News Joan Roman Changes Name to "Goku"

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
A bit of old news, from last month. I thought it was interesting though.

"Former Manchester City youth winger Joan Roman has changed his name to Goku, the lead character from Japanese manga and anime series Dragon Ball.

The 27-year-old, who currently plays for Polish second division side Miedz Legnica, has already added his new name to his social media profiles and asked people to “respect” his decision, saying the name better reflects his personality and outlook on life.

"I am grateful to Joan for what I have lived, for all the positive things he left me, but now I am Goku,” he wrote on Instagram.
"

Sauce

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Wonder if the name Goku is trademarked or copywritten...:unsure:

It's not unheard of, I suppose, for people to change their names to character names, but he's going to regret that one in a few years, IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Wonder if the name Goku is trademarked or copywritten...:unsure:

It's not unheard of, I suppose, for people to change their names to character names, but he's going to regret that one in a few years, IMO.
It is actually a name in Japan. "The name Goku is a boy's name of Japanese origin meaning "aware of emptiness"."
I think DB just made it very popular. I don't think they can trademark a name like this or any of the other names really because they all are actual words for items in Japanese. Like Gohan being rice.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
It is actually a name in Japan. "The name Goku is a boy's name of Japanese origin meaning "aware of emptiness"."
I think DB just made it very popular. I don't think they can trademark a name like this or any of the other names really because they all are actual words for items in Japanese. Like Gohan being rice.

I feel like I knew that fact at one point, and yet, clearly, it's gone from my brain these days. I did know Gohan was an actual thing, but for some reason Goku being a real name just went right over my head. Ironic that essentially can be construed as the equivalent of an airhead...aware of emptiness...

Still, outside of Japan the name is going to be referenced as just one thing, and that's the DB character, so you have to feel he's going to regret that in a few years, for sure.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I feel like I knew that fact at one point, and yet, clearly, it's gone from my brain these days. I did know Gohan was an actual thing, but for some reason Goku being a real name just went right over my head. Ironic that essentially can be construed as the equivalent of an airhead...aware of emptiness...

Still, outside of Japan the name is going to be referenced as just one thing, and that's the DB character, so you have to feel he's going to regret that in a few years, for sure.

I can understand naming a pet after Goku but not changing a name or even naming a child after him. At least outside of Japan. Just seems weird to me.

• Agree
Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I can understand naming a pet after Goku but not changing a name or even naming a child after him. At least outside of Japan. Just seems weird to me.
It's as bad as those who name their kids after LotR or Star Wars characters...just don't do it! Your kids will hate you when they get older, and their peers will mock them mercilessly. Same here with changing his name, it's going to go badly for him, especially as an athlete putting himself out there in the public eye. Almost as bad as that basketball player who changed his name to world peace or something like that...stupid thing to do even if the message is good.

• Agree

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
It's as bad as those who name their kids after LotR or Star Wars characters...just don't do it! Your kids will hate you when they get older, and their peers will mock them mercilessly. Same here with changing his name, it's going to go badly for him, especially as an athlete putting himself out there in the public eye. Almost as bad as that basketball player who changed his name to world peace or something like that...stupid thing to do even if the message is good.
If you want to use a name like this, make it a middle name. I am fine with that. Like, name your kid "Jeremy Goku Smith" or something. Just no first or last names. Bad idea.

• Agree
Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
If you want to use a name like this, make it a middle name. I am fine with that. Like, name your kid "Jeremy Goku Smith" or something. Just no first or last names. Bad idea.
Agreed, completely! Could you imagine being stuck with a name like Vader, Aragorn, Legolas, Arwen, Eowyn, or something to that effect? Horrible thing to inflict on a child!

• Agree

Kid Goku

Enjoy the new Chapter 3 of Videospiel-Man!
Super Saiyan 4

I mean its also used for other Japanese Son wukongs! For example there is another Goku in smash as a spirit!

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: