Dragon Ball Z Why do so many Dragon Ball Z fans love the Cell Saga so much?

Why do so many Dragon Ball Z fans love the Cell Saga so much?

• Because it rocked and is the best Saga hands down.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Because many Z fans are blinded by nostalgia when it comes to overrating the Cell Saga.

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

VPDBZ3030

Saiyan Grunt
Aside from Super Saiyan 2 Gohan (OVERRATED) beating Cell and avenging his father's death (which is BY FAR ONE OF THE MOST OVERRATED moments in all of Dragon Ball) and the character of Future Trunks, what was so special about the Cell Saga to people?

One big reason why the Cell Saga is not one of my favorites is because it took me AGES to get through the Cell Saga in Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (2020) and I had a very difficult time beating Cell and the Cell Jrs, so when I finally destroyed Cell as Super Saiyan 2 Gohan and finished the Cell Saga altogether on the game, I was so relieved to be able to finally move on from that portion of the story and start the Majin Buu Saga!

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Aside from Super Saiyan 2 Gohan (OVERRATED) beating Cell and avenging his father's death (which is BY FAR ONE OF THE MOST OVERRATED moments in all of Dragon Ball) and the character of Future Trunks, what was so special about the Cell Saga to people?

One big reason why the Cell Saga is not one of my favorites is because it took me AGES to get through the Cell Saga in Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (2020) and I had a very difficult time beating Cell and the Cell Jrs, so when I finally destroyed Cell as Super Saiyan 2 Gohan and finished the Cell Saga altogether on the game, I was so relieved to be able to finally move on from that portion of the story and start the Majin Buu Saga!
Just curious, are the only negative examples just from the game or did you not like it in the manga and/or anime for a specific reason? I think we’re missing something to properly address this topic.

VPDBZ3030

Saiyan Grunt
Just curious, are the only negative examples just from the game or did you not like it in the manga and/or anime for a specific reason? I think we’re missing something to properly address this topic.

I didn't really like it all that much in the anime or manga either. Dragon Ball Z Kakarot just added more to my serious distaste for the Saga.

But I will admit, my judgement of the Cell Saga is based soley on the original English Funimation Dub of the Saga that use to air on Cartoon Network's all the time back in the 2000's.

Last edited:

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
I didn't really like it all that much in the anime or manga either. Dragon Ball Z Kakarot just added more to my serious distaste for the Saga.

But I will admit, my judgement of the Cell Saga is based soley on the original English Funimation Dub of the Saga that use to air on Cartoon Network's all the time back in the 2000's.
Okay, fair enough. I think the Cell Saga had great moments, but it does have its problems. If there’s anything close to being “perfect” in DBZ it would be the Saiyan saga for me personally. I felt it had good pacing, the right amount of tension, and had excellent fight sequences.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I personally like the Freeza Saga over the Cell Saga, but it really boils down to what you like more in a story, since fans are normally divided between which Saga is the best in the series over the other.

If you prefer the alien lifeforms and extraterrestrial habitats in the Freeza Saga, the Freeza Saga is for you. If you prefer the androids and the futuristic themes in the Cell Saga, the Cell Saga is for you.

Also, the Saiyan Saga is considered a prequel to the Freeza Saga, but while this is an unpopular opinion, I consider the Androids Saga a prequel to the Cell Saga.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I agree with @Yoshioka Seijuro on this one, I much prefer the Namek/Freiza arc over the Cell games. I find Hercule to be a nuissance of a filler character, the constant "wow, why isn't Goku worried!?" storyline before the tournament is needless, Vegeta and Trunks going Thicc Saiyan was also a pointless endeavour that taught us nothing more than muscle weighs more than fat, and the back and forth arrogance between Cell and Vegeta is just irritating, even if it fits their personalities. At least there was more action in the Namek arc, and growth in the characters. I'll take that over the Cell games any day.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
The Frieza saga was better to me as well for various reasons but the Cell saga had a lot of emotion with Gohan and it really sucked me in.

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I feel like the Gohan VS Cell fight is very overrated though. The only part of the fight I actually like is the beam struggle.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
I feel like the Gohan VS Cell fight is very overrated though. The only part of the fight I actually like is the beam struggle.
My favorite

1598245245046.png

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
The whole Cell Saga (the whole Future Trunks thing, not just the Androids) is as a whole, my favourite part of the series and there's a few reasons for that. Yoshioka already mentioned one of those, I'm just generally more drawn to the sci-fi elements featured there, with the Androids and time travel and everything. It's pretty much the only part in all of Dragon Ball that really leans into that, so it's a plus for me. Similarly, Cell's introduction is like the only time the series delves into horror, and that certainly left on a young me.

But the most important reason is I think it's the period of the series where the whole cast is treated the best. Admittedly, it's not Vegeta's best character arc in the series (honestly from Z, it's his worst [unless you count Saiyan where he doesn't really have one) but he does have his own story arc and his relationship with Trunks is pretty interesting. Especially the inverse parallels with Goku and Gohan's relationship. Future Trunks himself was a pretty cool and likable character. Piccolo has his own story arc, his decision to fuse with Kami was treated with weight and he gets an awesome fight with 17. Which reminds me, Androids 16-18 are some of my favourite antagonists in the series. They're pretty likable, and not particularly villainous. They never really do anything bad, they even avoid killing people when they easily could've, they're just a threat because they want to fight Goku since it sounds like fun. And 17 treating it like a game was always entertaining, especially when 18 grumbled about it. Speaking of 18, Krillin got his own character arc of having a crush on her. Tien got his best and most hype moment in the entire series stalling Cell, and we finally got the payoff of all the build to Gohan's power with him defeating Cell.

Which is noteworthy for two reasons. I. The Cell fight has the best climax in all of Dragon Ball, the father-son Kamehameha defeating Cell after an errant ki blast from Vegeta. Made especially delicious with how dramatically tense Cell's return was, and Vegeta finally fighting for someone else after a series and especially arc where he only fought to prove himself superior. II. Goku didn't save the day, Gohan did. The Cell Saga diverges the most from Dragon Ball's, Goku saves the day formula, which I really appreciate.

I know some of this isn't much, like Krillin's little subplot isn't anything to write home about and Tien's moment ultimately accomplishes nothing, but I just love the amount of different characters that have something going on or some highlight moment. Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Krillin, Future Trunks, Piccolo, Kami, Bulma (removing 16's bomb, dropping exposition about Gero), and Tien all get worthwhile stuff to contribute to here. And the ending resolution is the best in Dragon Ball.

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
If you hate a saga base on a game, I can't take your opinion serious because on that logic I should hate The Frezia Saga as it was a pain in the ass in one of the early games, that I can't remember the name of. (@me)

I really can't add more then what was already said, but for me personally it had emotions, drama, and everything you can want in a great story. I mean, I am 28 and I still cry when Android 16's head gets crushed. No other saga does that for me as well Gohan became the main focus and his story in this saga is the best especially when he realizes that sometimes you have to use violence in order to maintain peace, or to protect the people and world you love, which is a Oxymoron and Ironic all in one.

• Agree
Reactions: Carnotaurus

VPDBZ3030

Saiyan Grunt
If you hate a saga base on a game, I can't take your opinion serious because on that logic I should hate The Frezia Saga as it was a pain in the ass in one of the early games, that I can't remember the name of. (@me)

I really can't add more then what was already said, but for me personally it had emotions, drama, and everything you can want in a great story. I mean, I am 28 and I still cry when Android 16's head gets crushed. No other saga does that for me as well Gohan became the main focus and his story in this saga is the best especially when he realizes that sometimes you have to use violence in order to maintain peace, or to protect the people and world you love, which is a Oxymoron and Ironic all in one.

I never said I hated the Cell Saga (I don't hate any of the Sagas in Dragon Ball), but I do think the Cell Saga is BY FAR the most overrated and I do prefer the Majin Buu Saga over it and think the Majin Buu Saga was a massive vast improvement over the Cell Saga in everyway possible and I don't care who knows it. Oh and I think The Great Saiyaman rules by the way.

You sound like the kind of person who takes Dragon Ball way too seriously. I bet you also take Star Wars way too seriously as well and you probably think The Phantom Menace "sucks" because of Jar Jar Binks and the Gungan race.

• Funny
Reactions: Punkhead

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Well to me, Super Saiyan 2 Gohan is overrated and it's really sad how so many fans think that's the benchmark that Gohan should always be held up to and as it shows they clearly don't get Gohan as a character and never did.
We watched Gohan go from a snot-nosed kid to a young man who saved the entire planet. At the end of the Cell Saga it was hard not to be like "holy crap, he is stronger than even Goku now!" and not be excited for his future. In the grand scheme of things though, it makes sense that he would go back to school without Goku around and he would eventually meet a gal and settle down. I would have been fine with it... Had they left out Saiyaman. lol

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Well to me, Super Saiyan 2 Gohan is overrated and it's really sad how so many fans think that's the benchmark that Gohan should always be held up to and as it shows they clearly don't get Gohan as a character and never did.
In your opinion, how is it overrated?

Beerus explains my sentiments on it exactly. This kid worked his ass off after being such a whiny, little, shit for his childhood up to that point. He outclassed cell in almost every way after the transformation and only his arrogance got him in trouble (as with most Saiyans it seems), until daddy saved him and gave him a second chance to not fuck up.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: