Post your desktop

Jay

XOF
Admin
For those of us stilling using a desktop, that is.

jay-fedora.png

:ta-da:

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Don't have any pics of my PoP_OS desktop atm (laptop hardware failure, whoo!), but here's my (it's dual 1920x1080, rather than extended) Win10 (backgrounds rotate through several dozen gaming, anime, movie and music backgrounds, and I'm a bit OCD, so I HATE icons on my desktop :D ):

desktop2262020.png

Reactions: India Actual

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Would like to see. I tinkered with Pop briefly a while back.
I'll try and get the laptop working again so I can take some screenshots. It's a great OS, actually. As someone who loved #!(Crunchbang) back when it was still going, it's the most comfortable I've been with a distro in a good while.

Jay

XOF
Admin
I'll try and get the laptop working again so I can take some screenshots. It's a great OS, actually. As someone who loved #!(Crunchbang) back when it was still going, it's the most comfortable I've been with a distro in a good while.

I've always loved the UI of Gnome, but I just can't get along with the layout and workflow. It's definitely geared towards touchscreen users primarily.
I also used #! back in the day, had a nice minimal Fluxbox setup. It lives on via BunsenLabs btw.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I've always loved the UI of Gnome, but I just can't get along with the layout and workflow. It's definitely geared towards touchscreen users primarily.
I also used #! back in the day, had a nice minimal Fluxbox setup. It lives on via BunsenLabs btw.
I agree with you on that one with Gnome, it does feel more touchscreen-oriented, but I've gotten to love PoP_OS quite a bit, though in fairness, I have also been eyeing up other distros like Elementary, Deepin 20 and MX Linux has my eye a little bit, too. So who knows, I may keep distro-hopping for a little bit, but I do really like what System 76 are doing with PoP (and w/ Snap installed it's even better, because as much as I like the PoP Shop, Snap is just so much more intuitive).

Minimalism is my absolute favourite when it comes to a Linux distro, and #! seemed to excel in catering for minimalists. I know BunsenLabs still have the spiritual successor to #!, but I started distro hopping after #! went under and just never got around to going back to BunsenLabs/Helium. Might give it a go, because I was a massive fan of #! when it was rolling along. I only hope they haven't strayed too far from what made it such a solid distro.

Jay

XOF
Admin
I agree with you on that one with Gnome, it does feel more touchscreen-oriented, but I've gotten to love PoP_OS quite a bit, though in fairness, I have also been eyeing up other distros like Elementary, Deepin 20 and MX Linux has my eye a little bit, too. So who knows, I may keep distro-hopping for a little bit, but I do really like what System 76 are doing with PoP (and w/ Snap installed it's even better, because as much as I like the PoP Shop, Snap is just so much more intuitive).

Minimalism is my absolute favourite when it comes to a Linux distro, and #! seemed to excel in catering for minimalists. I know BunsenLabs still have the spiritual successor to #!, but I started distro hopping after #! went under and just never got around to going back to BunsenLabs/Helium. Might give it a go, because I was a massive fan of #! when it was rolling along. I only hope they haven't strayed too far from what made it such a solid distro.

Distro hopping is fun, I was doing it for months before settling in with Fedora. I'd highly recommend that btw, paired with Cinnamon DE makes it a system that just works.
Something else to consider is OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.

Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
It's strange, I never really considered Fedora can I can't deny I wouldn't mind trying at least one distro w/ the Cinnamon desktop environment, so maybe I'll add that to the list and give it a go, as well. OpenSUSE I did try a few years back and I wasn't too enthused with it, but maybe I can give it another try, as well. If I'm hopping around anyway, no harm in broadening my horizons a bit!

Appreciate the recommendations! I'm liking distro hopping, because of course you get the broad spectrum of distros, environments and so on, but wouldn't mind finding one to stick with for the long run one of these days. I'm turning my current desktop into a NAS soon, so once I get my new desktop built I'm hoping to drop Windows fully from the desktop setup and run whatever distro becomes my daily driver...so once the laptop is back up and running again I'll be doing a good bit of distro hopping to hopefully find that daily driver.

Jay

XOF
Admin
It's strange, I never really considered Fedora can I can't deny I wouldn't mind trying at least one distro w/ the Cinnamon desktop environment, so maybe I'll add that to the list and give it a go, as well. OpenSUSE I did try a few years back and I wasn't too enthused with it, but maybe I can give it another try, as well. If I'm hopping around anyway, no harm in broadening my horizons a bit!

Appreciate the recommendations! I'm liking distro hopping, because of course you get the broad spectrum of distros, environments and so on, but wouldn't mind finding one to stick with for the long run one of these days. I'm turning my current desktop into a NAS soon, so once I get my new desktop built I'm hoping to drop Windows fully from the desktop setup and run whatever distro becomes my daily driver...so once the laptop is back up and running again I'll be doing a good bit of distro hopping to hopefully find that daily driver.

That's the beauty of Linux, there's something for everyone. Fedora makes sense for me as I've been using CentOS servers for a decade.
It depends on your hardware as well. For lower-end, MX seems to be top dog right now. If hardware horsepower is no issue, test them all. What's interesting is that the desktop environments have shifted a lot. KDE, once the heaviest and most ram-hungry is now lighter than XFCE even with all those awesome features.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
You should get one of your artists to do a custom wallpaper for you with your characters.
I'm going to have Ciel do something with Korian, Shihori, and Kuroba all together in base form. I think it would cool to show him with his two kids together.

Reactions: Beerus
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: