Dragon Ball Super Why I don't really care for Super much

Neo Xeron

Saiyan Grunt
I don't agree that Super Saiyan transformations are useless. Let's look at what a transformation is, besides colorful hair and aura, the transformation is a power boost and multiplier. Since the new God transformations have come along the only thing that changed is how the original transformations are used. Now, in Super, the original 3 transformations are used to gauge the opponents power level. If the opponent puts up a fight against a SSJ1-3 then the God transformations come into play. The original transformations are still used, just in a different way, they are typically used to test opponents AND conserve stamina.

In regards to the new transformations I think they are great. We couldn't use the same three transformations and put the protagonist on God level now could we? Broly has always had his own transformation. Besides that, the only oddball transformation out there is Trunks' weird transformation during the Zamasu saga.

Gattsu

Saiyan Grunt
Hit was a cool character. He was better than anyone in GT.
Plus who doesn’t like seeing new SSJ transformations. That literally makes the show

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Plus who doesn’t like seeing new SSJ transformations. That literally makes the show
I think for some of us, it's just gotten out of hand and the most creative thing they've done lately is the "tingly ass-gasm" as someone else here put it...and then the god mode being unlocked for Goku through other Saiyans...but then somehow Vegeta obtained it and we don't know how. I don't have the answer to make it better, though, so I try not to dislike it too much. Super Saiyans are still the most interesting breed in all of manga/anime, IMHO.

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2

I'm just gonna address this from end to beginning.

So firstly

The first SSJ form did "make the show" for awhile.

Then the second still has that "There's an EVEN STRONGER level" factor to it. So it was still exciting, especially given the circumstances and characters involved.

Then the third happened, and while it still felt epic to some degree, the excitment factor wasn't quite as high.

Then GT had SSJ4 and it was decent because it had a whole fresh look and method to achieving it, but it still felt a bit played out by then.

When Battle of Gods introduced SSJGod, I cringed. Another transformation is one thing, but another SSJ transformation was kind of lame.

Then SSJBlue was lame.
Then Rose was super lame
LSSJ was always lame imo

At least Ultra-Instinct wasn't just another SSJ, but at this point, it's a little late. BoG would have been the ideal point for a fresh take like that.

Just my opinion though

A cool character?

Eh. He was... Meh.
The whole
"hE's gEtTiNg BeTtEr aS hE fIgHtS"
Thing was pretty lame.

But, better than anyone in GT? I'll give you that, but GT set the bar pretty low.

Reactions: Carnotaurus

Carnotaurus

Roar!
Super Saiyan
Super transformations are just lazy last resort methods to justify power ups and overpowering whatever rival. Are Goku and Vegeta, or whatever Saiyan born character while at it, not able to beat X? No worries, give them a new hair color and add some PL. But this is not really why I grew to love Dragon Ball, to see Saiyans scream their way around and change pigment. It pretty much goes into the area of shoujo magical girls transformations. Imo SSJ4 is way more interesting. But that's just my opinion.

And I think SSJG looks awful.

• Agree
Reactions: India Actual

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Toyotaro and TOEI have always been bad at that.

They write like something epic HAS to happen at least every other episode and it's over pretty quickly too.
Thinking back to the build-up to the first time Goku reached Super Saiyan, I don't think they will ever be able to build up a transformation that good ever again.

Teen Gohan

Saiyan Warrior
it is though
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Beerus

Blockinlick

Ultra Pinkstink
Super Saiyan 2
My wife & I just finished watching the English dub (My first watch was the sub).

I definitely liked that version MUCH better. However, most of the sentiment of this thread remains.

-I still hate Trunks' asspulls vs Zamasu

-I still hate Ribrianne and Universe 2 in general

-I still hate how U6 Saiyans cheesed the SSJ transformations

However, they cast the PERFECT voice for Jiren. I like him even more now.

On a side note:
Are my wife & I terrible people for laughing at
"DON'T SHOOT, THAT MAN ISN'T BLACK!"? lol

Last edited:

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
I find it pretty interesting how, except for Point 5, all these problems are pretty much exclusive to the anime. Like for #1, the whole ending bit where Trunks fights Zamasu with that Spirit Bomb Sword is completely anime exclusive, the manga version of the arc handles the power scaling so much better than the anime (although the anime version definitely has it's advantages). I definitely took issue with how Trunks vs. Zamasu was handled in the anime so I was really glad to read the manga version which still gave Trunks a moment to shine near the end, but in a way that made logical sense. #2 is also exclusively in the anime and thank god cause I hated that too, lol. I guess #3 is also in the manga since Kale still goes Legendary Super Saiyan, and Broly still happened but the manga skips over the Broly arc. It just kind of mentions it happened and then moves on. Though I have no issue with the Broly or Legendary Super Saiyan stuff. & #4 Hit doesn't improve his time-skipping ability at all during the fight with Goku (in fact, SSJ Blue Goku is so far above Hit in power the ability straight up doesn't work against him).

That said, I prefer the anime version of Hit, I don't mind him improving his ability mid-match, it's not like him getting stronger per-se just get refining a technique's potency. But it lead to him having better character development (him throwing the last match makes more sense in the anime) and made his relationship with Goku more interesting and endearing imo. They don't have much in the manga. And it made the fight more interesting, like with the Kaio-ken thing, Goku doesn't need that in the manga since it's not really that competitive of a bout in the manga. I haven't saw far enough in the anime to see how he does in the Tournament of Power arc, but considering they built him up a lot more in the anime, I'll admit if he performs as well as he does in the anime that's going to be disappointing.

Boom

Saiyan Grunt
I've always had problems with SSJ transformations since after Cell with the true formalization of Super Saiyan 2, so I was actually happy that DBS presented them more as mutations or modifications to the SSJ transformation as opposed to even further transformations which were gate locked. In fact, I loved the idea of SSJ Blue simply replacing the concept of SSJ levels altogether thinking it would go back to a more basic concept, though boy was I disappointed when it went back to the old well by including multipliers and rage modes and Super Blues and Ultra Instinct as a form as opposed to a style. Phew.

That aside, my biggest problem with Super was it's direct call to nostalgia. That would be fine as a small arc or even a movie, but as a series wide concept I wasn't impressed. It brought back the old gang and all that, but didn't do anything with them. They just repeated the same beats with nary any alterations. They even hinted at new things, but nothing came of it.

The rest of it was just things that needed to happen for all that nostalgia to happen, so I don't mind them. But man did I feel let down about the potential the series hinted at and how it traded it all for telling the same old story.

Reactions: Carnotaurus

Carnotaurus

Roar!
Super Saiyan
That aside, my biggest problem with Super was it's direct call to nostalgia.

Man, that Piccolo's sacrifice in Golden Frieza arc. It was touching in DBZ, cringe in DBS. Another cringe-worthy thing was recycling Pilaf's gang, which is hard to watch at times. Remember in DB where they tried to kill the Z gang every time they had the chance, and one time literally by torture/slow death? But I guess that's just water under the bridge in the Dragonball universe. Also Mai as Trunks' girlfriend?

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

Boom

Saiyan Grunt
Man, that Piccolo's sacrifice in Golden Frieza arc. It was touching in DBZ, cringe in DBS. Another cringe-worthy thing was recycling Pilaf's gang, which is hard to watch at times. Remember in DB where they tried to kill the Z gang every time they had the chance, and one time literally by torture/slow death? But I guess that's just water under the bridge in the Dragonball universe. Also Mai as Trunks' girlfriend?
It was nice I guess to see the Pilaf gang back, but it just felt sort of... I dunno. Dumb or something. Bulma totally would be happy to have them as indentured servants and all that, but it just seemed silly for the Z gang post Dragon Ball to have this going on.

The other parts I didn't care for is how everybody just... had the same techniques. Tien was given the most time to shine, but you think a guy who has spent his life training in versatility and do-or-die techniques would have something more than the Four Witches and Multi-form technique at his command. Heck, you think he'd have a new mid-level finisher that wasn't just more Kikoho to blow enemies off the ring. The whole universal survival tournament arc sort of felt like a re-run of things everybody did previously. Including Roshi's Evil Containment Wave. Which... Yeah, was really good to see. But dumb in that it apparently just takes x amounts of ki and if you can meet that you can use it all you want. Double so when it seems to operate identically to any other ki technique with just a few move qualifiers because it sure didn't seem to involve anything else lol. But that might be a problem I have with the franchise in general.

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer:
  • :coke: