Dragon Ball How would today's fanbase react to Dragon Ball?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
This would never air today in America nor in Japan. So edgy. :LOL:

Oh geeze I forgot about this. I mean DBZ was intended for an older audience. I mean I knew what Russian Roulette was when I was 13. I wasn't dumb enough to play it but it seems like kids are getting dumber and dumber so it would be a good thing that this wouldn't air today. lol

Reactions: India Actual

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
Oh geeze I forgot about this. I mean DBZ was intended for an older audience. I mean I knew what Russian Roulette was when I was 13. I wasn't dumb enough to play it but it seems like kids are getting dumber and dumber so it would be a good thing that this wouldn't air today. lol
Well you only need to slap the word challenge onto anything and kids'll do it. Tide pods, bleach, russian roulette? They're down!

Teen Gohan

Saiyan Warrior
It'd do okay, but it nearly wouldn't be as big as people think. Dragonball Z is only on my list cause of nostalgia. If it weren't for that, it wouldn't be even on the list.

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
If Dragon Ball came out today as a new series it wouldn't get popular enough to have these conversations. Most of the people who watch it will likely already be anime fans, and I'm not sure there's anything in terms of sexual content that they haven't seen already (unless the anime shows Goku penis like the manga does, I doubt that'd make the broadcast version regardless). And in terms of Roshi, I think the best comparison point there is My Hero Academia. My Hero Academia does have a pervert character named Mineta who is generally hated by a larger portion of the fanbase for being a creepy pervert. And often times those discussions will bring up Roshi, with a lot of people stating he's better than Mineta because he has more to his personality than just perving on girls. Roshi's either used as defense of Mineta for those who like him or an attack against Mineta to explain why he doesn't work. Of course there are people who don't like Roshi (me included), but considering how I've seen him used in comparison to Mineta, I think the anime community would still generally be receptive to him. And again, I don't think Dragon Ball would really break out of that crowd, the anime market's much more saturated and the way people consume media is much more different I don't think Dragon Ball would get the spotlight chance to break out.

Like for example, there's an anime called Magi, which definitely not My Hero Academia levels, is still fairly popular within that community. On MAL it's ranked the 105th most popular anime. Anyway, in that show, the main character Aladdin loves big soft boobs and just will leap on towards them and fondle them. Whether it's from a woman or just a really fat guy, he loves boobs and he's going to grope em. Granted it came out eight years ago which was a different landscape but still, how many people here have heard people complain about this? I watched several episodes of this show and I never heard people complaining about this. I think Dragon Ball, if it was brand new, would fall into that camp. If it it's complained about, it will just be lumped in with anime as a medium getting complained at.

Reactions: Beerus

LividJay

Meh
Super Saiyan God
Like for example, there's an anime called Magi, which definitely not My Hero Academia levels, is still fairly popular within that community. On MAL it's ranked the 105th most popular anime. Anyway, in that show, the main character Aladdin loves big soft boobs and just will leap on towards them and fondle them.
I believe I recall this anime...it was quite enjoyable, if I remember correctly.

Kid Goku

VIdeospiel-Man Website IS Out! Enjoy Chapters 1+2!
Super Saiyan 4
There is no way roshi would still be the pervert nowadays the Pervets are small boys which to be fair is much Funnier!
If roshi was a perv he would be hated by certain groups also there would be outcrys that dbzs cast consits of exclusivly white man!

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
There is no way roshi would still be the pervert nowadays the Pervets are small boys which to be fair is much Funnier!
If roshi was a perv he would be hated by certain groups also there would be outcrys that dbzs cast consits of exclusivly white man!
They toned him down some and the woke crowd have tried to cancel him many times, but to no avail. Roshi is a solidified character and he's not going anywhere!

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
They toned him down some and the woke crowd have tried to cancel him many times, but to no avail. Roshi is a solidified character and he's not going anywhere!

They might've toned him down in Z, but I'd argue Roshi's more perverted than he's every been in Super. There was like a whole episode just about him trying to force himself on some martial artist chick who was out for Tien's blood.

• Funny

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
They might've toned him down in Z, but I'd argue Roshi's more perverted than he's every been in Super. There was like a whole episode just about him trying to force himself on some martial artist chick who was out for Tien's blood.
I forgot about this but they needed to emphasize his lust and perversion for young fit women so he could overcome it in the tournament. So it was justified being there for me.

Mustafar Reginald

Elite Saiyan Warrior
I forgot about this but they needed to emphasize his lust and perversion for young fit women so he could overcome it in the tournament. So it was justified being there for me.

Fair, there is a reason for it. I'd argue we didn't need a full episode for that but my point was mostly that with how Super handles his perversion, it seems to me that if Dragon Ball was first made today, if anything Roshi would've been more perverted.

Still though, I don't like how Roshi's pervert jokes have been handled in Super. It feels like anytime Roshi's perversion gets brought up as a joke, in the anime or the manga (which I don't believe Roshi actually overcame his lust in the manga, though my memory's hazy), the punchline is basically that Roshi's an ineffective rapist. I remember the good old days where the jokes where stuff like, wouldn't it be funny if the way they beat the invisible man was Roshi saw Bulma's tits and nosebleed so hard that his spray completely covered the invisible man? In Super it's all like, wouldn't it be funny if Roshi's training was just him trying to bust a nut in Puar?

Which incidentally, I actually like to believe Roshi succeeded and the whole overcoming lust thing in the Tournament of Power was just his post-nut clarity. Because really, would anything kill his libido more than the realization that he unloaded into a male cat?

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: