I turned the Future Trunks Saga into a full length movie

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Why not, though? If you came to this site and were presented with a simple layout that highlighted topics and people you were interested in, while still allowing you to discover new content, would that not be ideal? I'm not saying turning it into facebook or twitter, but following a flow that gives people what they want right in their face so they don't have to look for it.

Mostly personal bias and grumpiness. You are, of course, completely correct that it would probably be a sensible approach to follow that format, I just loath the thought of forum sites becoming mini Facebooks, or of one of them rising to become another "must join" network to further centralize things.

For sure. I've been following the folks at XF since they were with vBulletin 3.0. Great developers, but they are still stuck in a very old way of doing things. I just don't think they will ever break out of that mindset.

Yeah, when I first purchased my license it was vB 2.0.3 that was the newest release, and there's still so much of vB's mindset in XF. I loved vB2 and vB3, and I still love XF, but there's no denying it's time for a massive forward step in thinking.

Reactions: Beerus

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Mostly personal bias and grumpiness. You are, of course, completely correct that it would probably be a sensible approach to follow that format, I just loath the thought of forum sites becoming mini Facebooks, or of one of them rising to become another "must join" network to further centralize things.
See? You're part of the problem! :v23:
I get what you're saying. But the technologies that are employed by the Facebooks are literally everywhere in web development, (I know, I'm a web software engineer).
Yeah, when I first purchased my license it was vB 2.0.3 that was the newest release, and there's still so much of vB's mindset in XF. I loved vB2 and vB3, and I still love XF, but there's no denying it's time for a massive forward step in thinking.
For true. They need to let go and move forward. I know they're more than capable...they are some of the best developers I've come across.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
See? You're part of the problem! :v23:
I get what you're saying. But the technologies that are employed by the Facebooks are literally everywhere in web development, (I know, I'm a web software engineer).

Yeah, you're absolutely right (also a web developer and Java programmer ;)), I'm just one of those people who clings to the glory days of forums and wants them to come back. I agree with everything you're saying, it needs to be a sweeping change, I just long for the days of old, as well :D.

For true. They need to let go and move forward. I know they're more than capable...they are some of the best developers I've come across.

That they are, absolutely fantastic developers.

Reactions: LividJay

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Yeah, you're absolutely right (also a web developer and Java programmer ;))
Right on!

I'm just one of those people who clings to the glory days of forums and wants them to come back. I agree with everything you're saying, it needs to be a sweeping change, I just long for the days of old, as well
I do miss the good ole days. Community was the core of forums, not likes and frivolous opinions. I doubt we'll ever see that again.
That they are, absolutely fantastic developers.
Definitely. I've learned quite a bit from them, myself.

Reactions: Super Kami Guru

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
It's such a shame, because when the forum concept started to die off, so did the idea of civil discourse.

We'll get back there one day, all this outrage culture is just a phase of this generation. When it comes to nutting up or shutting up they'll do the later. That or they'll take things too far and some like minded patriots will form a militia and poke a few holes in them. That'll quiet things down.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
We'll get back there one day, all this outrage culture is just a phase of this generation. When it comes to nutting up or shutting up they'll do the later. That or they'll take things too far and some like minded patriots will form a militia and poke a few holes in them. That'll quiet things down.
These types have always been around. Look at George Carlin's earlier comedy. He makes fun of them all the time. They just never had a voice or a platform. They are small in number but because money making click bait on social media was turning easy profit, the media jumped on board and so did the sheeple (people who do anything to fit in). I would estimate that if you had a one on one conversation with these people 70% of them would admit that most of what is being said and done is BS. I think in a few more years, it will be completely phased out of the mainstream.

Reactions: India Actual

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Certainly hope so, because outrage culture has taken things beyond extremes. The slightest off the cuff comment and peoples lives are thrown into the mainstream microscope, warranted or not. Lives are ruined. Yes, some of the things people get called out for deserve every bit of the reaction they get, but some of it is stuff that would in normal discourse be scoffed at and the person turned away from, hopefully having learned their lesson. Now even those people are thrown under the bus and their lives are ruined as a result. It's a disgrace that it keeps happening, and I've pointed out before how wrong social media has been in their chase for vengeance (see: boston marathon bombing "suspects" that were named and shamed and proven not to have had anything to do with it), so it's also quite dangerous when the wheels start turning against someone. Get rid of the outrage culture ASAP, world gets better, internet might also get a little better.

• Agree
Reactions: LividJay and Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Thanks to these people that outrage over everything too, they unearthed the worst trolls on the internet who purposely say the dumbest things just because they want to be edgy and offensive. The internet has become "be offended or become the offender". Anyone in the middle gets throw under a bus by both sides or completely ignored. Having common sense on Twitter, Facebook, etc. has taken a back seat to ignorance and social popularity cliques for clicks.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Thanks to these people that outrage over everything too, they unearthed the worst trolls on the internet who purposely say the dumbest things just because they want to be edgy and offensive. The internet has become "be offended or become the offender". Anyone in the middle gets throw under a bus by both sides or completely ignored. Having common sense on Twitter, Facebook, etc. has taken a back seat to ignorance and social popularity cliques for clicks.

Yep, that or trying to shame companies for the slightest of offenses so they might get free stuff, some sort of settlement or cause enough of a fuss to make a three minute segment on a news show somewhere.

OMG, the airline gave me food that was only mostly hot! @EastNorthAirlines this is a disgrace, you should be ashamed (gimme free stuffs!)

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
Man, I've been reading through this thread, and I just have to say... I'm so glad I finally found a sophisticated group of gentlemen. On the Internet of all places! Everywhere I went online I have come across so many trolls. They were occasionally funny when I was a teenager and in my early twenties, but now that I've matured enough, I know better than to associate with such people, and all of that is behind me.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Man, I've been reading through this thread, and I just have to say... I'm so glad I finally found a sophisticated group of gentlemen. On the Internet of all places! Everywhere I went online I have come across so many trolls. They were occasionally funny when I was a teenager and in my early twenties, but now that I've matured enough, I know better than to associate with such people, and all of that is behind me.

As long as you can stomach me, I’m the least sophisticated and most boorish out of the bunch. I try and am willing to grow but it’s a long hard road out of hell.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan

I have to agree, it is refreshing interacting with a community of people that isn't filled with immaturity and trolls. Light heartedness, sure, but no stupidity and no trolling. We can have discussions and not turn it into "yeah, well you're just an idiot!" "No, you are!" etc. Very nice situation to have.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: