Movies Will Movie Theaters Die Off?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I won't get into all the details here, you can watch the video below for those. I just mentioned the other day to Jay that I think the movie industry is tanking. People seem to be more invested and interested in TV series or streamed series vs movies anymore. This is not to say there aren't any people who enjoy movies, plenty still do but there has been a shift in the last 25 years.

Movie ticket prices to view in theaters is up 109% from 1995. Because the prices have gone up so much, people are less likely to watch movies when they are released in theaters, or at the very least, be more choosy of which movies they will watch there and which they will wait to watch at home.

So you have a lot of these places in massive amounts of debt and thanks to the coronavirus issue this year, it only escalated their money troubles.

I can't see them recovering from this at this point and I think they will almost entirely close down in the next 5 years. There are even talks of Disney moving their movie releases to Disney + which would basically kill the movie theater business overnight.

Do you think they will die off?

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
Oh boy, I could get into this, but then everyone would be like "Oh! Seto is one of those people that hate digital, and still holds on physical media, and he sounds like a madman."

• Funny
Reactions: Beerus

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I think so. They've already declined a lot and only pulled a little ahead when they started serving alcohol and added big, spacious, reclining chairs. I recently read that a couple big movie chains are no longer going to show Universal films over some dispute...in which case, Universal will probably just setup a streaming service and then release to other streaming services after enough money was made.

People rather stay at home and watch, anyway. There's very little benefit to going to a theater these days.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Oh boy, I could get into this, but then everyone would be like "Oh! Seto is one of those people that hate digital, and still holds on physical media, and he sounds like a madman."
Digital like streaming and what not? Like you prefer physical copies of movies?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I think so. They've already declined a lot and only pulled a little ahead when they started serving alcohol and added big, spacious, reclining chairs. I recently read that a couple big movie chains are no longer going to show Universal films over some dispute...in which case, Universal will probably just setup a streaming service and then release to other streaming services after enough money was made.

People rather stay at home and watch, anyway. There's very little benefit to going to a theater these days.
Yeah, and they charge you so damn much for everything. You are not only paying a lot for a ticket but the prices of drinks and snacks are ridiculous. I can make a bucket full of popcorn with butter and it cost me less than a dollar at home but they charge like $10.

• Agree
Reactions: LividJay

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Yeah, and they charge you so damn much for everything. You are not only paying a lot for a ticket but the prices of drinks and snacks are ridiculous. I can make a bucket full of popcorn with butter and it cost me less than a dollar at home but they charge like $10.
yeap. I do have some nostalgia from going to theaters with my dad and what not. However, I won't miss them that much. I have a nice 4k HD tv, a fridge full of beer, and popcorn. I'm good to go.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
yeap. I do have some nostalgia from going to theaters with my dad and what not. However, I won't miss them that much. I have a nice 4k HD tv, a fridge full of beer, and popcorn. I'm good to go.
My dad used to take me and my brother when we were kids and I loved the experience then but it does nothing for me now. Likely because I have to pay for it and I am more aware of how annoying people can be. lol

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
We experienced the benefits first hand when we rented The Invisible Man on VOD. I got a 48 hr rental of a movie that should have been playing in theaters for $19.99. That’s a little more than the price of one movie ticket nowadays. I got to sit in the comfort of my own home, eat whatever I wanted, drink whatever I wanted, and pause if someone needed to go to the bathroom.

Aside from people losing their jobs at AMC or Regal, I don’t see a downside to this trend.

• Agree
Reactions: LividJay and Beerus

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
Digital like streaming and what not? Like you prefer physical copies of movies?
Yeah, digital as in streaming movies and such, but also books. When I was younger I always wanted digital to be the way, but as I got older I began collecting and liking to have physical copies of things like books, movies, and so on. This was mainly brought on by reading 1984 and A Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451 and the quote that says History is written by the winners. It made me paranoid, I guess you could say, to think that some could change history if there was no physical copy of said thing, you know. The other reason is because I like to see where my money goes or see what I bought with it, if that makes sense. Though on the bright side people are beginning to buy more physical copies of items. As far as theaters go, I hope they don't go way because I still think they are needed and it is the only place to truly experience Rock horror picture show right. Again, I could go more into it, but I would sound like a madman who can't let go of the past

• Informative

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Yeah, digital as in streaming movies and such, but also books. When I was younger I always wanted digital to be the way, but as I got older I began collecting and liking to have physical copies of things like books, movies, and so on. This was mainly brought on by reading 1984 and A Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451 and the quote that says History is written by the winners. It made me paranoid, I guess you could say, to think that some could change history if there was no physical copy of said thing, you know. The other reason is because I like to see where my money goes or see what I bought with it, if that makes sense. Though on the bright side people are beginning to buy more physical copies of items. As far as theaters go, I hope they don't go way because I still think they are needed and it is the only place to truly experience Rock horror picture show right. Again, I could go more into it, but I would sound like a madman who can't let go of the past
The stories you mentioned, a lot in them has already come to pass which is wild and crazy when you think about it but I see your point. Like if they do away with physical evidence and everything is placed "online" or in some cloud, anyone can alter things at any time and basically rewrite history without any proof of having done it. As for wanting a physical version of what you buy, I get that too. If you don't see your money, you feel like it has been wasted.

Reactions: Punkhead

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
The stories you mentioned, a lot in them has already come to pass which is wild and crazy when you think about it but I see your point. Like if they do away with physical evidence and everything is placed "online" or in some cloud, anyone can alter things at any time and basically rewrite history without any proof of having done it. As for wanting a physical version of what you buy, I get that too. If you don't see your money, you feel like it has been wasted.
You are the first person to see my point.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan

As a video game collector who also happens to have 1200+ DVDs sitting on my selves atm, I'm 100% with you on physical media.

As for movie theatres, yeah, they're going to die off. I love going to the movies, but it's too expensive and more and more people are just waiting to watch it on a streaming service. So while I'll miss them and the nostalgia of going to the movies and eating way too much popcorn for your own good, there's no question they're going to be relegated to a thing of the past soon enough.

Reactions: Punkhead and Beerus

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Drive-in's are fantastic. They're definitely not as expensive as the traditional movie theatre, you get more or less the same experience, but in the comfort of your own car. I used to take my '93 Suburban to the drive in, open the back doors and put some blankets down and boom...like watching a movie in bed!

Reactions: Punkhead and Beerus

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
I was very fortunate to have drive-in theatre in my small ass town. I have fond memories of laying in the back of my dad's pick-up truck on blankets with the sliding back window open so we could hear the audio from the movie coming from the radio. Good times, I just talked about taking Mrs. India Actual to a drive-in because we found out there's one here. I even said we're going to fog up the windows which was received with a very deep eye roll. :ROFLMAO:

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: