Video Games Metroid Discussion

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
Discussion thread for Metroid.

Super Metroid is incredible, and the Metroid Prime Trilogy is a good transition to 3D as well. However, I've come to the conclusion that the franchise has been on life support since Other M and finally died after Federation Force. So I actually don't foresee Metroid Prime 4 coming on the Switch, unfortunately.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Super Metroid >

No other Metroid game has appealed to me as much as that one. I played it as a kid and still like it.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I agree with you. It's also off putting that Metroid Fusion tried to replicate said appeal of Super Metroid (even though it's still a decent game in its own right).

Reactions: Beerus

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
My most recent play through of Super Metroid was on the SNES Classic. I'm gonna have to go through it again to see if I can 100% it under four hours to get swimsuit Samus. :LOL:

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Wait...Samus is a woman!?

Heh, the sheer shock when people found out. Super Metroid is indeed the best Metroid of them all, though Prime is a fantastic game in its' own right, as well. Hopefully if Prime 4 does see the light of day it will be a good one, because we're long overdue something decent from the franchise.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Yeah, I think Super Metroid was the first time they were so open about her being a woman, in 1 and 2 I'm pretty sure she just flashed off the screen when she died. It was still in the ending, though, so all anyone had to do was get to the end and she was there, for some reason, in a bikini.

• Funny

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Only really played some of the first two Prime games, but I've been thinking about getting into the series proper. Never gave it much of a chance because I assumed Metroidvania's wouldn't be a genre I'm interested in since I typically hate backtracking but I ended up loving Hollow Knight (none of you would've guessed it). Along with Symphony of the Night, Super Metroid should probably be pretty high on my to play list.

Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Only really played some of the first two Prime games, but I've been thinking about getting into the series proper. Never gave it much of a chance because I assumed Metroidvania's wouldn't be a genre I'm interested in since I typically hate backtracking but I ended up loving Hollow Knight (none of you would've guessed it). Along with Symphony of the Night, Super Metroid should probably be pretty high on my to play list.
Glad to hear you're going to give it a chance, it's definitely a worthwhile game :)

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
There's a rumor going around throughout the course of this week about a new Metroid game for the Switch in 2021. What are your thoughts and expectations?

• Informative

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
Now that the Metroid franchise is coming back, I think there needs to be a classic collection for their games at some point, like they did with the Prime Trilogy.

• Agree
Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Considering I'm pretty sure you could download & buy the classic Metroid games on the Virtual Console for the Wii U, to the point where Metroid Zero was topping Wii U sales charts on Wii U after Dread's reveal, I'd actually be pretty annoyed if Nintendo released a classic collection tbh. Like, they could just make them available for like $5-$8 or free with their online thing. & I'm also certain they'd charged $60 for a collection, which certainly wouldn't be worth it unless they add a bunch of extra content to it, but I don't have faith Nintendo would do that.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
All they would really need to do is release the first three games. Metroid, Metroid II: Return Of Samus, and Super Metroid.

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Never gave it much of a chance because I assumed Metroidvania's wouldn't be a genre I'm interested in since I typically hate backtracking but I ended up loving Hollow Knight (none of you would've guessed it). Along with Symphony of the Night, Super Metroid should probably be pretty high on my to play list.
I posted this on May 8th, 2021. Apparently being pretty high on my "To play list" means I'll play it in 464 days.

But yes, I've finally played & beaten Super Metroid, this is only the second 2D Metroid I've played. The other one being Metroid Dread, and to be totally honest, I'm not 100% sure which one I prefer, they're both fantastic games. I think Dread's level design can be a little more, "Where do I go?" than Super Metroid. There were a couple points in Dread where I had to look up how to progress. Not a whole lot, but enough times to make me feel like an idiot. Whereas in Super Metroid, there was only one time I had to look up how to progress, and I actually knew where to go, I just didn't see the grapple beam tiles and assumed I couldn't go that way. I'm not an idiot, I'm just blind.

Also love the pacing of Super Metroid with doling out upgrades, you get them frequently enough that you never go too long without that dopamine hit, but not so frequently that you still feel like you earn them. Also the game doesn't have EMMI sections, which had their moments in Dread but largely felt annoying to me. Dread's movement options and incredible boss fights are enough to counter all that. Either way, I totally get the Metroid hype.

Final thoughts, I also played and 200.6% Symphony of the Night since then, so my assumption that I wouldn't like Metroidvania's really made an ass out of you and me.

• Funny
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000: