Does apologizing for a joke make it 10 times worse by today's standards?

Does apologizing for a joke make it 10 times worse by today's standards?

• Yes

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I noticed a lot of people these days getting hit by the cancel culture train and almost always the first reaction is to apologize, even if nothing wrong was done.

Comedy and jokes are meant to be offensive to some degree, that is what makes them funny. Targetting and harassing a single person is a different story but just general jokes about groups of people, government, stores, brands, animals, and so on are almost always okay because in the context of comedy, at least to me. I grew up watching people like George Carlin and one of his prime targets was Christians and Christianity. I didn't take it personally. Maybe that is just me?

Do you think in today's world, apologizing for something that was meant to be a joke only makes things a lot worse? I think it does.

When you apologize, to me, you are saying you meant for it to be offensive outside the realm of comedy. Thoughts?

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Yep, for sure. Because when that joke came around 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago, it was cutting edge and funny. Sensibilities change, times change, and jokes start to lose context over time, but they're still just jokes. Just a bit of banter. Honestly, if people get offended by a joke, they really need to spend a little bit of time in the real world, where there are real things to be concerned about. Hell, take a couple of Karens to an English football match and just see how many managers get called. Fans and players know it's all just banter, but out of context...well...

Reactions: Beerus

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
I think it depends on the apology tbh. If it's genuinely sincere then some people will accept it. But it also depends on the joke. If it really offended a lot of people then more often than not most people will instantly class that person as someone who needs to be cancelled, regardless of the crime. I don't condone cancel culture whatsoever, but in the case of people like EDP445, sometimes an apology just won't cut it. In terms of jokes though, really I think if you're offended, just don't look at it, and an apology only needs to be said if the joke was in really poor taste.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I think it depends on the apology tbh. If it's genuinely sincere then some people will accept it. But it also depends on the joke. If it really offended a lot of people then more often than not most people will instantly class that person as someone who needs to be cancelled, regardless of the crime. I don't condone cancel culture whatsoever, but in the case of people like EDP445, sometimes an apology just won't cut it. In terms of jokes though, really I think if you're offended, just don't look at it, and an apology only needs to be said if the joke was in really poor taste.
EDP445 is a pedo and there is no apologizing for that when you act on it. This is just in the context of comedy, jokes, and humor.

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
EDP445 is a pedo and there is no apologizing for that when you act on it. This is just in the context of comedy, jokes, and humor.
True, but the point I was trying to make was online actions, the severity of the actions, and how people respond to them online.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
True, but the point I was trying to make was online actions, the severity of the actions, and how people respond to them online.
Ah, yeah I see what you mean. You can't base everything on other people's reactions though. Plenty of people have got pissed over the dumbest things while cases like this one (the pedo) a lot of people ignore. There is a lot of evil in the world and issues of abuse, neglect, violence, and so on but it seems the majority of the "outrage" is focused on people's own feelings rather than solving any issue.

Reactions: mundomania

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
Ah, yeah I see what you mean. You can't base everything on other people's reactions though. Plenty of people have got pissed over the dumbest things while cases like this one (the pedo) a lot of people ignore. There is a lot of evil in the world and issues of abuse, neglect, violence, and so on but it seems the majority of the "outrage" is focused on people's own feelings rather than solving any issue.
Exactly. You'll never please everyone on the internet, and "cancel culture" isn't based on any kind of logic or facts, and when it comes to apologies, IMO the outcomes purely relies on the public opinion, which really comes down to offence taken, and the mass behind the attack on the individual.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Had to search who this was. The first thing after some music sites was him getting vaccinated in prison. He only just got caught in 2015.... yikes

A pedo who literally lived in a boat with little boys so he could...well, use your imagination here.

Only thing he ever did that was relevant:

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Yep, he sure is. Managed to run away from his crimes for a number of years, committing more abuse along the way. He's a disgusting person.

giphy.gif

• Agree
Reactions: Super Kami Guru
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky: