News AMC Theatres Set to Reopen "Almost All" Locations in July, No Details on Social Distancing Plans

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Source: https://www.abc15.com/news/national...cations-in-july-after-taking-a-2-billion-loss

Following a $2billion loss with the corona virus impacting traffic and closing down the chains 1,000+ locations across the US, the company today announced that they will be opening "almost all" of their locations in July, specifically citing the premier of the upcoming Tenet, set for July 17th.

Given that just about every sport under the sun is getting set to restart shortly, this does not surprise me, though I fully expect social distancing measures to be in effect. We'll see how this goes before the inevitable "there's been a spike in covid cases this week" report comes out.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I think we're on the verge of losing movie theatres altogether, and we have streaming to thank for that. Even during all of this, I never once thought "hmm...I'd really like to overpay for popcorn and soda, and pay an additional $10 to sit next to someone I don't know and don't like and watch a movie..." Maybe I'm alone in that, and maybe AMC re-opening will be cause a boom in the movie-going industry once again, but...yeah...I'm not desperate. Granted, movie theatre popcorn is 200x better than the trash we get from the microwave...:(

• Agree
Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I haven't been to the movies in years but last time I went, there were like only 20 people watching the movie I was. I think outside of maybe the first few days a movie comes out, the theaters are dead.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Unless they drive their prices down or focus on making it a better experience somehow, yeah, I'm not sure how they're planning on surviving.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Unless they drive their prices down or focus on making it a better experience somehow, yeah, I'm not sure how they're planning on surviving.
The only thing that brings me to a theater is the fact that I can now recline in my chair and enjoy adult beverages while enjoying a movie on a big screen with awesome audio. But not all movies really requires that big of a screen and that amazing of audio.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
They should downsize them to save money and cut costs. Think of how big one room is for a movie being shown. Make the seats more spread out and put fewer people in each viewing room. Maybe cut it down to like 40 or 50 per room. It would be better for people concerned about the virus as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
It would be nice not to have to sit in an ampitheatre filled to the brim with people on the obligatory xmas day trip to the movies where everyone is looking for something to do so that's where they head. Some of them were just ridiculously full. I'd love a smaller feeling theatre experience, it's actually been a dream of mind to rent this place out w/ friends and family: https://www.harkins.com/freezer

As it is, though, the theatre experience just doesn't work for me anymore. I like the popcorn, I appreciate the audio, but...the rest of it...nah.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Distribution companies see the writing on the wall with home streaming because they earn more versus splitting costs with a a theater chain to show their film. If it makes money, it makes sense.

Reactions: LividJay

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Distribution companies see the writing on the wall with home streaming because they earn more versus splitting costs with a a theater chain to show their film. If it makes money, it makes sense.
Disney is said to be making some moves or preparations to start streaming all their movies on their network in the future. That would be the nail in the coffin considering those are the top earning movies in theaters.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Disney is said to be making some moves or preparations to start streaming all their movies on their network in the future. That would be the nail in the coffin considering those are the top earning movies in theaters.
it's inevitable. The fact that it's taken this long for theaters to die is surprising to me.

• Agree

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Completely agreed, it's somewhat of an antiquated experience these days, so...like Blockbuster before them, the big movie theatre chains are set to go bye bye. Leave the drive-ins, though, those are still cool...

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Completely agreed, it's somewhat of an antiquated experience these days, so...like Blockbuster before them, the big movie theatre chains are set to go bye bye. Leave the drive-ins, though, those are still cool...
damn, I still feel nostalgia from Blockbuster when I'd stay at my grandma's for a week and my brother, cousins, and I would go rent a Nintendo or Sega and several games and have a blast.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin

Yeah and I still need to go to one! I mean just make those the gold standard again.

• Agree

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
damn, I still feel nostalgia from Blockbuster when I'd stay at my grandma's for a week and my brother, cousins, and I would go rent a Nintendo or Sega and several games and have a blast.

Oh hell yeah, renting consoles from Blockbuster back in the day was the best thing ever. Especially when they came in those huge cases that made them seem like spy tools to a kid...amazingness.

Yeah and I still need to go to one! I mean just make those the gold standard again.

Yes you do! Experience that amazingness. There's just something about them that makes them a really neat experience, and isn't anywhere near as annoying as going to the theatre.

Reactions: LividJay and Beerus
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: