Goku should have been killed and Dragonball should have continued without him.

X-David

Saiyan Warrior
Dragon ball Z should have continued without Goku but with Vegeta, Trunks, and Gohan of course. Among others. But without Goku. I feel Goku is foolish. Makes Dragonball ridiculous. Akiro should redo Dragonball the way he first wanted with Son Gohan continuing after Son Goku's death. That would have made so much more sense.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Goku is the money maker of the series though. While he is not my favorite character he plays a role in moving stories along and keeps people interested in the story. Had they gone with Gohan and Gohan went the same path (which seemed logical for his character considering Goku had died) people would have lost interest.

• Agree
Reactions: Yoshi

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
I mean, Akira originally had the idea of making Gohan taking Goku's spot as the main character and if he did The Great Embarrassment to Bardock's Legacy aka The Great Saiyanman would have never happened. He decided against it because he wasn't willing to take the risk of having Goku died for real and giving the mantle to Gohan as he was afraid of fan backlash because let's face it fans of anything are stupid and hate change. So yeah, blame the fans if anything

• Funny
Reactions: X-David and Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
So yeah, blame the fans if anything
dfdsgs.png

But yeah, this likely would have happened. Too many people are Goku fanboys/fangirls.

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
View attachment 1792

But yeah, this likely would have happened. Too many people are Goku fanboys/fangirls.
And I get why because he was the character that introduced you into Dragon Ball and all, but I mean come on. This reminds me of when people got pissed at the fact their shipping of Katara and Zuko didn't end up as couple, or Naruto and Sakura didn't end up as a couple. There is a video on YouTube somewhere that explains how fans, in a way, ruin a series/franchise.

X-David

Saiyan Warrior
And I get why because he was the character that introduced you into Dragon Ball and all, but I mean come on. This reminds me of when people got pissed at the fact their shipping of Katara and Zuko didn't end up as couple, or Naruto and Sakura didn't end up as a couple. There is a video on YouTube somewhere that explains how fans, in a way, ruin a series/franchise.
I never watched Naruto but I read that the fans liked Goku and thanks to an outcry of protest from the fans it seems Akiro gave in to peer pressure and changed the direction in which Dragonball was going. The way he wanted. Without any outside influences.

Last edited:
Reactions: Punkhead

X-David

Saiyan Warrior
I was hoping that I would see Son Gohan much better when he appeared as the Great Saiyanman alongside Videl. But then the show didn't focus on him but rather it focused on Goten and other things. It shifted completely to Babidii and Majin Buu. But anyway. What can I do? It's already been done.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I was hoping that I would see Son Gohan much better when he appeared as the Great Saiyanman alongside Videl. But then the show didn't focus on him but rather it focused on Goten and other things. It shifted completely to Babidii and Majin Buu. But anyway. What can I do? It's already been done.
Just gotta hope things improve for him. DBS is basically the Goku and Vegeta show but they can still give Gohan powerful moments in the story.

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
Just gotta hope things improve for him. DBS is basically the Goku and Vegeta show but they can still give Gohan powerful moments in the story.
If Gohan does get those moments it will either be as a throw away or a set up for Goku

X-David

Saiyan Warrior
And may I add thinking about it now there seems to be quite a mess. Between Goku and Goten and the Cell vs Gohan fights. And then Gohan appears only to be ridiculous and used senselessly. It's well visible there was a difference in opinions when it came down to the development of the characters. It's like it was a different person writing Dragonball and the same person that started it. It's very clear this.

X-David

Saiyan Warrior
And may I add thinking about it now there seems to be quite a mess. Between Goku and Goten and the Cell vs Gohan fights. And then Gohan appears only to be ridiculous and used senselessly. It's well visible there was a difference in opinions when it came down to the development of the characters. It's like it was a different person writing Dragonball and the same person that started it. It's very clear this.
I am referring to the end of the Cell Saga and the start of the Majin Buu Saga until the end of it all throughout.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I am referring to the end of the Cell Saga and the start of the Majin Buu Saga until the end of it all throughout.
Akira's involvement swayed a lot between the Cell Saga and the Majin Buu one which is why you can see the differences. Then with GT where his involvement was next to nothing, it showed.

Reactions: X-David

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior

People got mad about Naruto and Sakura? News to me, I don't think I ever even encountered a Naruto fan who even liked Sakura, lol. I remember Kishimoto even saying that he didn't bother to put Sakura's parents in the manga because he was aware how many people didn't like her.

I was familiar with most of those to begin with, but I'm definitely glad for all his editors changes. Trying to imagine the Android saga where the big bads are legitimately 19 & 20 then we just move on to Buu is scary thought experiment. I didn't hear about them letting him make Gohan the main character, but it's nice to hear there was no real pushback from them.

Which does lead us to the topic of Gohan losing his main character status due to fan outcry. It's definitely a plausible, all Toriyama ever said on the matter as far as I know is that he realized Gohan was not suited for the role of main character. So it could've been something he thought instead of a reaction to fan outcry but even if it is the latter, I'm hesitant to place the blame solely on fanboys. Like, if you look at the popularity polls, Gohan was the most popular character near the end of the Cell Games. There may have been a straight rejection moreso just because Goku was out of the story, but Gohan goes Great Saiyaman three weeks into his tenure of main character, the rejection might've just been because fans didn't like the goofy direction he took Gohan in. I know a lot would complain on principle alone, but Toriyama's handling of Gohan had to exacerbate it, especially considering Gohan was more popular than Goku.

I've long since accepted how the Buu Saga turned out, and I love how that arc finishes up so I wouldn't really want to alter that but Gohan definitely should've been treated better throughout the story. He doesn't really do much in the Buu Saga. He shows up, gets one bad-ass line, beats up Buu for like one chapter, then Buu powers up through absorption and beats up Gohan, then Gohan is used to make Buu stronger. That's all he does, which is disappointing both considering how great his story arc is from Raditz to Cell, and how much they built up Mystic Gohan in the arc itself. Goku could've and should still serve a prominent role in the Buu arc, but that didn't have to come at the expense of Gohan and unfortunately it did.

Reactions: Punkhead

Hitman

Saiyan Grunt
Toriyama said that while Gohan is a hero of the story, the problem he felt with Gohan was that Gohan's character is one that reacts to situations, while Goku's character is one that initiates and drives situations, plots and storylines. He didn't feel that if he remained true to the Gohan character that we all knew that he could build storylines the same way he did with the much more adventurous Goku...Gohan fights because he needs to fight, Goku fights because he wants to, all this is to a certain degree but the elements are there. Also Toriyama felt a lot of Gohan's life would be boring with the studying, he was much more a character that was grounded rather than his father. Goku was just the ideal protagonist to keep it going, even if it reached a point where Gohan looked to be taking that mantle piece.

Reactions: Beerus and Yoshi

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I don't think half breed Saiyans are true warriors like Goku and Vegeta now that I stop and think about it. Gohan gave up training without a father figure and after becoming Mystic, I personally believe he couldn't get any stronger because all his potential was unlocked, so he found a profession instead. Goten and Trunks train during the End Of Z because Goku and Vegeta insist on them doing so, otherwise they would be just like Gohan, except maybe not bookworms... LOL.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: