Rate The Arcs...

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I've decided to create a rate the arcs/sagas game thread. I'll average out the scores for all of the arcs once the rounds of them are finished. I will only include Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z Arcs, so no GT or Super Arcs here. If one of you wants to make threads for that purpose, go ahead.

Pilaf Arc - 6.5 / 10

Nothing inherently wrong with this arc, but it's also nothing special. However, even if it's just an average arc, I see potential for it as a popular, long running story that it ends up being. I also think at this point of the story it's not so much a battle shonen more than it is a gag manga.

I like the gang Goku, Bulma, and Oolong all have and how they end up teaming up with Yamcha and Puar near the end for a common cause. This is back when Pilaf was a credible threat, and not just some Team Rocket esque goons, which is cool to see as well.

Some minor things I like about this too is that Chi Chi was actually a likable character here, and Roshi was actually introduced as a very powerful character at this point of the story and not just a wise and respectable character.

21st Budokai Arc - 7 / 10

This is slightly better than the Pilaf Arc. Roshi really shows he's more than a perverted old man here. He really cares about his disciples and goes the extra mile by participating in the Tenkaichi Budokai.

Kid Krillin is a really funny character and a great character to be introduced as Goku's best friend, especially since they're almost the same age. I like how he shares Roshi's perverted tendencies to an extent too, even though he grows out of them as he gets older.

Red Ribbon Army Arc - 6 / 10

This is the worst Part I Arc, and is also one of the weaker Arcs, but I at least like some of it as opposed to most of the Boo Arc.

I like the first part of it with Muscle Tower, I dislike the part with General Blue, I like the Tao Pai Pai part the best, I hate the Commander Red and Staff Officer Black part, and I like the Fortune Teller Baba ending. Also, it drags on too long as a story arc.

22nd Budokai Arc - 7.5 / 10

Tenshinhan is actually a solid character here and I would consider him Goku's rival in Part I. His actual fight with Goku was one of the best in Part I too.

Speaking of the fights, the fights are better here than the last Budokai Arc, and there is also more tension in them. My only complaint about this Arc is Chaozu, and he never really develops after this Arc either.

Piccolo Daimao - 8 / 10

Definitely the best Part I Arc. Piccolo Daimao is the most sinister villain in the story thus far, and a lot more evil than Piccolo Junior.

The start of this Saga is very dark. Krillin dying in battle against Tambourine was very depressing. Goku becomes bloodlusted after this, and rightfully so.

Yajirobe is a really cool supporting character even though he's also a comic relief character. I thought it was awesome to see just how strong he was when he killed Cymbal too.

Goku killing Piccolo Daimao was probably one of the most powerful moments in the series as well.

23rd Budokai Arc - 7.5 / 10

This is where things get crazy when it comes to power scaling in Part I, and Piccolo Daimao was already a very powerful villain.

The fights here are the best out of any Budokai Arc. It's very interesting to see how dark Piccolo used to be here, as he is quite vindictive toward Goku for killing Piccolo Daimao.

The whole God VS The Devil theme in this Arc is pretty cool too. Especially since Kami didn't consider Daimao that much of a threat, but is scared to death of Piccolo Junior's power. I think this is where Goku officially becomes the savior of Earth, as well.

Saiyan Arc - 8.5 / 10

One of the best Story Arcs in the series. Sometimes I feel it gets underappreciated too, especially compared to Freeza and Cell.

There was a sense of hopelessness in this Arc too, especially after Piccolo dies, because the Earth's Dragon Balls won't work after that happens.

I actually love Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta as villains, and I wish Raditz and Nappa had bigger roles in the story as a whole. Vegeta was a very interesting villain, and only gets better in Freeza.

I love how Vegeta's fight with Goku here is basically an elite saiyan warrior vs a low class saiyan, as well. The Saiyan Arc Vegeta fight is actually my favorite fight in the story.

Freeza Arc - 9 / 10

This is the peak of the story. Dragon Ball doesn't get any more well written or have as many deep themes as it does in the Freeza Arc.

There's actually some good lore regarding Namek here, especially how Guru was the last of the Namekians after the mass extinction of the Namekian race.

I love the three way battle for the Namek Dragon Balls between Gohan & Krillin, Vegeta, and Freeza, Zarbon, & Dodoria, and especially how Gohan, Krillin, and Vegeta form an alliance against the Ginyu Force together.

Vegeta really shows just how battle smart he is here. The way he kills every villain besides Ginyu and Freeza is so bad ass, as well. I think it's at this Arc where he starts to view Goku as a rival too, especially when he considers that Goku might end up becoming a Super Saiyan against the Ginyu Force, and avenging the death of the Saiyan race during Goku's fight against Freeza.

Freeza is also the best villain in the entire story in my personal opinion. He is cold, cruel, and calculating, and a figure of power and hype, as well as fear. He instilled fear even among his most loyal subordinates like Zarbon and Dodoria. It's easy to tell he's even more evil than Vegeta, even if both wanted immortality.

Androids Arc - 7.5 / 10

I consider this its own Arc and the Trunks Saga to be a part of this Arc as well.

I like the timeline plot elements to this Arc, as well as the science fiction elements. It might be one of the darkest Arcs as well, since the Androids from the future actually succeed in killing the Z Fighters.

Future Trunks is a pretty good character, even if his main role is to warn the Z Fighters about their potential dark fate. I like how he has a father's complex toward Vegeta as well, to add more depth to his character.

Some of the villains were a bit underwhelming here, like Mecha Freeza & King Cold, as well as Android #19 and Android #20/Doctor Gero. Android #17 and Android #18 were better than the four previously mentioned, but they still didn't seem intimidating enough, at least as major villains. Android #16 was pretty strong though, and I believe he was evil by the Cell Games since he still wanted to kill Goku.

The Arc also ends off anti-climactically, which is actually nice for a change, since the Z Fighters usually win in the end.

Cell Arc - 8 / 10

This is one of the better Story Arcs for sure. Cell comes from the future like Trunks did and proves to be an even greater threat to Earth than Freeza, Cold, and all of the Androids.

This is the last part of the story where Piccolo is a Z Fighter, and where Krillin, Yamcha, and Tenshinhan are all relevant to the plot. This is also the last part of the story where I take the Super Saiyan transformations seriously, since Kid Goten and Kid Trunks went Super Saiyans without issue, and Super Saiyan 3 was pushing it.

Finally, I like how this is the last part of the story where the Dragon Balls are of relevance, and not just some plot device to save the Earth like in Boo. To elaborate, Piccolo fusing with Kami made the Earth Dragon Balls disappear, Dende has to replace Kami as the Guardian of Earth, and they have to hurry before Cell absorbs too many victims.

Cell is a good villain too even though he's not as good as Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, Piccolo Junior, and Saiyan Arc & Freeza Arc Vegeta. He's very obsessed with becoming perfect and is also ambitious to a fault because of that. He's also very multilayered... I actually like how he has the intelligence of Piccolo, the pride of Vegeta, the competitiveness of Goku, and the evil intent of Freeza and King Cold.

I also really like the ending of this Arc as well. Goku dies against Cell and Gohan becomes the hero of Earth after defeating Cell. Trunks also goes back to the future to tell his mother Bulma the good news, as well as killing Future #17, Future #18, and Future Cell.

Boo Arc - 5 / 10

The worst Arc in the series. What a way to end the story too. Unlike every other Story Arc in Dragon Ball, I have more bad to say about this than good.

Krillin is no longer a fighter, Tenshinhan and Yamcha fade into the background, Gohan and Piccolo became shells of their formers selves, and Trunks and Goten are the worst Z Fighters in the story.

Mystic Gohan, Gotenks, Gogeta (he was at least mentioned in the Manga), and Vegetto are all lazy attempts at fighting Boo, as well. The Kid Boo fight was more climactic than the others, but Goku had to finish the job with a Spirit Bomb in the end, which should have been forgotten at this point of the story like Kaioken.

Unlike all of the other major villains of the story, Boo also has no character depth. Fat Boo is a literal manchild, Super Boo is just a more evil version of Fat Boo, Super Boo Gotenks and Gohan Absorbed is a piss poor man's Perfect Cell, and Kid Boo doesn't even speak or have any lines.

I feel like I could go on about more of the flaws, but I might as well end it here.

Pilaf -
21st Budokai -
Red Ribbon Army -
22nd Budokai -
Piccolo Daimao -
23rd Budokai -
Saiyan -
Freeza -
Androids -
Cell -
Boo -

Last edited:

Banned

Saiyan Grunt
Androids and Cell are the same arc. Toriyama even said he was forced to change the antagonists for the Androids/Cell arc from 19 and 20 to 17 and 18, and then to Cell because of editorial objections. Not to mention the full color volumes divide post-23rd arcs into Saiyan, Freeza, Androids/Cell and Majin Boo arcs.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Androids and Cell are the same arc. Toriyama even said he was forced to change the antagonists for the Androids/Cell arc from 19 and 20 to 17 and 18, and then to Cell because of editorial objections. Not to mention the full color volumes divide post-23rd arcs into Saiyan, Freeza, Androids/Cell and Majin Boo arcs.
Technically, there are four separations. The Android Saga, the Imperfect Cell Saga, the Perfect Cell Saga, and The Cell Games. While they can be considered to be part of the same arc, they are separate sagas. A lot of people separate the two because of the major developmental change Cell makes happen. I am referring to the anime though, not the manga.

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
I like to be more visual

Pilaf --------------------: 3 [][][]
21st Budokai ------: 4 [][][][]
RR Army -------------: 3 [][][]
22nd Budokai -----: 4 [][][][]
Piccolo Daimao --: 5 [][][][][]
23rd Budokai ------: 5 [][][][][]
Saiyan -----------------: 8 [][][][][][][][]
Freeza -----------------: 7 [][][][][][][] (I would rate the Frieza part by itself 9, but I rate the Namek part 5, so 7 overall)
Androids -------------: 6 [][][][][][] (Boring half the time, but also has some of my favorite moments)
Cell ----------------------: 9 [][][][][][][][][] (Almost perfection: Pun intended)
Boo ----------------------: 7 [][][][][][][] (Too many mixed feelings about this arc to rate it any higher)

I do feel like, if you're going to separate Androids & Cell, you should separate Namek & Frieza as well though.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I like to be more visual

Pilaf --------------------: 3 [][][]
21st Budokai ------: 4 [][][][]
RR Army -------------: 3 [][][]
22nd Budokai -----: 4 [][][][]
Piccolo Daimao --: 5 [][][][][]
23rd Budokai ------: 5 [][][][][]
Saiyan -----------------: 8 [][][][][][][][]
Freeza -----------------: 7 [][][][][][][] (I would rate the Frieza part by itself 9, but I rate the Namek part 5, so 7 overall)
Androids -------------: 6 [][][][][][] (Boring half the time, but also has some of my favorite moments)
Cell ----------------------: 9 [][][][][][][][][] (Almost perfection: Pun intended)
Boo ----------------------: 7 [][][][][][][] (Too many mixed feelings about this arc to rate it any higher)

I do feel like, if you're going to separate Androids & Cell, you should separate Namek & Frieza as well though.
So you think that I should ask everyone's opinion on every arc in the opening post and round up the scores?

Androids is to Cell like Saiyan is to Freeza, IMO. The Androids were the main villains in the Androids arc like the Saiyans were in the Saiyan Arc, then they change to Cell and Freeza respectively. It's like Pilaf is to 21st, RR Army is to 22nd, and Piccolo Daimao is to 23rd.

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
I like the idea of averaging the arcs and getting like a consensus on the series here.

Pilaf Arc ~ 6/10

It's fine. Several funny moments but not much meat here, there's a charm to its episodic nature but not much past that.

21st Budokai ~ 7/10

Fun arc, the Jackie Chun fight is awesome. The rest of the fights are all amusing.

Red Ribbon Army ~ 8/10

A real fun adventure with several different segments. The arcs peaks in the middle though with the General Blue section. Blue himself is my favourite villain in the Dragon Ball portion of the series, great antagonist. The bread isn't as good as the meat here, but it's still a tasty burger.

22nd Budokai ~ 8/10

Best Dragon Ball arc and best of the tournaments. The 21st Budokai is mostly comedy bouts with one real serious match (Jackie Chun) while the 23rd Budokai is mostly serious with like one comedy bout (Goku vs. Chi-Chi), the 22nd Budokai hits the perfect balance.

Piccolo ~ 6/10

It's alright. It's essentially the first Z arc in style, being primarily action-orientated against a super powerful serious threat but unlike Z it's focus is still primarily just on Goku.

23rd Budokai ~ 8/10

Pretty great tournament, all the matches stick out and the final fight between Goku and Piccolo is excellent. In the manga at least it definitely feels like a fitting finale to this portion of the series.

Saiyan ~ 8/10

The development of Piccolo through his training and bonding of Gohan is great, and the final fight against Vegeta is amazing. Having finally gone through Dragon Ball earlier this year, one of the things I really appreciated was just how much of a team effort it was to beat Vegeta. In Dragon Ball, if you weren't Goku, you were basically useless. The tournament arcs allowed for the cast to get some moments to shine but ultimately, in the original Dragon Ball Goku took care of everything on his own, so having Gohan, Krillin, and Yajirobe as essential to win really made the fight stand out more. The Raditz and Nappa fights are just okay though.

Frieza ~ 9/10

The beginning of this arc, where it's a three-way battle for the Dragon Balls between Gohan's group, Frieza's group, and Vegeta is far and away my favourite part of Dragon Ball. It's really engaging, and probably the most plot focused part of Dragon Ball. Once the Ginyu Force fight starts, my enjoyment of the arc goes down considerably, though there's still great moments. The Frieza fight is great once Goku gets involved, and overall Vegeta's character arc is the strongest character work in Dragon Ball, so it's all good.

Androids ~ 8/10

I love the sense of mystery to it and the sci-fi elements, it introduces a lot of my favorite characters into the series like Future Trunks, Android 17, Android 18, and also Android 16. When segmented like this though, the arc lacks any sense of closure or resolution, which knocks it down a peg.

Cell ~ 9/10

The long awaited payoff for Gohan's power story thread is fantastic, the climactic finish of the arc, the father-son Kamehameha and Vegeta's involvement, is the most dramatically satisfying conclusion to any Dragon Ball fight. I like the inverse parallel relationships between the two father & son dynamics, Vegeta & Trunks and Goku & Gohan (e.g. Goku fully knowing Gohan's stronger and intending to have him finish Cell off without even telling him compared to Trunks who is knowingly stronger than Vegeta but keeps it a secret to protect Vegeta's pride, only fighting Cell when Vegeta is knocked out), I like the theme of arrogance, and I love Tien's crowning moment of awesome.

Buu ~ 7/10

Could've been the best arc probably. The beginning stretch of the arc is great for the mystery it builds and I love Videl, the stuff with Vegeta is excellent (his sacrifice is perhaps the peak of the whole arc) and I liek Majin Buu's development with Hercules a lot. Thematic Buu might be the strongest in Z, I like how much it is about the positive influence of other people, of those we love. Vegeta's entire character arc revolves around this idea, Majin Vegeta serves to illustrate just how far he's developed, especially with his sacrifice and ultimately being rewarded with life. And Kid Buu is specifically the most dangerous threat, pure chaotic evil because he's the one that lacks any influence from other people. It's also why the arc ends with the Spirit Bomb, and Hercules pivotal role both in his relationship with Buu and position on Earth (it's also telling the gradual strength gained as each person says, like how Vegeta basically only gets the main cast to help but Goku's good deeds pay off with people like Upa raising their hands too).

The problem comes with the actual plot of the arc. The whole Super Buu portion of the arc is kind of terrible. There are some great moments mind you, Candy Vegito is forever one of the greatest things ever but so much of is just one side dominating then getting some kind of power up now that side dominates until the roles are reversed again. And of course, there's always disappointment with how Gohan ended up.

I always found Dragon Ball to be fairly consistent so my scores aren't that varied. Still, fun to contribute.

Androids is to Cell like Saiyan is to Freeza, IMO. The Androids were the main villains in the Androids arc like the Saiyans were in the Saiyan Arc, then they change to Cell and Freeza respectively. It's like Pilaf is to 21st, RR Army is to 22nd, and Piccolo Daimao is to 23rd.

The difference being that all those arcs had a climatic battle before beginning the next arc. The closest the Androids arc had is 17 vs. Piccolo which doesn't even finish because Cell interrupts. There's no real sense of closure to the Androids arc like there is to Saiyans or Pilaf or RR Army or Piccolo. That's why it's closer to Namek to Frieza because they're both distinct story segments but the resolution of one is wrapped into the transition of the next. Unless you consider the climactic battle when the Androids beat up all the Dragon Warriors sans Krillin but that doesn't feel right to me either since they would've just been introduced.

Reactions: Yoshi and Beerus

Banned

Saiyan Grunt
Technically, there are four separations. The Android Saga, the Imperfect Cell Saga, the Perfect Cell Saga, and The Cell Games. While they can be considered to be part of the same arc, they are separate sagas. A lot of people separate the two because of the major developmental change Cell makes happen. I am referring to the anime though, not the manga.
That's Funimation's arbitrary way of dividing the arcs which isn't official in Japan. Dividing the Freeza saga into Namek, Captain Ginyu and Freeza sounds retarded too, but it's the case in the Funimation dub.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
The difference being that all those arcs had a climatic battle before beginning the next arc. The closest the Androids arc had is 17 vs. Piccolo which doesn't even finish because Cell interrupts. There's no real sense of closure to the Androids arc like there is to Saiyans or Pilaf or RR Army or Piccolo. That's why it's closer to Namek to Frieza because they're both distinct story segments but the resolution of one is wrapped into the transition of the next. Unless you consider the climactic battle when the Androids beat up all the Dragon Warriors sans Krillin but that doesn't feel right to me either since they would've just been introduced.
I think there is closure in the Androids Arc, it's just anti-climactic as opposed to climactic. The focus switches to Cell after the Androids Arc as well.

I edited my post to include my scores of all the Arcs. Anyone else besides Mustafar and I want to list their ratings?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
That's Funimation's arbitrary way of dividing the arcs which isn't official in Japan. Dividing the Freeza saga into Namek, Captain Ginyu and Freeza sounds retarded too, but it's the case in the Funimation dub.
Eh, I am fine with it. I don't live in Japan so it don't bother me.

Banned

Saiyan Grunt
I'd rather go by the Japanese convention of dividing the arcs though, since Dragon Ball is a Japanese series. The video game Kakarot that was released early this year also considers all the events on Namek to be one arc, as well as everything from Future Trunks' first appearance to the death of Cell to be one arc.

underage

Elite Saiyan Warrior
For Arcs, Id say my fav would be Cell Saga. I WOULD say TOP for dbs, but Jiren ruins it for me, no lie. Hes just...dry. Just a big piece of meat. Though Toppo is MY mvp. Like hes litterly what Jiren SHOULD have been. Anyways, my fav dbs would have to be the Moro arc in the manga rn. Like Moro is so different! Like his powers give me strong vibes of the genkidama. Im not gonna spoil it, but Im tellin ya, its awesome. At least pick up vol 9-10.

GogetaBlue

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan
the namek, ginyu and freeza are my favorite also in dbs the ToP (in the manga) and moro arcs
i would like to know where you found the thumbnail because thats awesome

Hitman

Saiyan Grunt
I think you can combine the Saiyan, Namek and Frieza Arcs into one Super Saiyan Arc. I don't really see a big pause in the story after the Saiyan Saga, since there are many things incomplete including the fact there are no dragon balls and many of the protagonists are dead, plus the we hear about planet Namek, and the legend of the Super Saiyan. There is one overbearing story that combines all three of those arcs - Goku learning about his saiyan heritege, rejecting it, learning about what happened to his people, to his parents, losing his current friends to the same tyrant, turning super saiyan and avenging his saiyan race all the while accepting who he is and who he was born to be.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I think you can combine the Saiyan, Namek and Frieza Arcs into one Super Saiyan Arc. I don't really see a big pause in the story after the Saiyan Saga, since there are many things incomplete including the fact there are no dragon balls and many of the protagonists are dead, plus the we hear about planet Namek, and the legend of the Super Saiyan. There is one overbearing story that combines all three of those arcs - Goku learning about his saiyan heritege, rejecting it, learning about what happened to his people, to his parents, losing his current friends to the same tyrant, turning super saiyan and avenging his saiyan race all the while accepting who he is and who he was born to be.
They keep it separate on paper and in context because there are things that happen in between the Saiyan and the Frieza/Namek stories.

You can see it in the timeline: https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Timeline

Reactions: Hitman

Kid Goku

VIdeospiel-Man Website IS Out! Enjoy Chapters 1+2!
Super Saiyan 4
I do the same kind of list as lance so:

10.Red Ribbon
9.Pilaf
8.23rd tenkaichi budokai
7.21st tenkaichi budokai
6.22nd tenkaichi Budokai
5.Saiyan
4.Freeza
3.Piccolo
2.Buu
1.Cell

Remember this list is not a point list even the lowest ranked one is still decent!

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I do the same kind of list as lance so:

10.Red Ribbon
9.Pilaf
8.23rd tenkaichi budokai
7.21st tenkaichi budokai
6.22nd tenkaichi Budokai
5.Saiyan
4.Freeza
3.Piccolo
2.Buu
1.Cell

Remember this list is not a point list even the lowest ranked one is still decent!
Your ranking is highest number being the best and number 1 being the worst?

Its Over

Saiyan Grunt
Saiyan saga. 10/10

The tension is very high. Goku had to sacrifice his life to beat Raditz who was the weakest out of the 3 saiyan who came to Earth. Nappa came and killed almost all Z fighters. It was a total mess. It seems like all hope was lost.

Frieza saga. 10/10

Goku and Vegeta team up was a good scene. Frieza was a menacing villain. Goku had to transform into super saiyan who was said to appear only 100 years, the legend to beat Frieza and it took Krillin sacrifice for Goku to activate it. The fight itself was also good. The stake was high. Goku had to beat Frieza before the planet exploded and killed Goku. Frieza was also the villain who killed Goku and Vegeta family. The perfect arc to be the final saga.

Cell saga. 1/10

Trash arc. Super Saiyan which is said to be legend lost to teenage androids. Cell was the only good thing abut the saga.

Buu saga. 3/10

Everyone can become Super Saiyan. It's also the only arc that the main villain can be killed multiple times but it failed because the casts were dumb. For example Goku could have prevented the revival of Buu had he chose not to fight Vegeta. Goku also could have beaten fat Buu in SSJ 3 form but he chose to let new generation to handle Buu. Thn Gotenks spent the majority of their fusion time limit to play around instead of turning into SSJ3 immediately and beat Super Buu. Gohan played around and got absorbed by Super Buu. Goku and Vegeta could have beaten Buu had they fused into Vegetto but their stupid saiyan pride got in the way.

The stake and tension are very low. The only reason why the stake was high was because the casts were dumb and wasted multiple opportunities to finish off Buu.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: