Dialects and accents

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
So I've been thinking about different dialects and accents that are portrayed throughout anime whether it be native Japanese or an English dub. It seems many anime characters in Japanese have a regional dialect or accent while dub characters are generally voiced with a pretty flat "General American" accent with no clear regional distinction.

Take Son Goku for instance. In Japan, Masako Nozawa voices him with a very distinct Tohoku accent from the north of Japan. It's meant to sound hick-ish or like a country bumpkin. What's hick-ish to them doesn't translate exactly to English though because the Tohoku dialect drops a lot of raising and neutralizes vowel sounds making words seem cut off or homophonic in nature. Sean Schemmel is from California and speaks with a non-discernable "General American" English accent. So all that hick-ish charm about Goku is pretty lost and he seems more like a dimwit.

I know I've brought up how I think my own characters would sound before. This has been mostly Japanese voice actors because I really can't think of too many main stream English VAs that I personally or professionally admire. So that brings me to my point. What would Korian and company sound like speaking English? Well, aside from Sorrel since Holly Franklin did a pretty bang up job of lending her a voice. What types of accents do you think Korian, Shihori, Kuroba, and Kitsune would have? I have a general idea, bear with me.

So Kitsune is of an older generation than Korian and she was raised in a group home type settings. She's the product of hard training and relentless repetition in studying and physicality. To me she'd be a bit more refined speaker because of her more standardized education and from being around a group of people. That being said to throw in a little flavor she definitely does have an accent and that would be a high southern accent like you would hear on those educated in the deep south with a little bit of a drawl, but barely noticeable.

Korian on the other hand while educated, home schooled more like it, would be less used to fitting in proper in society and be more lax in his manner of speak, more familiar more like it. So he'd be a bit more south of Kitsune and more casual. A co-worker of mine from Memphis comes to mind, it's crisp, precise, and clearly from the Volunteer state. :LOL:

Shihori and Kuroba would be interesting because I place Sorrel more being from the city so she would be closer to something you would hear in Philly or NJ. So these two would be and interesting case in being able to hide one's accent until they slip into it by being at home or in a moment of excitement. Shihori especially would speak rather proper until she got frustrated and angry then she's going to tell someone to "Bless your heart" and then it's all over. :sneaky:

I would love to hear your thoughts on who you think would sound like what.

As an aside, here's a low quality but highly accurate video on how we talk where I grew up.

Reactions: Beerus

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
You can voice them any way you want to, in my head, Shihori's such a bad ass she's always going to have a female version of Ray Winstone's Southern London accent in my mind :D

• Love
Reactions: India Actual

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
You can voice them any way you want to, in my head, Shihori's such a bad ass she's always going to have a female version of Ray Winstone's Southern London accent in my mind :D

I appreciate the accent education because I was falling back on things I know. You being from across the pond is insightful. Anything is possible, but I can totally hear Shihori in my head going '"F*CK OFF!" in this accent.

Similar to.....

Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I appreciate the accent education because I was falling back on things I know. You being from across the pond is insightful. Anything is possible, but I can totally hear Shihori in my head going '"F*CK OFF!" in this accent.

Similar to.....

Ah yeah, Vinnie Jones, he's got a good near-London accent, too :D.

Could also go Scouse:

Or Sheffield:

Britain has some great dialects for badass characters ;)

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Ah yeah, Vinnie Jones, he's got a good near-London accent, too :D.

Could also go Scouse:

Or Sheffield:

Britain has some great dialects for badass characters ;)

Shihori should sound normal-esque and posh when she's trying, but when she gets agitated she falls back into it and goes full tilt like she's back home.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Shihori should sound normal-esque and posh when she's trying, but when she gets agitated she falls back into it and goes full tilt like she's back home.
I could see that being the case with her, definitely. Watch the Sheffield one, the Neil Warnock one, tell me that's not a Super Saiyan speech right there :D. She starts out talking in a nice, normal tone, then descends into "I'd fuckin' die fa' you lot, I would" as she goes in. In my brain she's still female Ray Winstone, but for that level of dialect, she's sounding more like a Neil Warnock :D

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
I could see that being the case with her, definitely. Watch the Sheffield one, the Neil Warnock one, tell me that's not a Super Saiyan speech right there :D. She starts out talking in a nice, normal tone, then descends into "I'd fuckin' die fa' you lot, I would" as she goes in. In my brain she's still female Ray Winstone, but for that level of dialect, she's sounding more like a Neil Warnock :D
Makes more sense now when I had her call Towa a c*nt. Just like her mama. :LOL:

• Funny

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I am terrible with remembering names, can you post pics with the names under them so I can reference them?

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
I am terrible with remembering names, can you post pics with the names under them so I can reference them?
Shihori casual.png
Shihori

1622744452457.png
Kitsune

1622744510182.png
Kuroba

Korian base.jpg
Korian

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
That could work...it's sort of like America's Southern London accent. Well, that or cajun :D
I love Ray Winstone's accent, I really do, wonderful man, but I can't properly place it in my mind. I have no real world context to it being born and bred in this great country of our's. Now, I do realize that Ruth Langmore is a fictional character being portrayed by a young lady born and raised in NYC. That being said, I've been through central Missouri a few times and she's pretty spot on with her dialect.

Something else that came to mind is in and around Tennessee. It's a bit slower and has a smooth drawl to it. I'm just being exploratory at the moment because I really want be able to envision them speaking and calling other folks horrific epitaphs in an engaging accent when necessary.

That being said, I was talking to Salt about it a bit and he just came right out and said that he views Kitsune with a Chinese influence. It's why he draws her the way he does with specifics to her attire. So, I thought about it and I'm pretty down with Kitsune speaking with Chinese accented English. Not in the stereotypical way depicted in media, but actual folks from that part of the world who are bi-lingual. Makes sense when I think about it given the character's origins and her being from a different place and generation than the others.

I'll nail this all down in due time and I am really getting ahead of myself. We haven't even put them into print yet for a comic to be dubbed by anyone. One step at a time and all that. ;)

• Love

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I love Ray Winstone's accent, I really do, wonderful man, but I can't properly place it in my mind. I have no real world context to it being born and bred in this great country of our's. Now, I do realize that Ruth Langmore is a fictional character being portrayed by a young lady born and raised in NYC. That being said, I've been through central Missouri a few times and she's pretty spot on with her dialect.

Something else that came to mind is in and around Tennessee. It's a bit slower and has a smooth drawl to it. I'm just being exploratory at the moment because I really want be able to envision them speaking and calling other folks horrific epitaphs in an engaging accent when necessary.

That being said, I was talking to Salt about it a bit and he just came right out and said that he views Kitsune with a Chinese influence. It's why he draws her the way he does with specifics to her attire. So, I thought about it and I'm pretty down with Kitsune speaking with Chinese accented English. Not in the stereotypical way depicted in media, but actual folks from that part of the world who are bi-lingual. Makes sense when I think about it given the character's origins and her being from a different place and generation than the others.

I'll nail this all down in due time and I am really getting ahead of myself. We haven't even put them into print yet for a comic to be dubbed by anyone. One step at a time and all that. ;)
Oh absolutely, I wouldn't expect you to actually use the southern London accent, I'm just saying, to my mind, from my own experiences and seeing her as a character, that's where my mind goes. Hard as nails, takes no prisoners and lets you know exactly what's on her mind. your experiences are totally different from mine, so I don't honestly expect you to hear her in the same way, and as her creator, it's absolutely your choice as to what accent she has, and I can definitely see her with that southern drawl just as easily as I can see her as she is in my head. I'd never say "well, she's GOT to have this, that or the next, that's your right, and you should absolutely take your time and pick what you think works best :).

I love the idea of Katsune having a Chinese accented dialect, I think that's perfect for her!

• Friendly
Reactions: India Actual
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000: