Favorite Dragon Ball Saga

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
shenlarge.gif

What is your favorite Dragon Ball saga?

Here is the complete saga list for your reference.

I have gone back and forth over the years but I ultimately come back to androids with the Cell Games Saga being my favorite.

I feel like it showed amazing growth in all the characters, especially Gohan. In that saga (as well as the ones leading to it), he was actually my favorite character. The fact that for that period in time he surpassed the strength of not only Vegeta but his own father was amazing. It is somewhat of a shame what happened to him after that (I think they didn't do his character justice) but I understand it goes with the path he went down. Second to this one is a tie between the "Future" Trunks Saga and the Piccolo Jr. Saga.

Tekkin

Saiyan Warrior
The entire Frieza group really. I feel like this is the most common for people to enjoy as well. It was essentially what got me hooked. I enjoyed Dragon Ball a lot but prior to the group going to planet Namek, I wasn't really feeling DBZ. It changed my mind on the growth of using the power ups.

Goku

Saiyan Grunt
The Cell Saga for Sure! It keep you on the edge of your see now to mention the Bruce Music was at and all time best during that sage as well. The Drama in it the building up now knowing what was going happen next My hero Goku dieing with the twist and turn until the end when Teen Gohan killed Cell.

Reactions: Beerus

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
For me it has to be the Saiyan saga, specifically that fight with Vegeta. I recognize that's not going to be a common answer, but that battle was incredible and up to the point of introducing Super Saiyans it really defined what a DBZ battle should be. This may be again just me saying this, but the Ocean dub in particular was fantastic, though the Funimation dub (pre-Kai) is great, as well. Don't get me wrong, the Namek saga was also amazing, and the moment in the Cell Saga where Gohan breaks through is just fantastic, but the Vegeta/Goku battle is just perfection for me.

The Cell Saga for Sure! It keep you on the edge of your see now to mention the Bruce Music was at and all time best during that sage as well. The Drama in it the building up now knowing what was going happen next My hero Goku dieing with the twist and turn until the end when Teen Gohan killed Cell.

Oh absolutely on the Bruce Falconer music. Gohan Angers 2 is the best piece of music in the entire DB series, any era.

Reactions: LividJay and Beerus

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
The Piccolo Daimao Saga in Dragon Ball, and the Freeza Saga in Dragon Ball Z. The Freeza Saga seems to be underrated in comparison to the Cell Saga in popularity in the West I've noticed, even though I don't think it's as good. As an honorable mention, I also really like the Saiyan Saga, and I think it's often overlooked in comparison to Freeza, Cell, and Boo.

Xen

Saiyan Grunt
Younger me always enjoyed the Cell saga the most, because of cool power-ups and stuff. But the me of now gravitates toward the Saiyan Saga. That fight between Goku and Vegeta was epic and gave us one of the most iconic scenes in all of the series. Not to mention that virtually every Z Warrior contributed meaningfully in the battles.

dragonballboy06

Saiyan Grunt
I like dbz in general, but I feel like it was always better when the characters were weaker.... more was at stake like DEATH... the fights were more nuanced and precise and technical....

But I feel like as time progressed and people got too strong it was more about explosions and transformations and you didn't really get a feeling that death was imminent....

but alas over dbz is great

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
I was just thinking about this. The Baby Saga of GT is my favorite GT Saga. I actually like it too.

GogetaBlue

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan
the Frieza saga because goku going super sayian is awesome. I can not find season five so it cut of when cell was coming.

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Saiyan Saga because it made you feel the stakes as the Z fighters were wiped out one by one. Will Son Goku make it in time? Is he powerful enough to stand up to this threat that felled so many of his allies? Kaoiken x4 Kamehameha vs Galick-ho!

Reactions: GogetaBlue

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
This is such a difficult question for me to answer because there were so many really awesome sagas. I loved the entire Piccolo Group. Completely agree with Super Kami Guru regarding the Saiyan Saga. The Frieza saga was a lot of fun and really shows how evil a being can be in the Dragon Ball Universe. Finally, the Cell Saga brought so much to the series showing room for future growth.

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Can I just say I *hate* how we in the West decided to categorize the Dragon Ball story arcs. A Saga, by definition, is not a small part of a larger story, which is how Dragon Ball Z classifies them as. A saga is the larger story. It's pointless syntax, I understand, by what other circumstance would you consider a large portion of a story a "group". It's dumb.

Anyway, the whole Future Trunks Saga as I'll choose to define it, since it clearly refers to the entire duration of Future Trunks time in DBZ which was definitely a saga, is easily my favorite. I'd say it's the peak of the series when it comes to character development, in large part due to getting the pay-off to Gohan's development, but it's worth noting Vegeta gets some of his strongest development here with Trunks (who himself has a solid arc). I also found the plot to be more engaging, if just because the actual antagonists are constantly changing. Was it 20 & 19, Nope! 17 & 18 are the real threats, and what's this, wrong again Trunks now we got a mysterious 16. But wait, now actually there's this really creepy horror bug thing named Cell. It's much more interesting then, Raditz going "there's two more coming this way" and then they came this way now fight. And I love how Cell's transformations relied on adsorbing the other two, since that creates different stakes and is more interesting than Frieza just having a bunch of transformations he didn't feel like using at the time. Which worked well dramatically for the fight, it just isn't engaging in a plot sense. Tien's moment of stalling Cell is one of the coolest things in the series, 16's death is one of the most effective emotional moment, 17 vs. Piccolo is my favorite fight in the series, and no fight in Dragon Ball will ever top the father-son Kamehameha climax. Honestly, think it has the best collection of fights too, 17 vs. Piccolo, Gohan vs. Cell, Goku vs. Cell are all top tier stuff. I always found the 19 battles fun, for seeing Goku on the ropes then Vegeta just clowning the poor Android (almost feel sorry for him running for his life).

Can't speak much to Dragon Ball since I saw it sporadically, Super which I've only see the movie recaps, or GT which I hated and couldn't get through the Baby stuff, but when it comes to Z, I will die on the hill that this was the best part of the series. Which in a way is a shame, since I actually think the Buu arc starts really promising (I actually thought it was going to become my favorite for awhile), but after all's said and done, it's probably my least favorite.

majin_vegetaDX

Saiyan Grunt
I liked the Buu Saga a lot. I found Kid Buu to be a very powerful and interesting enemy. (Plus we got normal Buu who is still hilarious in DBS the few times he is shown...)

• Thanks
Reactions: MOHH

Punkhead

High Speed God
Super Saiyan God
Frieza Saga and Cell Saga for different reasons. Seeing Goku reaching SS was mindblowing when I was a kid and I remember the entire saga very well, and Cell because of Gohan's overall arc...until The Great Sayian Man happened and ruined everything they did for Gohan in the Cell Saga.

• Agree
Reactions: LividJay
  • :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000: