Dragon Ball Super Did Goku reach Ultra Instinct out of need or desire?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
During the battle against Cell in DBZ, Goku said ”Power comes in response to a need, not a desire. You have to create that need.” leading up to Gohan reaching Super Saiyan.

However, this is only spoken in the dubbed version and not original Japanese version nor the manga.

Goku reaching Ultra Instinct seemed to have almost been a fluke. No one expected it and it seems not even he understood what it was... However, it does line up with what he mentioned.

Knowing Ultra Instinct is something anyone can obtain (not just Saiyans) would this mean it came out of need in the battle, or his constant desire to be stronger? I mean the whole thing is basically a skill level achieved by means of moving without thinking, essentially training the body so well, it reacts on its own conserving (like a cut scabbing over and healing without needing to think about it happening) maximum power levels.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Well...he trained a ton with Whiis...and Whiis even mentioned something about it long before Goku achieved it. They then cut to the joke about Whiis stepping in the pink doo-doo. I think it was a combination of training, need, desire, and...well...instinct. It's all about the fighting instinct.

Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Well...he trained a ton with Whiis...and Whiis even mentioned something about it long before Goku achieved it. They then cut to the joke about Whiis stepping in the pink doo-doo. I think it was a combination of training, need, desire, and...well...instinct. It's all about the fighting instinct.
I do wonder why Vegeta didn't hit it though. I mean I know there is something about Goku but Vegeta essentially started training with Whis first.

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
I do wonder why Vegeta didn't hit it though. I mean I know there is something about Goku but Vegeta essentially started training with Whis first.
Maybe because Vegeta tends to overthink things. Maybe you really need a clear head for it to work and since Goku is a moron it's just easier.

• Funny

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
I like to believe that both hit their respective forms out of a desire but when the time came was right there was that need.
Now this all depends on which version of the ToP you like to hold truer to canon. Since Super Saiyan Blue Evolution doesn't exist in the manga and Goku only hit Ultra Instinct the one time. Come to think of it, it's probably why the Broly movie went down the way it did. If you're keeping up with the manga there's interesting developments afoot.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I like to believe that both hit their respective forms out of a desire but when the time came was right there was that need.
Now this all depends on which version of the ToP you like to hold truer to canon. Since Super Saiyan Blue Evolution doesn't exist in the manga and Goku only hit Ultra Instinct the one time. Come to think of it, it's probably why the Broly movie went down the way it did. If you're keeping up with the manga there's interesting developments afoot.
I really need to keep up with the manga already. I have heard of there being some differences but not that one.

majin_vegetaDX

Saiyan Grunt
So... The problem with what goku said is that vegeta became super sayan because he wanted to surpass goku. So he eventually trained so hard that he did become super sayan... Now ultra instinct... Thats a hard one.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
So... The problem with what goku said is that vegeta became super sayan because he wanted to surpass goku. So he eventually trained so hard that he did become super sayan... Now ultra instinct... Thats a hard one.
I don't think Vegeta cares as much now because he wants to be his own very best, not just beat Goku. I think he would have been greatly bothered by it sometime ago but he has come a long way.

GogetaBlue

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan
oh man I just watched goku telling gohan ”Power comes in response to a need, not a desire. You have to create that need.” and then he went super sayian!! in the time chamber thingy, it was cool. I was thinking about ultra instinct to. if you guys are talking about goku going ultra instinct when fighting jiren (in super) wasent fighting jiren part of a tornament? and if so goku didn't NEED to go ultra instinct if it was a tornament, goku DESIRED to beat jiren, right? or am I wrong? (I have not watched super I read about it and find out stuff and study my dragonball super cards from the card game they give stuff away so i dont know if this is right)

Reactions: majin_vegetaDX

majin_vegetaDX

Saiyan Grunt
oh man I just watched goku telling gohan ”Power comes in response to a need, not a desire. You have to create that need.” and then he went super sayian!! in the time chamber thingy, it was cool. I was thinking about ultra instinct to. if you guys are talking about goku going ultra instinct when fighting jiren (in super) wasent fighting jiren part of a tornament? and if so goku didn't NEED to go ultra instinct if it was a tornament, goku DESIRED to beat jiren, right? or am I wrong? (I have not watched super I read about it and find out stuff and study my dragonball super cards from the card game they give stuff away so i dont know if this is right)
Wow... You just made me think...

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: