Dragon Ball How would today's fanbase react to Dragon Ball?

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
How do you think today's fanbase would react if Dragon Ball was a new anime and nothing was changed from the original story?

I have always enjoyed Master Roshi. He's an old pervert. He isn't someone you want to look up to as a role model in regards to those attributes and most people know this. I feel like if the anime were to come out today, it would not be so widely loved and a big part of that would come down to Master Roshi being Master Roshi. People would take this anime like it is real life and just get offended by it, and not in the good sense of the term (comedy is meant to be offensive). Because people are so keen on being PC, they would view him as a monster and because it is an animated series that isn't filled with swearing, people would just assume it was kids' programming which would make it even worse.

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I think there's still a fan base that would be very accepting of it. A lot of the stuff Goku did back then is similar to a lot of new anime coming out today and within the past decade.
Oh, I am sure, like all of us here would enjoy it but you know how loud the vocal minority can be when something offensive they don't understand offends them lol

I do see people complaining about it today, like Dragon Ball and DBZ both but the fanbase is so large at this point, their crying gets no traction and no one cares because Japan >

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Well, Master Roshi did hit on an underage 16yo Bulma.
Depending on the area, it goes from 13 to 18 for legal consent. Though for the sake of it being in modern times, Bulma would likely be 18 if it were to come out today. But if this isn't changed then it could be a pretty big issue.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I still think it would find an audience, but yeah, it would be a target of the pc police in seconds, no question. Can't have a pervert in today's programming, even one as lovable as Roshi. Can't have a little boy discovering that girls don't have balls, either, because in this day age, some do...so...yeah, it would not get past the offended generation for a second and DB would never have become what we know and love today.

• Funny
Reactions: LividJay

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
I still think it would find an audience, but yeah, it would be a target of the pc police in seconds, no question. Can't have a pervert in today's programming, even one as lovable as Roshi. Can't have a little boy discovering that girls don't have balls, either, because in this day age, some do...so...yeah, it would not get past the offended generation for a second and DB would never have become what we know and love today.
I forgot about that. The outrage over Goku assuming Bulma was a boy to begin with... Hell hath no fury like an online internet community being offended on other people's behalfs.

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
I forgot about that. The outrage over Goku assuming Bulma was a boy to begin with... Hell hath no fury like an online internet community being offended on other people's behalfs.
Like oh my gawd, did you just assume Bulma's gender? Bulma's non-binary gender-fluid space mucus, you shall refer to them as it, they, that or sputum, you mean person!

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: LividJay and Beerus

Beerus

•🅷•🅰•🅺•🅰•🅸•
Admin
Like oh my gawd, did you just assume Bulma's gender? Bulma's non-binary gender-fluid space mucus, you shall refer to them as it, they, that or sputum, you mean person!

giphy.gif
Could you imagine if aliens came to earth and their first experience with humans was a group of people screaming over using the wrong pronouns?

India Actual

Super Civil Servant Blue
Super Saiyan Blue
It's a good thing the kids these days know next to nothing about Dragon Ball and have only watched censored DBZ in English and DBS which was softened up quite a bit. Bulma has always been sexualized for the sake of comedy. Whether it be toilet humor or gags that involve nudity. She just also happens to be a strong female character because of her intellect and tenacity.

If the series came out today it would have zero nudity. Roshi wouldn't be a pervert, Bulma would have been changed to be more respectful with people praising her smarts, and Goku would even be changed slightly to be less crass and look up to Bulma more.

Reactions: Beerus

Super Kami Guru

Head Maid
Legendary Saiyan
It's a good thing the kids these days know next to nothing about Dragon Ball and have only watched censored DBZ in English and DBS which was softened up quite a bit. Bulma has always been sexualized for the sake of comedy. Whether it be toilet humor or gags that involve nudity. She just also happens to be a strong female character because of her intellect and tenacity.

If the series came out today it would have zero nudity. Roshi wouldn't be a pervert, Bulma would have been changed to be more respectful with people praising her smarts, and Goku would even be changed slightly to be less crass and look up to Bulma more.
...so DB Evolutions?

• :)
  • :shock3:
  • :ssgrin:
  • :stop2:
  • :tasty:
  • :thinking:
  • :what:
  • :yes:
  • :stinky:
  • :9000:
  • :beer: