then plateaued. But when you think about it, that's basically what happened to all of the other Z fighters. It became the Goku and Vegeta show (well, it was always the Goku show, but you get what I mean, I think). There could have been so many possibilities that would be fun to explore. What if...just what if they introduced a human transformation? How awesome would that be? The most we got for humans was unlock potential. Boring. The human characters could become a lot more interesting if they were given some love. But I don't think that's going to happen.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: