Dragon Ball Z really Akira?

GogetaBlue

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan
I just figured out that DBZ was supposed to be gohans story! “I intended to put Gohan into the leading role,” the creator said. “It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.” -akira. really akira, when goku died by the hands of cell, gohan was supposed to rise up to the main role. but akira couldn't bare to let goku go. now I like goku but I think gohan would've been better as the main role. gohan has so much more power but akira let it all go, thru gohan in the dump. i think he can go way higher then goku and vegeta.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
You can tell at the end of the Cell Saga what was meant to happen. They just changed the direction after that point. Many people believe Goku should have remain dead when Gohan's true potential was unlocked but at the same time, Vegeta would have likely had to remain dead as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Punkhead

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Toriyama never had a grand plan for Gohan. You have to remember that he's a discovery writer and on top of that an epic level procrastinator. He would submit the Dragon Ball chapters on a weekly basis at the last minute. By his own admission, he would spend the first few days of the week goofing off with his kids or playing with model cars. So when someone tells me Toriyama had the foresight back in the Cell saga to know where he wanted Gohan to be in the Buu saga, I got a bridge to sell you.

• Agree
Reactions: LividJay

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Toriyama never had a grand plan for Gohan. You have to remember that he's a discovery writer and on top of that an epic level procrastinator. He would submit the Dragon Ball chapters on a weekly basis at the last minute. By his own admission, he would spend the first few days of the week goofing off with his kids or playing with model cars. So when someone tells me Toriyama had the foresight back in the Cell saga to know where he wanted Gohan to be in the Buu saga, I got a bridge to sell you.
I was under the impression that this was the case, that Gohan was meant to take the lead but he decided against it. Likely just a rumor then?

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
Toriyama is actually one of the hardest working Manga authors out there, speaking of his Manga's serialization. He never missed a deadline in either Dr Slump or Dragon Ball, and he started writing Dragon Ball a week after he finished Dr Slump. This of course excludes holidays. You don't see that kind of dedication from Mangaka these days.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Never said he wasn't hard working. He worked non-stop from 1979-1995 with certain other projects taking place around the 1996-1997 timeframe. So the dude definitely earned his fortune. It's just been said even by his editor Torishima that he liked to operate at his own pace. He NEVER missed a deadline but it's been said he would wait until the last minute to start on the chapter for the week because the guy is a hobbyist. He loves cars, he likes to chill, and he enjoyed spending time with his children when they were younger. The man is an absolute beast to be able to pull off a schedule like that and perhaps the world may never truly know how he did it.

GogetaBlue

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan
I was under the impression that this was the case, that Gohan was meant to take the lead but he decided against it. Likely just a rumor then?
no akira said it in a interview. yeah I see but he could've made gohan better then he is now.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Never said he wasn't hard working. He worked non-stop from 1979-1995 with certain other projects taking place around the 1996-1997 timeframe. So the dude definitely earned his fortune. It's just been said even by his editor Torishima that he liked to operate at his own pace. He NEVER missed a deadline but it's been said he would wait until the last minute to start on the chapter for the week because the guy is a hobbyist. He loves cars, he likes to chill, and he enjoyed spending time with his children when they were younger. The man is an absolute beast to be able to pull off a schedule like that and perhaps the world may never truly know how he did it.
5A0285CF-0DEB-480C-8A59-CF96FEF4649A.jpeg

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
I don't know if the series would have been appropriate with Gohan being the inheritor.

I mean, AT did give Gohan the biggest power boost in the history of the show. By the end of Z, he IS technically the strongest. So AT gave him that.

But as far as being the finale hero, Gohan didn't really earn it. The Mystic Power Up was literally Deus Ex Machina and would have felt like a cheap writing copout.

The entire Dragon Ball franchise felt like an ode to Goku. For his son to sweep in with Deus Ex wouldn't have felt right.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
Gohan being the inheritor would have been fine if the series ended at the Cell Arc, but not the Boo Arc.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I think it would have been great to see teen gohan from Cell arc grow and improve up to Buu arc. Have him get stronger (but not transform higher than SSJ2) and defeat a lot of powerful enemies. Then, in Buu arc, bring Goku back because they really need his help. The main thing here is that the younger Gohan would have more screen time and would be less of a pussy than what he turned out to be in the Buu arc.

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
I mean, Gohan taking over after Cell would have been perfect and it would have stayed perfect if they didn't that whole dumbass Great Sayian Man thing with Gohan. If the Buu arc was pretty much Gohan evolving into the hero like his dad and everything then it would have been way better.

• Agree
Reactions: Yoshi

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
Yeah, rewriting Gohan's character arc in the Boo Arc to stay the hero of Earth would have been perfect.

Reactions: Punkhead

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
Gonna hard disagree bro's lol.

Even if Buu Arc Gohan was rewritten, he's still not finale hero material.

Gohan wasn't really a true fighter and never was passionate about it.
He fought and trained mostly because he needed to.

Gohan may have seen some shit-

-but we didn't watch Goku journey with Bulma, change & grow for an entire series, defeat the RR Army, sacrifice himself to defeat Raditz, train under King Kai, defeat Frieza, defy a deadly virus, sacrifice himself vs Cell to protect Earth etc-

For his son, who isn't even a passionate fighter, to swoop in and take the finale kill.

The whole franchise began with Goku, was always focused on Goku, and it's only right that it ends with Goku.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I think Gohan was pretty serious about it after he trained with Piccolo for awhile and then later when he and Goku were in the hyperbolic time chamber. He isn't a full blooded Saiyan so he isn't going to have that "need" for fighting that Goku has. The only reason Goten appears to be more into fighting than Gohan is because he has a friendship with Trunks and they are always trying to one up each other.

I am fine with the focus being on Goku, the only thing I wish they had done differently was what everyone else seems to complain about as well and that is Gohan's time in the Buu saga. They also softened Videl up way too much which made it even worse as time went on.

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
I think Gohan was pretty serious about it

Serious is not quite the same as passionate though.

what everyone else seems to complain about as well and that is Gohan's time in the Buu saga.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care for how they did Gohan either. Saiyaman was terrible, but I can't get behind the whole "Gohan should have defeated Buu and been the main hero" thing.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Don't get me wrong, I don't care for how they did Gohan either. Saiyaman was terrible, but I can't get behind the whole "Gohan should have defeated Buu and been the main hero" thing.

Had Goku stayed dead and Gohan took the lead, I don't think the Buu saga would have happened. I think it would have been a different story.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: