News Vic Mignogna (@vicmignogna) Civil Case Against Funimation Dismissed

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
If you don't remember what happened here, the voice actress who plays Bulma in the dubbed version of Dragon Ball Super, Monica Rial, made claims that voice actor Vic Mignogna was behaving inappropriately with her behind the scenes. There was never 100% proof of what had or had not happened but Funimation stuck by Monica's side through the whole ordeal and thus ended Vic's run with Funimation and greatly hurt his entire career as a voice actor.

Vic then tried to file a civil case against Funimation as well as Monica for destroying his career and the last of it was dismissed as of yesterday.

State District Judge John Chupp dismissed the remaining claims in the defamation lawsuit that Dragon Ball star Mignogna filed in April against his former employer, two of his Dallas-area colleagues and the fiancé of one of the women.

Chupp’s action came after mediation efforts this week failed to get a resolution.

Friday’s decision left Mignogna 0 for 17 in his legal battle, as Chupp already had dismissed 12 of the claims, which included defamation, tortious interference and conspiracy during an early September hearing.

Source

Now I was not there, none of us were but based on what I do know about Vic, he is a very affectionate guy with family, friends, and fans. Some people like to interact more with people via hugs, kisses on the cheek, and so on. Both hugs and kisses can be very non-sexual and everyone knows this. Some people are not comfortable with this level of affection and I understand that completely. My only issues with this story is that there was no solid proof. I am not saying Monica lied about what she felt at all but I do feel there is a good chance there was a big misunderstanding here and this should have never been made public. Back this with the fact that she never dismissed him or told him she didn't like how he was acting seems odd to me (maybe I got that wrong?). If some dude was making me too uncomfortable, work related or not, I would say something to them and if it continued, then I would take the actions she did.

It seems to be done and over with now but I am sure fans in the anime community will continue to pick sides and be angry at each other over it. I think it is important to learn from this as a community and to respect each others opinions on the matter. Opinions, after all, are heavily based in emotions and not facts. We are all entitled to have an opinion on something like this but we shouldn't let it hurt the community.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Unfortunately in today’s cancel culture its not possible to attack each other’s opinions instead of attacking people like in good ole fashioned American civil discourse. Something has got to give and it isn’t going to be my ideals relating to politely disagreeing with other people’s opinions. People need to grow the F up!

Also, Vic is going to appeal the case and having met him a few times at cons my impression is he’s a good dude. Some people just don’t like him because of his beliefs and affection towards fans. Once again people need to grow the F up!

• Agree
Reactions: LividJay and Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Unfortunately in today’s cancel culture its not possible to attack each other’s opinions instead of attacking people like in good ole fashioned American civil discourse. Something has got to give and it isn’t going to be my ideals relating to politely disagreeing with other people’s opinions. People need to grow the F up!

Also, Vic is going to appeal the case and having met him a few times at cons my impression is he’s a good dude. Some people just don’t like him because of his beliefs and affection towards fans. Once again people need to grow the F up!

Social media blowing up certainly didn't help things. It seems people are too sensitive these days and just too easily offended over the smallest things. I am fine with people disagreeing with me or each other, but very few can do it civilly online anymore. Cases like this where there is no solid proof of anything other than he said she said should not be handled publicly.

Reactions: India Actual

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
It seems people are too sensitive these days and just too easily offended over the smallest things.

It's the unfortunate reality of the social media generation growing up, and starting online social media campaigns over the slightest thing, because that's what they see happening everywhere. Overblown reactions and a faux outrage culture aiming for anything and everything they can possibly react to in order to get attention. I'm not saying all of them are overblown, some are legitimate and need to happen, but most just pick up a thread of a rumour and run with it, regardless of how damaging it can be to someone should it prove to be false. Let's not forget the power of the internet can be a fantastic tool, but it has ruined innocent lives chasing up threads that proved to be wrong. Remember the Boston Marathon bombings? How many "suspects" did the internet detectives "find," name and shame because of faulty logic, racist targeting or outright stupidity? A fair few of them had their lives completely turned upside down for no reason whatsoever other than social media outrage culture thinking they know best and disregarding everything else.

I get the feeling that this is one instance where a private feeling was made public without confronting the other party involved or the company involved, the public jumped to every conclusion they could, and no one knows the actual truth of the matter but the two involved. Vic has lost a lot from this, personally and professionally, his association with Funimation, Rooster Teeth and so on. It's unfortunate, but this is the way things will keep going so long as people put actions and outrage ahead of understanding and research.

• Agree
Reactions: Beerus and LividJay

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
One of the biggest problems with cancel culture is that people are guilty until (unlikely) proven innocent by a court of public opinion. People who were once contributing members of society end up like hermits and I'm sure there are cases where these people can no longer get by. If someone really was guilty, they should pay their dues, learn from their mistakes, and then get back to work. Cancel culture doesn't seem to allow for that. It doesn't believe in forgiveness. It doesn't care what innocent people go down in its wake. All it does is satisfy some idiotic people's sense of vengeance.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
One of the biggest problems with cancel culture is that people are guilty until (unlikely) proven innocent by a court of public opinion. People who were once contributing members of society end up like hermits and I'm sure there are cases where these people can no longer get by. If someone really was guilty, they should pay their dues, learn from their mistakes, and then get back to work. Cancel culture doesn't seem to allow for that. It doesn't believe in forgiveness. It doesn't care what innocent people go down in its wake. All it does is satisfy some idiotic people's sense of vengeance.
Yeah and I am always hearing of people losing their jobs because of this. These fringe groups of outrage will actually find out where someone works and get them fired. It happens all the time. It isn't even worth being active on social media anymore if you are even the slightest bit famous or well known.

Reactions: LividJay

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I'm not saying all of them are overblown, some are legitimate and need to happen, but most just pick up a thread of a rumour and run with it, regardless of how damaging it can be to someone should it prove to be false.
This is what bothers me. There are cases where things being brought to the public eye is important but very few people react over them and they end up getting buried by nonsense and false accusations. People scream "fact" when it is nothing but an opinion. I don't think there is a high percentage of people who frequent social media that know the difference anymore. That, or outrage culture is just that loud that it seems like there is so many more of them then there really is.

A bit off topic but It still pisses me off that not enough people wanted justice for all those poor girls who were used and abused by Jeffrey Epstein and all those disgusting people in politics and Hollywood. Yet people are in flames of anger over something like this because they are a fan of the supposed victim. I say "supposed victim" not as an insult to Monica but as a statement due to lack of evidence and facts.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: