Your Hometown?

Carnotaurus

Roar!
Super Saiyan
I'm not going to use real names because probably nobody heard about these. So I'm going to use their internet slang counterparts instead. I was born and raised in Hackerville and currently living in Transylvania.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I'm not going to use real names because probably nobody heard about these. So I'm going to use their internet slang counterparts instead. I was born and raised in Hackerville and currently living in Transylvania.
Quite an entrepreneurial city, it seems! :eek:

I went to high school with quite a few Romanian-born students and I always wondered why it was just myself and them who were proficient in all of the computer-based classes, guess I know now :ROFLMAO:

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Quite an entrepreneurial city, it seems! :eek:

I went to high school with quite a few Romanian-born students and I always wondered why it was just myself and them who were proficient in all of the computer-based classes, guess I know now :ROFLMAO:
Nice! I think you're our first European member. Beerus can correct and hakai me if I'm wrong, but happy to have you around. Need some culture up in here to displace all the savage Americans. :ROFLMAO:

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
@India Actual thanks!

@Super Kami Guru programming was very popular when I was in school, it was taught since 5th grade. I can still recall some Pascal, HTML and C++. And there were some very talented hackers in my school. Some of them are nowadays working in AI development, some of them were turned in. Tough luck. :ROFLMAO:
Impressive, they certainly didn't teach programming at the schools I went to until around about 8th grade, and that was super basic stuff. They taught some HTML before that, but it was tediously introductory that most people who took the course passed by creating a simple table of something. I learned more on my own than I ever did in school :D. Still, impressive that there they support programming enough that people can get so in-depth so quickly that hacking becomes a pasttime...it's certainly a unique approach....

Carnotaurus

Roar!
Super Saiyan
Impressive, they certainly didn't teach programming at the schools I went to until around about 8th grade, and that was super basic stuff. They taught some HTML before that, but it was tediously introductory that most people who took the course passed by creating a simple table of something. I learned more on my own than I ever did in school :D. Still, impressive that there they support programming enough that people can get so in-depth so quickly that hacking becomes a pasttime...it's certainly a unique approach....

Did you learn by yourself through online courses or YouTube videos? I'm interested too.

Anyways back then we couldn't pass the class without doing basic calculation programs or loops. Respectively a basic website. The theory was tedious as well. We would write programs in notebooks at the beginning. Actual paper notebooks. :ROFLMAO:

And growing up among hackers was really uneasy for us. We had no privacy whatsoever. There were people breaking into our internet accounts, webcams, even PCs. Just for the lolz.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Did you learn by yourself through online courses or YouTube videos? I'm interested too.

Back when I started there was no YouTube or internet courses, you had to learn from books, very specific websites, and if you were lucky enough to be studying a language that had one -- the online documentation of the language's official website. It was tedious, but you had to learn by doing, mostly, and that could get frustrating. It's one reason why I'm so thankful for the eventual boom of forum software, it created programming communities that helped to share and teach.

Anyways back then we couldn't pass the class without doing basic calculation programs or loops. Respectively a basic website. The theory was tedious as well. We would write programs in notebooks at the beginning. Actual paper notebooks. :ROFLMAO:

Oh yeah, I've seen that done quite a lot, even had a few friends that learned by hand writing their code at first. I suppose it's a good way because it makes you think more about what you're doing, but it's also fairly impractical since...well...no matter how much you write, that code's not going to do anything :D. Great for writing pseudocode, perhaps, or ideas for UML, but nothing functional.

And growing up among hackers was really uneasy for us. We had no privacy whatsoever. There were people breaking into our internet accounts, webcams, even PCs. Just for the lolz.
Oh wow, yeah, that must've been crappy. So many risks of people just hijacking your network or computers because they can...not fun!

Reactions: Carnotaurus
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: