I question Toriyama's involvement with Super

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
I'm not posting this in the Super category because it has a much broader scope than just Super and is more an attack on TOEI.

This hinges a bit on conspiracy theory, but I don't think Toriyama wrote the bulk of Super, and yes I mean the manga.

TOEI writers have a history of recycling their old ideas and I see it almost as much in Super as Idid in GT.

For instance, in GT

-The whole concept of Tuffles getting revenge (Baby) was already done in their older movie: Eradication of the Saiyans.

-The concept of there being consequences to overusing the Dragon Balls (Syn Shenron) was also reused I think. But I don't recall which movie.

-They reused Cooler.

Then you have Super.

-Kale was obviously TOEI trying to canonize Broly. And of course he himself became canon later.

-The concept of an evil Goku counterpart (Goku Black), was done with Turles in their older movie Tree of Might.

To me, Super just reeks of the same TOEI fan-fiction as GT. As if it's just a do-over for TOEI after GT was a trainwreck.

And they took every opportunity they could to make their old ideas canon.

Lately, I've read a lot about Toriyama's writing history. About how he wanted it to end at Frieza and begrudgingly wrote the Cell Arc due to demand and that it was the same thing for the Buu Arc. He's wanted to do this less and less with every arc.

I think he got careless with the Buu Arc and it's why we got things like Gotenks.

Fast forward to Super and I think it went like this:

-Toriyama agrees to a one-off post-Z movie.
-He writes Battle of Gods and it's a hit
-He's pressured to write another movie, but he insists that he doesn't want to.
-TOEI strikes a deal where they do the writing and he just edits & signs off on it to make sure it isn't terrible... like GT.
-TOEI writes Resurrection F and it's kind of a hit too. If you go back and compare the two movies you can tell the difference between TOEI's work in RoF and Toriyama's work in BoG.
-TOEI pressures Toeiyama into starting another series and strike the same deal regarding the writing but with the manga as well. Toriyama is to be credited, since fans would reject it if they knew he truly didn't.

So what we really ended up with was another GT. Albeit TOEI learned a few things and Toriyama's input, even if minimal, made it an improvement to some degree.

I can't prove this is what happened, but I'm rewatching Super with the wife right now and it just seems glaringly obvious to me that it's a product of TOEI moreso than Toriyama.

Giant Saiyan Penis

Saiyan Grunt
You should check out interviews on Kanzenshuu. Akira Toriyama wrote BoG and RoF. He also didn't want to end it with Freeza; that is a myth with no evidence to back it up.

Currently, AT heavily supervises the manga, giving his thoughts and revising things from Toyotaro as he sees necessary. He reads every panel before it's finalized. He's less involved with the anime because he's a mangaka, not an animator or voice actor, but he's still around if they want his opinion or if he sees something egregious. He is more involved than you think.

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
You should check out interviews on Kanzenshuu. Akira Toriyama wrote BoG and RoF. He also didn't want to end it with Freeza; that is a myth with no evidence to back it up.

Currently, AT heavily supervises the manga, giving his thoughts and revising things from Toyotaro as he sees necessary. He reads every panel before it's finalized. He's less involved with the anime because he's a mangaka, not an animator or voice actor, but he's still around if they want his opinion or if he sees something egregious. He is more involved than you think.

Okay, so while some of my premises may be off, my conclusion that this is a product of TOEI that AT merely oversees is actually correct.

Giant Saiyan Penis

Saiyan Grunt
The anime is a byproduct of Toei based on the vague outlines AT gives them, so maybe you're close on that side. The manga is more of a collaboration between AT and Toyotaro based on those same outlines, where Toyotaro does most of the work and AT combs over it.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
The dude is a very rich man and while he's still involved with his most famous property, he just gives notes as needed. He is more involved with the manga but I think he's letting Toyotaro do his own thing more in the Moro arc. Legend has it from multiple sources on the inside of Toei, they haven't moved forward with a new Super anime or whatever it's going to be called when it comes back because Toriyama hasn't given them any drafts for anything. They want to avoid a GT situation and to a lesser extent situation they had in Super where they just go off the freaking rails and people hate it. You have to admit that generally when Toriyama is more involved we get better content, DBS Broly is a good example of this.

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
The dude is a very rich man and while he's still involved with his most famous property, he just gives notes as needed. He is more involved with the manga but I think he's letting Toyotaro do his own thing more in the Moro arc. Legend has it from multiple sources on the inside of Toei, they haven't moved forward with a new Super anime or whatever it's going to be called when it comes back because Toriyama hasn't given them any drafts for anything. They want to avoid a GT situation and to a lesser extent situation they had in Super where they just go off the freaking rails and people hate it. You have to admit that generally when Toriyama is more involved we get better content, DBS Broly is a good example of this.

Don't get me started on Broly lol.

While the new movie is an improvement on the original, it's still pretty bad imo.

scoutterSSJ

Saiyan Grunt
I'm not posting this in the Super category because it has a much broader scope than just Super and is more an attack on TOEI.

This hinges a bit on conspiracy theory, but I don't think Toriyama wrote the bulk of Super, and yes I mean the manga.

TOEI writers have a history of recycling their old ideas and I see it almost as much in Super as Idid in GT.

For instance, in GT

-The whole concept of Tuffles getting revenge (Baby) was already done in their older movie: Eradication of the Saiyans.

-The concept of there being consequences to overusing the Dragon Balls (Syn Shenron) was also reused I think. But I don't recall which movie.

-They reused Cooler.

Then you have Super.

-Kale was obviously TOEI trying to canonize Broly. And of course he himself became canon later.

-The concept of an evil Goku counterpart (Goku Black), was done with Turles in their older movie Tree of Might.

To me, Super just reeks of the same TOEI fan-fiction as GT. As if it's just a do-over for TOEI after GT was a trainwreck.

And they took every opportunity they could to make their old ideas canon.

Lately, I've read a lot about Toriyama's writing history. About how he wanted it to end at Frieza and begrudgingly wrote the Cell Arc due to demand and that it was the same thing for the Buu Arc. He's wanted to do this less and less with every arc.

I think he got careless with the Buu Arc and it's why we got things like Gotenks.

Fast forward to Super and I think it went like this:

-Toriyama agrees to a one-off post-Z movie.
-He writes Battle of Gods and it's a hit
-He's pressured to write another movie, but he insists that he doesn't want to.
-TOEI strikes a deal where they do the writing and he just edits & signs off on it to make sure it isn't terrible... like GT.
-TOEI writes Resurrection F and it's kind of a hit too. If you go back and compare the two movies you can tell the difference between TOEI's work in RoF and Toriyama's work in BoG.
-TOEI pressures Toeiyama into starting another series and strike the same deal regarding the writing but with the manga as well. Toriyama is to be credited, since fans would reject it if they knew he truly didn't.

So what we really ended up with was another GT. Albeit TOEI learned a few things and Toriyama's input, even if minimal, made it an improvement to some degree.

I can't prove this is what happened, but I'm rewatching Super with the wife right now and it just seems glaringly obvious to me that it's a product of TOEI moreso than Toriyama.
In RoF Toriyama only wrote the parts involving Freeza and the main plot points, and left the z-warriors vs Freezer's army to the Toei's writters (the part of the movie that really stinks, has no purpose and breaks the internal coherence of the series).
His involvement in those parts is more than obvious: Toei would have never made the character of Freeza to evolve in the way Toriyama did (and still did again in the Broly movie).
Every single time Toei's writters made Freeza reapear, he was the exact same character and used as a sort of "gag" where he would be arrogant against a SSJ and then insta-killed by him.
Toriyama not only made Freeza train, the whole "plan B" thing in case he lost was Toriyama's seal of quality writting.

Toriyama's involvement with Toei, outside of the movies, seems to be minimal.
One just needs to compare the manga and anime versions of DB:Super (even if the manga quality took a hit in the manga, at least in this last chapter) to see that Toriyama's involvement with the anime is very low, and that the manga is what represents his true vision of DBS.

Regards!

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
While the new movie is an improvement on the original, it's still pretty bad imo.
I thought it was great and really enjoyed seeing more character from Broly. The only off-putting thing for me is that I feel that god-mode Goku or Vegeta should have been able to wipe the floor with Broly...but that wouldn't have been very entertaining.

Reactions: Beerus

scoutterSSJ

Saiyan Grunt
I thought it was great and really enjoyed seeing more character from Broly. The only off-putting thing for me is that I feel that god-mode Goku or Vegeta should have been able to wipe the floor with Broly...but that wouldn't have been very entertaining.
I also felt that base Broly being above SSJGod and below SSJBlue was a bit too much, but I can forgive that.
The scene that it was obvious that Toriyama didn't wrrte and that should truly be cut in a director's cut verion of the movie is the first round between Goku and Broly.
Through Vegeta we already established that Broly was approaching the SSJGod levels of power, and Goku starts fighting at his base state as if Broly had regresed to the state he was when the fight started?
The fight ended in SSJGod Vegeta still not fighting with all his strength against Broly, but Broly getting closer and closer to him. It should have continued with Goku just at the moment he does that immobilising technique on Broly to try to talk to him.
Everything else in the movie, I actually liked it quite a lot.

Regards!

Last edited:

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
This was the msg I sent my friend halfway through watching it lol
Screenshot_2020-04-09-03-01-32.png

Last edited by a moderator:

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Bulma's voice: The only difference I know of is the English dub due to the old voice actress retiring
Vegeta's voice: The only difference I know of is the English dub - not sure what's going on here, but it's been like this throughout Super. Maybe the VA is just getting old and can't do that voice as well
Giving Bulla to Beerus: I think they've softened Beerus due to his relationship with them. This happens in a lot of anime where foe becomes friend.
Animation quality: I thought it was pretty good in the Broly movie...much better than how the Super series started off.
Goku's intelligence: yeah...but again, he's been this way throughout Super. I really, really dislike that.
Frieza's motivation: Definitely not something I would have ever pictured Frieza being self-concious about.

Reactions: Blockinlick
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: