Dragon Ball Super Had anyone else been hoping for Goku's defeat during Super?

Majin

Saiyan Grunt
All the villains and side- characters are canon fodder for Goku and sometimes Vegeta, I know that the outcome will 100% be Goku winning so it lacks a huge amount of tension. Goku was turned into a dumbass in Super so not only was he extremely unlikable, but his over- confidence and indifferent feelings to every other character on the show is what ticks me off the most, I just hoped that someone would eventually humble Goku.

Carnotaurus

Roar!
Super Saiyan
To be honest, maybe. A longass show such as Dragon Ball can never turn out good if one, maximum two characters monopolize it. OK, at the end of the day Goku is still the winner, but at least don't nerf the side characters. Not everyone is a fan of Goku, or even his sidekick Vegeta (who's been nerfed as well). There are other characters that some of us grew to love, and for good reason. Be it their personality, strength or development. Give us some excitement and joy as well, make them worth, have them catch up a bit with the MCs, play some important roles during arcs, have exciting power ups as well.

What they've done to Goku is unjust as well. Imagine rooting for him since the beginning of the show, for the little, adorable and justice-loving fellow he was, and then see how he turns out in Super. Such a big disappointment and flanderization of the iconic childhood hero.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I think Goku being Goku just gives people more of a reason to like other characters. I mean in Dragon Ball he was great but he was a kid. DBZ, I quickly started liking Vegeta and Piccolo way more. In Super... Well, Goku is just a token to move the plot to me.

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
I think Goku being Goku just gives people more of a reason to like other characters. I mean in Dragon Ball he was great but he was a kid. DBZ, I quickly started liking Vegeta and Piccolo way more. In Super... Well, Goku is just a token to move the plot to me.
The post pretty much breaks the code on how to make a Shonen Anime/Manga

To answer, yes I was hoping that they would drop Goku and let someone take the reigns, but like what Beerus said because of Goku being Goku, it made the characters look better and likeable.

Reactions: Beerus

Gattsu

Saiyan Grunt
Goku will always be the poster boy cause way too many people love him for whatever reason. They’re not going to chance their ratings on letting someone else take over.

Although the manga is doing Vegeta some justice so maybe there’s hope later on but, ye. Super was always going to be the Goku show.

GogetaBlue

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan
yeah, i would like to see Goku deafeted and the Vegeta take over or something and they did this in the Moro arc

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
To be honest, this is a complaint that doesn't really register with me. Like I agree that the Dragon Ball series isn't really good at using supporting cast and it's too Goku focused but the whole thing about Goku always winning doesn't really ring true because Frieza on Namek was really the last big bad Goku actually beat on his own. Cell was beaten by Gohan. Buu was a team effort with Hercules/Mr. Satan being the most important part. Beerus beats Goku cleanly. It was cheap, but Sorbet beats Goku with a laser gun, Goku was only able to defeat Frieza because Whis literally rewinds time for him to blindside Frieza the same way Sorbet did to him. Again cheating but he did lose to Frost. Goku forfeits against Hit (granted, in the manga there's little doubt in my mind Goku would've lost but the anime presents them as evenly matched). Vegito was needed against Zamasu, and that doesn't even work, Future Trunks gets the "final blow" in both versions then Zeno solves the problem for them. He gets Ultra Instinct and still loses to Jiren, only beating him due to the tournament circumstances with Frieza's help. 17 wins the Tournament of Power for them (moreso in the manga than the anime). The Moro arc is on-going, and will admittedly be the most disappointed I'll be at Goku winning if he does indeed do this but it's already at the point where Moro has been nerfed thanks to somebody else, so it wouldn't just be Goku.

There's problems with the supporting cast sure but the villains are definitely not just cannon fodder, and like I said, Goku really hasn't been able to take down any major antagonist on his own since Frieza the first time.

Last edited:

Its Over

Saiyan Grunt
Goku lost to all main antagonists tbf.

He lost to Beerus. Beerus spared him.
He lost to Frieza. Maybe with cheapshot but still.
He lost to Frost. Another cheapshot.
He lost again to Hit.
Next arc he lost to Black. Even after he fused with Vegeta into Vegetto he can't finish off Zamasu. In the end Zamasu won and Goku had to call Zeno.
Then he lost again to Jiren and had to team up with Vegeta, Frieza, Android 17.

In DBS Goku had never beaten any main antagonist 1 on 1.

Mute

Saiyan Grunt
I agree that it feels like Goku loses to all main antagonists but the problem, to me, is that at this point it feels like even if he loses, it doesn't actually matter. Goku will, somehow, be alive and stronger than before ~ and even if it's not in that arc, he will eventually be stronger than whoever he fought.

And it's not that I want Goku to be weaker. I just want there to be stakes on the table again. Being majorly defeated in Super would make really good content and it could help drive the character development that I feel is missing.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: