Dragon Ball Which character has had the most/best character development?

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
I was reading some old dragon ball manga and was thinking about how far the story has progressed when I thought of this question. There's been so many arcs and so many changes of allegiance, but is there one character that has had the most/best character development? I've got a few characters in mind to start off with:

Piccolo: Piccolo's character has developed so much. Bearing in mind that he was literally created from the evils of kami, and that he is pure evil, its crazy that he ended up as, essentially, gohan's dad, and became such a good guy.

Vegeta: Vegeta is a very interesting character. The saiyan saga was, imo, the most interesting saga because it discussed the saiyan background. However, vegeta has really come a long way, from being pure evil, and killing nappa, his fellow saiyan, to trying to save the world in the ultimate sacrifice in the buu saga, and trying to atone for his crimes against the namekians in the moro saga.

Beerus: Beerus has gone through a lot of changes. His character was incredibly scary and crazy powerful when introduced in the battle of the gods saga, but since then, he's really come a long way, and now would be considered one of goku's allies, considering he was about to help goku against moro, in the moro saga.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Of everyone, Vegeta has had the most growth and development throughout the series that is only rivaled by Piccolo.

Piccolo's change happened faster but it was still impactful to see him not only form a friendship with Goku but take on Gohan like he was his own son and truly embrace his natural Namekian nurturing. As for Vegeta, he has come a long, long way. His growth is still in progress which I find amazing for him and this is why, of all the characters, I always enjoyed him the most. I loved him as a villain but also as a hero and a father. He has had some of the most emotional moments throughout the series as well. From him breaking down in tears over what Frieza did to him, to realizing he was a father, to becoming a father and sacrificing himself to save his wife and son... It has been an amazing ride following his breakthroughs.

You mentioned Beerus and yeah, he has had some growth but it was motivated heavily by food and entertainment. The dude is a legit glutton but in a hilarious way. I really enjoy his character and he has been my favorite addition to the series since the start of Super.

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
Of everyone, Vegeta has had the most growth and development throughout the series that is only rivaled by Piccolo.

Piccolo's change happened faster but it was still impactful to see him not only form a friendship with Goku but take on Gohan like he was his own son and truly embrace his natural Namekian nurturing. As for Vegeta, he has come a long, long way. His growth is still in progress which I find amazing for him and this is why, of all the characters, I always enjoyed him the most. I loved him as a villain but also as a hero and a father. He has had some of the most emotional moments throughout the series as well. From him breaking down in tears over what Frieza did to him, to realizing he was a father, to becoming a father and sacrificing himself to save his wife and son... It has been an amazing ride following his breakthroughs.

You mentioned Berrus and yeah, he has had some growth but it was motivated heavily by food and entertainment. The dude is a legit glutton but in a hilarious way. I really enjoy his character and he has been my favorite addition to the series since the start of Super.
I agree with you about beerus. He was the best thing to come out of super imo, I loved the stupid stuff he did with monaka. One of my favourite moments of vegetas is when trunks gets killed by cell, and vegeta gets super mad. That one scene where beerus slaps bulma also has the same vibes. I think it shows how far vegeta has come through these reactions.

• Agree
Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I agree with you about beerus. He was the best thing to come out of super imo, I loved the stupid stuff he did with monaka. One of my favourite moments of vegetas is when trunks gets killed by cell, and vegeta gets super mad. That one scene where beerus slaps bulma also has the same vibes. I think it shows how far vegeta has come through these reactions.
His rage over that was amazing. He just flipped his lid and in comparison to how afraid he was of Beerus prior to that moment just signifies how much Bulma truly means to him. I can't see Goku reacting quite the same for Chi Chi but I think Gohan would for Videl. Thinking about things actually... Gohan is more like Vegeta than Goku at this point lol

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
His rage over that was amazing. He just flipped his lid and in comparison to how afraid he was of Beerus prior to that moment just signifies how much Bulma truly means to him. I can't see Goku reacting quite the same for Chi Chi but I think Gohan would for Videl. Thinking about things actually... Gohan is more like Vegeta than Goku at this point lol
Its crazy how different gohan is to his dad. In terms of intelligence, potential, work ethic, personality, apart from the saiyan blood he could have been someone else's child.

• Agree

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Its crazy how different gohan is to his dad. In terms of intelligence, potential, work ethic, personality, apart from the saiyan blood he could have been someone else's child.
Let's be honest here, he may as well be Piccolo's kid. :haha:

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Piccolo raised so many children, he raised gohan, dende, and even occasionally pan. Really went from the demon king to professional surrogate parent.
That is that Namekian nature for you. They are strong and can gain great strength but they seek to protect, not destroy.

Reactions: mundomania

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
That is that Namekian nature for you. They are strong and can gain great strength but they seek to protect, not destroy.
I used to wonder why the namekians never really used their dragon balls, but I realised that they are just nice civil beings. This makes me think that maybe piccolo was destined to mellow out his evilness anyway, due to the nature of namekians?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I used to wonder why the namekians never really used their dragon balls, but I realised that they are just nice civil beings. This makes me think that maybe piccolo was destined to mellow out his evilness anyway, due to the nature of namekians?
I think being around Gohan helped the process because it made him question why he cared so much about him. Without Gohan, I am not sure it would have happened but someone else could have made it come to pass for sure if the story went a different direction.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Can't really disagree with Piccolo or Vegeta, both characters went from inherently evil to protectors and had some incredibly selfless moments along the way. Both solid choices for characters to have had had the most character development throughout the entire series.

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
The most character development is Vegeta, easily. Nobody even comes close. Ever since his introduction, Vegeta's gotten his own character arc in every single story arc in the series. Except maybe for the Resurrection of "F" arc, he might just go blue there. Piccolo's development stopped after Cell, he hasn't had anything since then. I'd say Gohan has the second most development, it's not as immediately notable since he was never a villain, but he's constantly developing from his introduction to the early stages of the Buu Saga with his relationship with Videl.

As for best character development? Yeah, that's also Vegeta, easily. Nobody even comes close. Don't get me wrong, I love Piccolo & Gohan's relationship and how it positively changes both of them, but Vegeta has the best character work in Dragon Ball hands down.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I agree. Piccolo's transition to a protagonist happened when he lost his life against Nappa, and it ended after Cell, like you said. Vegeta's transition to a protagonist was slower and a lot more detailed as well. He didn't become a protagonist until the Kid Boo fight at last, where he admitted inferiority to Goku.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: