Dragon Ball Dub changes

India Actual

Super Hotdog Salesman God
Super Saiyan God
I began watching Dragon Ball from the beginning last night and while chuckling over Goku's hick-ish naivety and crass demeanor, I wondered to myself, how different was the sub from the dub?

Have a look see for yourself and you be the judge....

We go from one of my all time favorite lines of "Did a snake bite your wiener?" To this....

No wonder people who have only seen the dub think of Goku as a radically different character than how he was originally depicted. This is episode 1 and it only gets worse the further down the rabbit hole you go.

What other moments stand out to you that were changed from Dragon Ball's original script to the English dub?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I actually watched the English dub only. Now I am a bit scared to find out what the differences are... lol

I mean I don't think he has changed.

India Actual

Super Saiyan God
I actually watched the English dub only. Now I am a bit scared to find out what the differences are... lol

I mean I don't think he has changed.
The dub tends to portray Goku like a comical Superman who has very little faults. The sub portrays him as quite selfish at times, crass behavior, and he even swears.

• Informative
Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
The dub tends to portray Goku like a comical Superman who has very little faults. The sub portrays him as quite selfish at times, crass behavior, and he even swears.
Potty mouth Goku? This sounds like I need to rewatch. :haha:

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 4
The dub isn't as radically different in English for Dragon Ball as it is in the Dragon Ball Z dub. With that said, I can still watch the DBZ dub as long as Bruce Falconer doesn't orchestrate the soundtrack.

India Actual

Super Saiyan God
Potty mouth Goku? This sounds like I need to rewatch. :haha:
I have to really pay attention to Dragon Ball, but I think he let's something slip at least once. One that stands out for me was when he blasts Freeza after he betrays him with that last bit of energy. He says Bakayarou which as I understand it is implied to mean someone is being very idiotic and you're calling them out on it. So, think about how you would snap at someone with a swear word and it generally fits. "You dumb bastard or you dumb ass!" would be the closest thing in modern American English.

Reactions: Beerus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)