Dragon Ball Z What was the weakest arc in DBZ?

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
A friend asked me this question, and I thought it was really hard to answer because each arc was so iconic and brilliant. It took me a while to think of an answer, but I eventually chose the cell arc, not for any fault of the arc in particular, but just because there were better arcs with more iconic moments.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I can understand why someone would dislike the Cell Arc. It's the least impactful to the story as far as Z is concerned, and the Human Z Fighters finally take a backseat.

With that said, it's the Boo Arc where things really fall apart in my personal opinion. The power chains, which are one of Z's strongest points, are a complete mess in the early Boo Arc. Gohan becomes a joke until he becomes Ultimate/Mystic, Piccolo goes from a Z Fighter to a Mentor or just a babysitter, and Majin Vegeta was backwards character development (although some may argue it needed to happen). Don't even get me started on Trunks and Goten.

Boo is a bad villain in all of his forms as well. As Fat Boo you can't take him seriously, and Evil Boo/Super Boo is a more serious version of Fat Boo, but is still not a proper villain by any means. Bootenks and Boohan are poor knock offs of Perfect Cell, and Kid Boo has no real character.

Reactions: mundomania

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I suppose it defends on how we define the arcs. The Saiyan arc isn't particularly strong, IMO, as it gets good when Goku and Vegeta start fighting and there's too much filler in between. Iconic, yes, but good...eh...not so much.

Edit -- and yeah, the Buu arc is also not exactly fantastic.

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
I can understand why someone would dislike the Cell Arc. It's the least impactful to the story as far as Z is concerned, and the Human Z Fighters finally take a backseat.

With that said, it's the Boo Arc where things really fall apart in my personal opinion. The power chains, which are one of Z's strongest points, are a complete mess in the early Boo Arc. Gohan becomes a joke until he becomes Ultimate/Mystic, Piccolo goes from a Z Fighter to a Mentor or just a babysitter, and Majin Vegeta was backwards character development (although some may argue it needed to happen). Don't even get me started on Trunks and Goten.

Boo is a bad villain in all of his forms as well. As Fat Boo you can't take him seriously, and Evil Boo/Super Boo is a more serious version of Fat Boo, but is still not a proper villain by any means. Bootenks and Boohan are poor knock offs of Perfect Cell, and Kid Boo has no real character.
I liked the boo arc because I thought the ending was cool, Gogeta was awesome, and Vegeta's sacrifice was really nice. But I can see why it sucked aswell.

Reactions: Yoshi

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
I suppose it defends on how we define the arcs. The Saiyan arc isn't particularly strong, IMO, as it gets good when Goku and Vegeta start fighting and there's too much filler in between. Iconic, yes, but good...eh...not so much.

Edit -- and yeah, the Buu arc is also not exactly fantastic.
I thought the saiyan saga was pretty good. Gohan training was cool to see, the whole concept of saiyans was a huge moment, and a very clever one, and apart from snake way taking 30 years, It was a pretty cool overall fight. Vegeta going giant ape, and the whole gallick gun vs kaio ken kamehameha was pretty cool.

Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I thought the saiyan saga was pretty good. Gohan training was cool to see, the whole concept of saiyans was a huge moment, and a very clever one, and apart from snake way taking 30 years, It was a pretty cool overall fight. Vegeta going giant ape, and the whole gallick gun vs kaio ken kamehameha was pretty cool.
I can't disagree with the Gohan parts, they were good, and yes, the revelation that Gohan was an alien and he was sent to destroy the planet that he wound up adopting and protecting was great, too, but there was so much filler in it that it just felt like it took an eternity to get to the Vegeta fight. I think that's something that's built up over the years, though, and initially I loved all of the filler, but nowadays...ugh...

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
I can't disagree with the Gohan parts, they were good, and yes, the revelation that Gohan was an alien and he was sent to destroy the planet that he wound up adopting and protecting was great, too, but there was so much filler in it that it just felt like it took an eternity to get to the Vegeta fight. I think that's something that's built up over the years, though, and initially I loved all of the filler, but nowadays...ugh...
Yeah, after watching super being pretty full, the filler does start to annoy you. I'll still take 4 episodes of charging up, however, too many great memories.

• Agree

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Yeah, after watching super being pretty full, the filler does start to annoy you. I'll still take 4 episodes of charging up, however, too many great memories.
Oh agreed 100%! DB and DBZ are iconic, they're worth the filler, they're worth the seven hours of screaming before the actually action begins. It's nostalgia, annoying or not :D

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
That's very true. Though sometimes they push boundaries. Snake way for example...
Yeah, Snake Way had it's moments, like Princess Snake and 'HFIL,' but they could have done that in so many fewer episodes than they did and the story would have been identical. Like I said, I'm still happy to go back through the filler, but the older I get the less I appreciate it :D

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
Yeah, Snake Way had it's moments, like Princess Snake and 'HFIL,' but they could have done that in so many fewer episodes than they did and the story would have been identical. Like I said, I'm still happy to go back through the filler, but the older I get the less I appreciate it :D
I find re-watching it makes me start pressing skip a lot more often.

• Agree

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I find re-watching it makes me start pressing skip a lot more often.
Same here, it's great watching them the first time, or watching them after a long time away, the filler isn't quite so annoying, but if you're watching it to get to the good scenes and epic battles, skipping is a very prevalent feature!

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
Same here, it's great watching them the first time, or watching them after a long time away, the filler isn't quite so annoying, but if you're watching it to get to the good scenes and epic battles, skipping is a very prevalent feature!
It's why I prefer z kai over z when watching. Makes for a way better re-watching experience.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
What is the difference between an arc and a saga? I only ever go by sagas cause that is what I am familiar with. Is it the same thing?

PanSimpson

Saiyan Warrior
The Cell Saga.

The Majin Buu Saga is THE PEAK of NOT JUST DBZ, but all of Dragon Ball in general. NOTHING Tops The Majin Buu Saga IMO. There is just too many things to love about The Majin Buu Saga.

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
For me it's the Saiyan arc - for similar reasons as Super Kami Guru. There were some awesome moments, for sure, but not very impactful for me.
I have to disagree. For me the Saiyan arc was a HUGE change to dbz, not only were off-world villains properly introduced, it gave a proper explanation to Goku and his back story, introduced Vegeta, and the Saiyan race. It was a pretty big arc imo.

Reactions: Beerus
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: