Movies How would Goku from the movies fare against villains from the manga?

G.G.

Saiyan Grunt
I was watching a video about how Goku from the movies is a lot more ridiculous than Goku from the manga. The manga is a lot more consistent than the movies due to how surprisingly grounded the series is in martial arts despite the focus battle power later in in the series. Despite this however I wonder about how would movie Goku fare against the likes the Saiyans,Freeza,Perfect Cell and Buu? How would he fare against the various villains in the manga?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I think he may be more ridiculous in the anime as well but because these are movies, he is a lot more... Ehh, I don't even know the word for it. He is just more Goku.

This is an interesting question though. I have not read the manga yet but I would imagine it would be harder for him in general.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
The way I took it as is Goku being more of an airhead and playing games while in battle. "I'm not going to use my full strength and risk everyone around me dying because I can" kind of stuff.

Reactions: LividJay

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
The way I took it as is Goku being more of an airhead and playing games while in battle. "I'm not going to use my full strength and risk everyone around me dying because I can" kind of stuff.
I just got to a part in the manga (Dragon Ball) where Goku is fighting Tien and talks about holding back his "battle power". So I guess that kind of thing still happens but doesn't seem as drawn out or ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I just got to a part in the manga (Dragon Ball) where Goku is fighting Tien and talks about holding back his "battle power". So I guess that kind of thing still happens but doesn't seem as drawn out or ridiculous.
I think the Dragon Ball anime was fine with this. It got overly done come Z. I don't know about the manga though. I really need to start on this already (getting and reading the manga). I keep putting it off lol

• Agree

scoutterSSJ

Saiyan Grunt
Well the main difference between manga Goku and movies Goku is that movies Goku constantly had asspulls that helped him defeat his enemies (the metal cooler movie is one of the biggest WTF I've ever seen).
Manga Goku was of course weaker because he had no bullshit power-ups (even in the fight against Freezer in Namek there are filler scenes that completely buff Goku much beyond what he could possibly do in the manga).

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
They need to build tension and add to the drama of the narrative. If Goku went all-out to his highest power from the get-go, the movie would be maybe episode length.
It wouldn't be as interesting. It works in the manga because you don't want to stare at pages and pages of Goku powering up.:gokufist:

• Agree
Reactions: India Actual

Notaka

Saiyan Grunt
Movie Goku(and by extension, Anime Goku) is way, way stronger than the one in the manga. He has feats that outclasses any character from the manga bar Super. For example You had Movie 12 Goku being superior to both Ultimate Gohan and Gotenks.

But saying Movie Goku is too broad, like what movie? Some iteration of Goku in the movie is close to his manga counterpart while the others outclass by far. I'm going to go on a whim and say he'd fare extremely good and he'd win since he has that massive plot armor in the movies.

G.G.

Saiyan Grunt
Movie Goku(and by extension, Anime Goku) is way, way stronger than the one in the manga. He has feats that outclasses any character from the manga bar Super. For example You had Movie 12 Goku being superior to both Ultimate Gohan and Gotenks.

But saying Movie Goku is too broad, like what movie? Some iteration of Goku in the movie is close to his manga counterpart while the others outclass by far. I'm going to go on a whim and say he'd fare extremely good and he'd win since he has that massive plot armor in the movies.

I was referring to movies that corresponds with each arc in the series like for example how would Goku from Cooler's Revenge fare against Final Form Frieza for example.

Notaka

Saiyan Grunt
I was referring to movies that corresponds with each arc in the series like for example how would Goku from Cooler's Revenge fare against Final Form Frieza for example.

Then that would mean having to know where each movie would logically make sense to happen in the series. So let's try this then:

Dead Zone: This one is easy, it's Goku before Raditz came to earth. He wouldn't be much different from when Raditz came to Earth, in fact, he might actually be weaker. In any case, alone he's not going to do on his own, and would need Piccolo like in canon.

World's strongest man: This should happen after the saiyan arc, as Goku knows the kaioken. But Piccolo is alive, so I'll assume this is an alternate timeline where Goku managed to arrive before Piccolo died and they manage to kill Nappa, and even Vegeta. Although it's more than likely that Vegeta was spared. Goku here should be as strong as he was against Vegeta, if not stronger due to the zenkai he received. He shouldn't have trouble with Vegeta as long as Vegeta doesn't turn into the great ape.

Tree of might: This one is trickier. All of the Z fighters were alive, and Goku was confirmed to have a powerlevel of thirty thousands(I don't remember if that was his base power or him using Kaioken) by Turles. In any case, if he can handle a good kaioken times ten(Which I doubt he could), he would be able to take on the Ginyu Force, granted that he doesn't let Ginyu change his body. Frieza is out of reach for now. But one thing for sure, he can take out any Namek villain except Frieza and maybe Ginyu.

Lord Slug: Personally, it depends on how strong Slug is compared to Frieza. I like to believe Slug is stronger than any form of Frieza save his last one, so Goku can beat Frieza if he goes for the kill. If he uses FSSJ or Kaioken times one hundred, I can see him easily pulling out a victory. He won't win if Frieza is using all of his power or at least 50%, however.

Cooler's Revenge: This one is fairly easy. Cooler himself stated he could see how Goku beat Frieza and that was with him using Kaioken times twenty. So Goku here could beat Frieza 100% with kaioken, no need for Super Saiyan.

Return of Cooler: Vegeta is a super saiyan, so this means the android arc. Android 19 and 20 would be defeated, but I can't see Goku defeating either 17 or 18 in this movie.

Super Android 13: Once again, this should be android arc Goku before the hyperbolic time chamber. I think he's not even the strongest hero there, it should be Piccolo because I remember him being fused with Kami at this point. Unless Goku is stronger than Piccolo here, he's still not beating 17 or 18. If he is stronger than Piccolo, though, He should be able to beat the two of them. Maybe even 16 or Imperfect Cell after absorbing the humans.

If he absorbs the Genkidama, however, I'd say he could have a crack at even Semi-Perfect Cell, or even beat him.

Broly the legendary super saiyan: Cell Games arc, most people put the arc during the wait of the ten days leading to the Cell games. Thus, Goku should be as strong as how he was against Perfect Cell, so he wouldn't fare any better. If he does get the same power he used to beat Broly with, though, he should be able to beat Perfect Cell handily, and maybe even Super Perfect Cell.

Bojack Unbound: Easy, Still should be Cell Games arc Goku. So he's not winning against Perfect Cell.

Broly Second Coming: Buu Saga Goku. Wins against Fat Buu/Kid Buu if he goes all out but loses against any other form of Buu.

Bio Broly: Should be the same as Goku from movie 10, so, he's still not beating Super Buu or his forms.

Fusion Reborn: Now this is where things get interesting. In this movie, Goku was able to hold his own against Super Janemba, but it was clear that he was outmatched and that Janemba was toying with him. Still, Toei confirmed that Janemba was indeed stronger than Hirudegarn, who beat both Ultimate Gohan and Gotenks with ease. So, It's safe to say that Goku might beat Super Buu, but any other form is too much for him.

Wrath of the dragon: Easiest movie to place alongside Dead Zone, Goku after the buu saga. This Goku should be able to beat Super Buu handily, and perhaps even Buutenks, given he beat Hirudegarn who beat both Gohan and Gotenks, a feat that makes Hirudegarn as impressive if not even more than Super Buu with Gotenks absorbed. The question is whether this Goku can beat Buuhan, and I think he could manage it with a Dragon Fist.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I think it is hard to compare any movie version of Goku to the anime Goku or the manga one. It seems like he is more clear cut on finishing the battle in movies and for the sake of time, that is likely why. Like India mentioned, the movies would end up being very long if they let Goku play his "hehe I'm holding back" stunt that he does all the time.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I think it is hard to compare any movie version of Goku to the anime Goku or the manga one. It seems like he is more clear cut on finishing the battle in movies and for the sake of time, that is likely why. Like India mentioned, the movies would end up being very long if they let Goku play his "hehe I'm holding back" stunt that he does all the time.
They would end up having the movie split up into 4 separate movies, for example, Cooler's Revenge: 1st movie would be Goku getting showing he's stronger than they thought. 2nd movie would be Goku getting his tail kicked in a little. The 3rd movie would be Goku making a slight comeback and then Cooler transforming and beating him down some more. The 4th movie would be Goku making his grand reveal of holding back and lots of Goku screaming and then becoming Super Saiyan and wiping the floor with Cooler - then a slight chance of Cooler making a comeback, and then Goku finishing the job.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Think about it for instance, Toriyama wrote the script for DBS: Broly as a 3.5 hour movie which they cut into 90 odd minutes. We lost almost half the story!

• Informative

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
I did not know this.
I'm interested to see where the next movie is going to pick up. I feel we're going to be getting a theatrical release before any series comes back. We have to take into account that every movie some Battle of Gods is now canon so it's the same version of all the characters. Then we'll see where Goku is going to be at power wise because if it's post the current manga arc, I don't know things might change. I have a funny feeling.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I'm interested to see where the next movie is going to pick up. I feel we're going to be getting a theatrical release before any series comes back. We have to take into account that every movie some Battle of Gods is now canon so it's the same version of all the characters. Then we'll see where Goku is going to be at power wise because if it's post the current manga arc, I don't know things might change. I have a funny feeling.
We're going to end up with 30 power ups for Saiyans. It's a little absurd. They should probably let the series die or let other characters take over.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: