General Politics Thread

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
Just plopping this here, it is about the minimum wage rise Biden says is coming.

A federal $15 minimum wage is going to shutter small businesses and cut a lot of jobs. The entire point of a company is to make money and they're not going to lose profits just to abide by a $15 minimum wage.

• Agree
Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
A federal $15 minimum wage is going to shutter small businesses and cut a lot of jobs. The entire point of a company is to make money and they're not going to lose profits just to abide by a $15 minimum wage.
With the inflation we have coming, this increase will not equate to much. The cost of living will go up in most places like it has in Cali. That $15 minimum wage will still be around $10 an hour when all is said and done but will ultimately cut a lot of jobs and businesses will be less likely to hire teens but they will also stockpile work on one individual. So like two job positions will be filled by one person doing the work expected of two people. Job positions will disappear from stores and companies will hire fewer people.

Most people demanding a minimum wage of $15 an hour don't understand how much damage this will do and I would expect most not to fully even understand why minimum wage was even used, to begin with. I just hope young folks are considering careers where jobs will remain in demand and not sinking thousands into colleges where they won't be able to find a job by the time they graduate.

• Agree
Reactions: India Actual

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Going to screw me over, because I earn the maximum I'm allowed to earn right now as a caregiver and still keep my health insurance. If the minimum goes up, I could lose that...awesome...

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I hope something is done to protect people in your position at least.
Agreed, I'll either have to take a cut in billable hours (it's 24/7 job, anyway, but I get to bill the caregiver agency for 26 hours a week so at least I get something out of it), in which case they'll auto-assign someone else to come in for a few hours a week, which is going to be a nightmare with my mother's situation, or I'll have to keep the hours and lose my health insurance coverage. As an insulin-dependent AND insulin resistant diabetic, that's going to be a tough one to swallow, as I won't be able to afford the ~$200 per-vial cost (for 7 vials per-month) because I use a type of insulin that does not have a generic equivalent (I use novolog, humalog is supposed to be equivalent but it does not regulate my sugars effectively at all, I just go sky high and stay there). So there goes a whole months' pay and more on just insulin...neat.

• Informative

Yoshi

Elite Saiyan Warrior
Super Saiyan God
This will help me personally even though I don't think it's a good idea. I'm autistic and I used to work minimum wage, and that was about half of $15 an hour.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Agreed, I'll either have to take a cut in billable hours (it's 24/7 job, anyway, but I get to bill the caregiver agency for 26 hours a week so at least I get something out of it), in which case they'll auto-assign someone else to come in for a few hours a week, which is going to be a nightmare with my mother's situation, or I'll have to keep the hours and lose my health insurance coverage. As an insulin-dependent AND insulin resistant diabetic, that's going to be a tough one to swallow, as I won't be able to afford the ~$200 per-vial cost (for 7 vials per-month) because I use a type of insulin that does not have a generic equivalent (I use novolog, humalog is supposed to be equivalent but it does not regulate my sugars effectively at all, I just go sky high and stay there). So there goes a whole months' pay and more on just insulin...neat.
Maybe the insurance company will make adjustments because it would still technically be minimum wage so I would imagine they would lower their maximum earning threshold.

• Agree
Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Maybe the insurance company will make adjustments because it would still technically be minimum wage so I would imagine they would lower their maximum earning threshold.
I'm hoping so, that's for sure. It would absolutely suck to lose my health insurance because the minimum wage went up...it's not like I'm out there living the good life on the money I pull in!

• Agree

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I'm hoping so, that's for sure. It would absolutely suck to lose my health insurance because the minimum wage went up...it's not like I'm out there living the good life on the money I pull in!
Yeah things really need to be sorted out more on an individual basis for things like this. I was just talking to Jay last night about getting rid of the minimum wage.

You can't just outright remove it though because corporations like Amazon and Walmart will abuse that. What I think should be done is that there is a minimum wage bar set so smaller businesses can pay as much or as little as they desire to help the businesses grow and larger businesses like Walmart who can afford the $15 minimum should be obligated to pay it. I think it is unfair to force all businesses to pay something like this when many smaller ones won't be able to afford it, especially not smaller restaurants.

And inline with your concerns, I think people earning a living for basic care of a loved one should be guaranteed some standardized insurance. It doesn't make sense to penalize people in your position when you are actually doing the state a favor.

• Agree
Reactions: Super Kami Guru

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Yeah things really need to be sorted out more on an individual basis for things like this. I was just talking to Jay last night about getting rid of the minimum wage.

You can't just outright remove it though because corporations like Amazon and Walmart will abuse that. What I think should be done is that there is a minimum wage bar set so smaller businesses can pay as much or as little as they desire to help the businesses grow and larger businesses like Walmart who can afford the $15 minimum should be obligated to pay it. I think it is unfair to force all businesses to pay something like this when many smaller ones won't be able to afford it, especially not smaller restaurants.

And inline with your concerns, I think people earning a living for basic care of a loved one should be guaranteed some standardized insurance. It doesn't make sense to penalize people in your position when you are actually doing the state a favor.
I agree with that completely, make the big corporations pay the full minimum wage, and tier it down based on the size of the business, not to something unreasonable like $2/hr, but maybe bottom out at ~$10/hr so it's still a livable wage, but not back breaking on the company. If they can afford to pay more than minimum, then fantastic and they should, but at least they're not being forced to shell out a minimum wage that's beyond them to afford.

Yeah, it would be great if they took into account what caregivers are actually doing. I hope they raise the ceiling on earnings to accommodate the wage increase or I'm in trouble, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in that situation.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
RIP Orange Man Bad

aV7Wj8d_700b.jpg

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking: