Which character was the biggest let down?

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
By this, I mean disappointing in any way, or just something you really didn't like about the character. My one is Jiren. They hyped up Jiren so much, but then gave him the worst back story ever, I wish they had done something like he was genetically enhanced or something.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Overall? Gohan. This has to do more with the build-up they did throughout Dragon Ball Z. You got to see him become a man, a real fighter, and it was amazing... And then well, we all know what happened when the pink dough ball saga started. It doesn't bother me as much after having watched Super because I get it, he is not like Goku or Vegeta, and certainly not like Piccolo who once trained him... He is his own character but I just wish he and Videl both kept that fighting spark.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Dabura. Dude's the literal personification of the Devil, he should have been as much of a test as Majin Buu himself, but he felt like a complete waste of time. Let's give them a minor stumbling block before we get to bloated man child character...oh but let's build him up a bit like he's a super-evil and super-powerful character and then have him just sort of do nothing and lose...

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
Along with all of the above answers, Tenshinhan. He was Goku's first real rival that wasn't as big of a villain as say, Vegeta and Piccolo, and at the same time, was more of a serious rival to Goku than Yamcha and Krillin (which is why I considered him his first real rival). He was also the fourth strongest person in the world in the 23rd Budokai, behind only Goku, and the literal God (Kami) and the literal Devil (Piccolo).

Because of this, it's disappointing for myself, as well as many people, to see him surpassed by Krillin at the End Of Z, although this is likely because of Krillin's potential unlock by Guru on Namek. At least he has a bad ass move in the form of Shin Kikoho, which he likely developed on King Kai's planet, and that move was helpful against both Cell and Boo, where he saved #18 and #16, as well as Dende and Mister Satan.

Last edited:

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Personally, Videl.

Don't get me wrong, the actual answer here is Gohan. He had the torched passed to him only for them to renege on that decision pretty quickly. No other character had that much narrative weight placed on them only to be sidelined as a power-up for the big bad. That said, Gohan not being a fighter has always been in his character, so even if he's just kind there in Super now, he's at least retained his personality. Videl in Super is a domesticated housewife and that's it. All the personality she was introduced with has been removed. At least she's a nice housewife I guess.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I agree. The Boo Saga should have been about Gohan succeeding Goku. That would have been perfect.

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
You've all put down some great answers and I don't think I disagree with any of them, with exception to maybe Trunks...but then again, I think he had much more potential, so maybe not.

Gohan is definitely number 1 on that list for me, though. lil pansy-ass bish.
I said Trunks because his backstory got all kinds of weird or confusing and it always seemed like he potential like Gohan, but they just never pulled the trigger on him

Ultra instinct Chi-chi

Saiyan Warrior
I'd say Chi-Chi, Videl and Pan.

They have 3 things in common: They're girls, they are/were fighters and they had great potential.

First of all, Chi-Chi was a martial arts prodigy, even able to rival Goku as a child and pressure him as a teen. She was tough and an absolute badass. But she ended up as a housewife and a terrible, close minded mother who stays on the sidelines.

Then we have Videl who got the same treatment as Chi-Chi but worse. Chi-Chi at least kept her courage and tough personality. But Videl's personality did a 180, making her bland and wimpy.

And at last, Pan was a quarter saiyan and a powerful fighter who absolutely crushed a huge guy at a martial arts tournament when she was only 4! But then during GT, she became a damsel in distress with her main thing being getting saved by Goku. And she didn't even go super saiyan!

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
I'd say Chi-Chi, Videl and Pan.

They have 3 things in common: They're girls, they are/were fighters and they had great potential.

First of all, Chi-Chi was a martial arts prodigy, even able to rival Goku as a child and pressure him as a teen. She was tough and an absolute badass. But she ended up as a housewife and a terrible, close minded mother who stays on the sidelines.

Then we have Videl who got the same treatment as Chi-Chi but worse. Chi-Chi at least kept her courage and tough personality. But Videl's personality did a 180, making her bland and wimpy.

And at last, Pan was a quarter saiyan and a powerful fighter who absolutely crushed a huge guy at a martial arts tournament when she was only 4! But then during GT, she became a damsel in distress with her main thing being getting saved by Goku. And she didn't even go super saiyan!
Off topic, but is GT worth watching? I've heard mixed reviews.

GogetaBlue

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan
Jiren, he really got me mad because of why he grew strong just to protect himself and get recognition from his master.
but I understand Gohan he never liked fighting so he started studying, but it still got annoying.
I like the moro arc ending but it is kinda dissapointing how he went power hungry and went insane but i don't see another way to beat him so it works.
but yeah Jiren is the most dissapointing

mundomania

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan 2
Jiren, he really got me mad because of why he grew strong just to protect himself and get recognition from his master.
but I understand Gohan he never liked fighting so he started studying, but it still got annoying.
I like the moro arc ending but it is kinda dissapointing how he went power hungry and went insane but i don't see another way to beat him so it works.
but yeah Jiren is the most dissapointing
i agree with jiren, but only because his backstory lacked imagination. It wasn't very well done imo.

Reactions: Beerus
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: