Dragon Ball Super The Cheapening of the Potaru Earring's High Price

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
One thing that bothered me in DBS is how they basically changed the rules of how Potaru works. As you may remember from DBZ, Goku and Vegeta were given the Potaru Earrings during the Buu saga to form Vegito. It was a last ditch effort to stop Buu as the fused Gotenks, Goku's Super Saiyan 3, and "Mystic" Gohan had all failed. The price: Goku and Vegeta would be fused forever. That was a high price for the two Saiyan rivals to pay. Miraculously, after being absorbed into Super Buu, they eventually split apart into their two normal forms. This was explained as basically being digested by Buu's weird stomach. That explanation didn't really sit well with me, but I was happy to have them back to normal.

In DBS, they were once again challenged to do fuse via Potaru, (I'm not entirely sure why they just didn't do the fusion dance to bring in Gogeta...perhaps it wouldn't have been enough time). Anyway, Goku asks Gowasa why the fusion is permanent and he explained that it's only permanent to Supreme Kais and that for everyone else it only lasts an hour. So, this really cheapens the high price one must pay to use the Potaru to gain enourmous power. Now it's just a temporary fusion that can be done at anytime. I think that sucks.

What do you all think?

Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Yeah I didn't like that they changed it either. Like the Fusion Dance put a timer on you which was fine but to have the Potara earrings do the same exact thing is stupid. The Buu thing... I would have written that off a bit better. Like maybe establishing that Buu's demonic energy destroys the power of them of something. They kind of wrote themselves into a pickle with that one.

• Agree
Reactions: LividJay

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
I concur with both of your assessments on the matter. It makes no sense to me now that in canon we have two forms of fusion that essentially perform the same task with different time limits. Not that we've ever seen a Saiyan Potara fusion last an entire hour anyway. Their new explanation that both Vegito and Gogeta are equally powered forms does little to explain their line of thinking on the matter. They tried to break it down a bit more by saying Metamoran fusion (fusion dance) is more powerful from the outset and thus good for a battle that you need to finish quickly. On the other hand, Potara fusion they state is more stable, you essentially can't screw it up, and it's better for a more drawn out fight. Yet, like I said no one in either manga or anime has ever been able to fully take advantage of this supposed net gain to using Potara over Metamoran fusion. Latest and greatest being SSJ4 Vegito whose fusion lasted maybe 5 minutes and I'm ball parking that to in universe time. This needs fixing, get to work writers or you're fired!

• Agree
Reactions: LividJay

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Yeah I didn't like that they changed it either. Like the Fusion Dance put a timer on you which was fine but to have the Potara earrings do the same exact thing is stupid. The Buu thing... I would have written that off a bit better. Like maybe establishing that Buu's demonic energy destroys the power of them of something. They kind of wrote themselves into a pickle with that one.
Agreed. It was pretty lame. And the way they animated Vegito getting absorbed made it seem like he wasn't expecting it, but then later on they explain that it was part of the plan to rescue the others. Then, they get inside and wam....back to normal. A little more thought could have been put into that.

They tried to break it down a bit more by saying Metamoran fusion (fusion dance) is more powerful from the outset and thus good for a battle that you need to finish quickly. On the other hand, Potara fusion they state is more stable, you essentially can't screw it up, and it's better for a more drawn out fight.
This reminds me also of when the Supreme Kai said it would be dangerous for Goku and Vegeta to wear the Potaru's when powered up to Super Saiyan form, because it would be forever, yet, Goku told Goten and Trunks to do so before fusing. Dragon Ball has never really been good with continuity, but this is just one of the things that really glares out at me. What's the point of having the Metamoran fusion vs the Potaru if they're basically equal now? Plus, without the high price of permanent fusion, it's much easier to put on an earring then to learn the dance they're all so embarrassed to do.

Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Agreed. It was pretty lame. And the way they animated Vegito getting absorbed made it seem like he wasn't expecting it, but then later on they explain that it was part of the plan to rescue the others. Then, they get inside and wam....back to normal. A little more thought could have been put into that.
As much as I did enjoy the saga, parts like that felt like they were either rushed or had no direction and what could have been huge moments turned into head scratchers. I guess for a younger audience this was fine but not for older fans.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: