The biggest flaw in the educational system

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
If you think back to when you were in school, what happened to you when you thought differently? What happened to you when you thought the same?

Children are trained from a young age that they will be rewarded for conformism and punished from nonconformism. They are taught to go the way everyone else goes and they will reap the rewards but if they stray off the path, dare to ask questions, or look at things differently they will not only miss out on said rewards but those who follow will scold them for it as well. This continues in colleges and universities.

We are seeing this in full effect right now in the world. There is a giant social experiment taking place. First, a virus was introduced and people were told to practice social distancing, wearing masks, and staying home based on outdated practices from the 1920s that do very little to hinder a virus' spread. They were told not to gather in numbers larger than 10 under any circumstances. Those who went along with it were praised and those who didn't were condemned. Those who protested their freedoms were mocked and laughed at. Many people turned against their own families and friends over the issue just to be in support of the majority.

Next, we see a man get wrongfully handled and killed because of a police officer not going by the books. The man killed was a black man. This sparked a nationwide protest where people gathered in larger numbers, spoke about the issue, and called for justice. People who were in support of this were rewarded and praised. Those who didn't go along with the protests and spoke out against them because of the virus were labeled as racists and white supremacy supporters, among other things and they received a lot of hate for it.

The virus was a worldwide issue at one point. People all around the world were living in panic. They were singling out their families and friends who didn't listen or obey the rules, some areas had people calling the cops on their fellow citizens for not wearing masks or leaving the house when they shouldn't be. Now we see people in many different countries gathering in HUGE numbers for this protest and completely disregarding the virus or the possible lives they could kill in the process by introducing said virus to those who are high risk.

It is truly fascinating to see how this works on a larger scale. How so many people have been trained to follow the crowd at all costs without asking very many questions at all.

We see massive numbers of people unable to act as individuals and that is a very scary thing in this world. All's it would take is for a government to convince enough people to hand over their rights and they'd do it, neglecting everyone and everything else in the process. We live in a society that praises people for thinking the same and shames them for not. You see this in every class as well, it isn't an issue only lower-class citizens face but middle and upper-class as well. People are living in fear of being "too different" or having ideas or opinions that don't align with a major group.

There are social experiments you can read about online, some are even on YouTube that demonstrates how most people in this world are sheep and it is almost always out of fear. We get trained this in school and most people never really notice it or question it. Nothing has changed in the educational world in decades (at least not in the US) outside of technological advancements. The core of the educational system is still there and still the same. The one that trains children to be obedient to a fault, lacking critical thinking skills or at the very least being too afraid to voice them.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I think the biggest flaw in the education system is being in school after 6th grade. Teenagers just aren't capable of learning to the extent that children are. I think after this Covid nonsense clears up, we need to get rid of High Schools and Middle Schools. Surely there is another way for teenagers to socialize with their peers than school.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I think the biggest flaw in the education system is being in school after 6th grade. Teenagers just aren't capable of learning to the extent that children are. I think after this Covid nonsense clears up, we need to get rid of High Schools and Middle Schools. Surely there is another way for teenagers to socialize with their peers than school.
I don't think it is an issue of age so much as it is an issue of how things are being taught. A child can't do anything until the age of 16 when they are legally able to work and drive. There is a 3-year gap between 6th-grade finishing and that.

Maybe if kids were to be taught more advanced things at younger ages in school, they can be done at 13 and they have the option to take 3 more years of advanced learning or have a 3-year break before starting college at 16 or going right into work. That could work but that would involve a lot of change and a lot of students would fall behind because of such a change.

The schools in the US are already behind other countries in terms of education and what they are learning at what age, that and the bar continues to be lowered for kids who struggle. It is a mess.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
I think too much emphasis is placed on core classes for an extended period of time. I feel high school should be prep for college or initial placement in trades if you want to go that route. It's a shame not enough kids view trade school as a viable option. All it takes is a willingness to put in the time and effort to learn. I think some kids would :poop: if they knew they could make 6 figures and not accrue the same debt as a traditional degree.

Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I think too much emphasis is placed on core classes for an extended period of time. I feel high school should be prep for college or initial placement in trades if you want to go that route. It's a shame not enough kids view trade school as a viable option. All it takes is a willingness to put in the time and effort to learn. I think some kids would :poop: if they knew they could make 6 figures and not accrue the same debt as a traditional degree.

Or you can luck out and be trained to do something by someone willing to do it. I was trained as a veterinary technician but never went to school for it. Those cases are rare though. But you are spot on with earning 6 figures without the debt. My brother graduated from Ohio State like nearly 10 years ago and is still paying off his debts.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
I'm fortunate because I was a lazy student and had no college aspirations so I joined the military. Little did I know a few months later the world would change forever due to 9/11. Yet, I learned mechanical skills which come in handy every once in while. That pathway to government service gave me a foothold which I exploited to rise into my current career. No college debt whatsoever.

Reactions: Beerus
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: